• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Lace-ups, Brogues, shiny leather shoes, etc.

Brian SD

Reaction score
I have realized lately that my wardrobe has a severe deficit of leather lace-ups. I need to expand this territory a bit.. I'll be picking up at least one pair sometime soon here, but I want to look around a bit first. I might end up paying full retail. This is a situation where I don't mind it if it ensures that I get a pair of extremely nice shoes.

Was hoping for a black low-cut, sleek plain-toe or whole cut. However it's been difficult to find some that aren't either too boring nor too adventurous

Hopefully this thread will be of used to others out there, and we can pool together some good pics/links.

Anyway, I know some of you (GS, Rye, SoCal) have a closet stacked with nice shoes so any input would be greatly appreciated. So far things I've found that I like are:

auspientimagingti9.jpg

Paul Smith - $453 from Blue Beetle
Really nice, though I haven't really entirely warmed up to the idea of brogues. Though they would probably go well with Thick as Thieves trousers. Sockless, of course.
bigstar[1].gif

auspientimaginggi1.jpg

Acne - $424 from Blue Beetle
These are probably the closest I could find to what I'm after, as of now.

fbarnenooe2.jpg

Fiorentini + Baker - £160 from SOLE
I'm mainly only looking for black shoes but these were cool enough I thought I'd share. I'm assuming the leather is pretty soft and wouldn't stay permanently creased up around the ankle there.

Get Smart

Don't Crink
Reaction score
Brian, the PS brogues are really cool. Leather is super soft and supple, no breaking in needed. I am picking up another pair in reddish maroon during their sale which starts in a couple weeks (my SA already has mine set aside). You'd be better off driving to LA and getting them for 40% off rather than paying full price from Beetle. If you know your size I could probably get it set aside so you don't drive up to find it's sold out. There are other shoes at PS that would fit your bill for less $ too...it might be worth a drive up when the sale starts and see what fits and what's left

other options...I really like Church's brogues, which you can find in LA at Saks on Wilshire. A bit pricier at retail (around $550) and I know there's dissenting opinions of Prada owned Church's but I still dig their classic brogue.

The Acnes are nice and simple, kinda pricey for something I've never seen before IRL

braidkid

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
sweet thread...i've just been looking for the same thing. I have several pairs of boots, but not many lace up shoes. I love all the one's you posted Brian. Damn, i wish someone could get me a pair of PS on sale...

Anyway, I really love these...
http://www.amazon.com/Ted-Baker-Espr...461633&sr=1-22

they come in black too!

Omegablogger

Reaction score
Grenson's might not be fashionable enough for you but they are a cheap way to get a taste of the classic English shoe.

1436featherzola.jpg

1437feathermaldini.jpg

1984rushdennoble.jpg

Oh and brown > black
smile.gif

drizzt3117

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Santoni makes some shoes in their Nuvola line that have a nice sleek chiseled toe and are relatively inexpensive. Some of the other Italian designers may have something that might work for you as well. I believe Moreschi has a three eyelet plaintoe that is pretty minimalist.

Brian SD

Reaction score
Originally Posted by drizzt3117
Brian, if these are in your size, this might be a good deal for the Acnes. Guise usually has a coupon floating around somewhere too. http://www.guisestore.com/product_p/20063.htm
Nice! That's hard to pass up. Really hard. They do have my size, actually. Jason, 40% off sounds pretty damn nice. I'd be way into them at that price. I might have to make my way up there or if it's a weekday have you pick some up for me. Omega, those Grensons are cool.

Fuuma

Franchouillard Modasse
Reaction score
I suggest looking at Sutor Mantelassi, their offerings can sometimes be odiously ugly but their sleeker models are great for a more casual/fashion forward wearer.

Brian SD

Reaction score
Originally Posted by Fuuma
I suggest looking at Sutor Mantelassi, their offerings can sometimes be odiously ugly but their sleeker models are great for a more casual/fashion forward wearer.
I remember a time awhile ago (before the S&D forum existed) where there was some huge deal on Mantellassis, and I missed out on some shell cordovans for cheap from a forum member's website. I love their whole cuts.
9711fu5rm0.jpg
Love those but they are a bit too formal for my needs, I think. Definitely want something I can wear with tapered jeans as well as with suits.

Coulomb

Reaction score
i'll second the ps brogues. i have sundance, which is the boot version. like what gs said, the leather is very soft and there's no breaking in required.

i also have a pair of c&j's finsbury brogues (341 last).

i would said between the two shoes, the c&j's are better constructed and will have better durability.

in terms of comfort the ps's take the hat. the c&j's were actually incredibly uncomfortable until the leather began to become softer after break in.

as for versatility, i would say the c&j's are better. the form of the shoe is understated and subtle enough for business attire yet with a few scuffs and abrasions, it can develop into a fine shoe to pair with jeans. the cut and shape of the ps's are a tad too edgy for dressy occassions and i think they match better with casual dress.

if i were you, i would get a pair of weymouths from plal. the handgrade c&j's are made very well and the price point is very attractive. the whole cut brown calf is nice and i really like the medallion. the 337 last is a favorite among many of the members of this forum.

Brian SD

Reaction score
if i were you, i would get a pair of weymouths from plal. the handgrade c&j's are made very well and the price point is very attractive. the whole cut brown calf is nice and i really like the medallion. the 337 last is a favorite among many of the members of this forum.
Weymouths have been a consideration for a LONG time. I do agree that they are probably more versatile for a person who wears mostly business or formal clothing, but for someone who wears mostly street clothing with the occasional business/formal, the PS shoes might be more versatile. I do definitely want to get a pair of nice brown English shoes to really break in, though. With the amount of walking I do (something that will be increasing yet in the coming months), I could definitely break them in quickly. For reference for others, these are the C&J Weymouths:
weymouthsmallxa9.jpg

lefty

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Can I get a streetwear clarification?

If I buy a pair of jeans for $300 that are pristine and put my own fading on them through actual wear, I'm a rockstar.

But if I buy a pair of jeans for $300 that have been pre-distressed, I'm a douchebag. That about right?

On the other hand, a pair of $400 pristine shoes such as the Weymouths or the Mantellassis that I put my own wear into won't cut it on the street. Instead I need a pair of $400 pre-distressed shoes like the PS that look like they came out of the ass end of an elephant for true street rockstarosity?

How do you guys keep it all straight?

Why not just buy the pristine denim and shoes at the same time and let them grow old together?

lefty

Saucemaster

Sized Down 2
Reaction score
Originally Posted by lefty
Why not just buy the pristine denim and shoes at the same time and let them grow old together?

Who's stopping you? And just how "predistressed" do those Paul Smith's look to you?

lefty

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Saucemaster
Who's stopping you? And just how "predistressed" do those Paul Smith's look to you?

Pretty distressed, but I guess nothing that a decent polish couldn't fix.

Just trying to understand the rules of the street.

Nothing personal, sauce.

lefty

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 92 37.6%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 36.7%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 26 10.6%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 41 16.7%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.5%

Forum statistics

Threads