• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Lace Gap concern........

Elegantly Defined

Reaction score
Just received these AE Strands in 10.5 B...Love these shoes but they are pretty tight. What do you guys think?

[ATTACHMENT=11944]IMG_0767.JPG (730k. JPG file)[/ATTACHMENT]

Fred G. Unn

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Way too narrow. Why did you get a B width? Did you try on a D or E?

Elegantly Defined

Reaction score
Didn't try them on because I purchased them online. There is still some space regarding the length of the shoe but I'm afraid 10 might be too small. Has anyone else dropped half a size in AE?

yanagi

Reaction score

Didn't try them on because I purchased them online. There is still some space regarding the length of the shoe but I'm afraid 10 might be too small. Has anyone else dropped half a size in AE?

What made you think you were a B width?

Journeyman

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Just received these AE Strands in 10.5 B...Love these shoes but they are pretty tight. What do you guys think?

How do they feel across the ball of your foot (that's the widest part of your foot, behind your toes)? Are the shoes too tight at that point?

Unless they are too tight at that point, then your issue is not the width, but rather the instep height - the vertical height of the shoes at the part where they lace up. As you can see, you've got a huge "v"-shaped gap where the laces do up and that, to me, indicates that the last (the shape on which the shoe is built) is unsuited to your instep height.

I've got the same issue with Allen-Edmonds shoes, particularly the "5" last which certain models like the Park Avenue and the Fifth Avenue are built on. It's simply too flat for my feet and the shape doesn't have enough vertical height where the shoes lace up.

It is possible to try to overcome an instep height problem by getting wider-fitting shoes or by going up half-a-size (or both), as that gives your feet more space, but it's hardly an ideal solution as it means that you're getting a shoe that is too large or too wide for you, so as to deal with a fit problem in a different part of the shoe.

If there's somewhere near you that stocks Allen-Edmonds shoes, then try on some different sizes and widths, but be prepared to accept that the fit of that particular last is simply not for you, and look around for shoes that have higher insteps.

Elegantly Defined

Reaction score
@journeyman, that may be it. I'm having the same kind of pressure/pain on and on top of my 5th metatarsal with my cavanaughs...Which are made on a 114 lasts. I have a fairly normal arch from what I've been told.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 85 37.3%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 87 38.2%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 24 10.5%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 36 15.8%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 36 15.8%

Forum statistics

Threads