• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Labels inside a jacket?

chorse123

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Of course one is to remove labels and tags from the outside of the jacket. But do any of you also remove labels from inside the jacket? There's a tag inside a Belvest jacket of mine that screams "4 ply Super 100's." It bothers me a little, and I'm going to take it out. Just curious if I'm the only one who has taken this slightly obsessive step.

Bunter

Reaction score
How does that bother you? 4 ply super 100's is good clobber.

weeks

Reaction score
The only inside tags that I remove are tags with the name of the previous owner of MTM or bespoke sportcoats or suits.

I suppose it could be kind of cool to have no labels at all inside my coats. A "I dont care about labels" kind of look.

dah328

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I have removed interior labels, too. One maker has particularly gaudy labels that I can't stand on the inside of my jacket. I don't think he'd go for leaving the labels off, but it's easy enough to just remove them.

dan

odoreater

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I take off the store labels (e.g., a label that says "Bergdorf Goodman" or something like that).

NoVaguy

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I would take them off if they had somebody else's name on them (never had anything like that though), or if they're seconds that have been seriously cut/marked (I did it with a BR jacket once - the entire BR had been cut from the label). Otherwise, I leave them as they are.

Bradford

Current Events Moderator
Reaction score
Maybe it's just me - but sometimes I like having the inside labels to remind myself what brand something is... I tend to forget the names and sizes that I have purchased and if I'm thinking of buying something new, I will sometimes go back and figure out what I already have.

Vintage Gent

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
On behalf of all of us who haunt thrift stores, please, please, please don't excise the label. Once the jacket has left your benevolent stewardship--by chance or nature's changing course--that label may be the most important tool we thrift store junkies have.

AlanC

Minister of Trad
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Vintage Gent
On behalf of all of us who haunt thrift stores, please, please, please don't excise the label. Once the jacket has left your benevolent stewardship--by chance or nature's changing course--that label may be the most important tool we thrift store junkies have.
Agreed. I come across items with removed labels all along. I've never understood it.

Vintage Gent

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by chorse123
I'm not planning on taking out the Belvest label. That one makes me happy.

Well then. Remove at your heart's content.
sly.gif

GBR

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I instruct my tailor to put any labels he wishes to use INSIDE a specified inner pocket:

date/name goes in breast right as usual
'His' label INSIDE the lower left ticket pocket.

I have my name embroidered above the in breast tight.

I know my tailors name - if anyone admires his work I willingly point them to him. Otherwise his name has no earthly reason to be exhibited even for occasional public sight.

whoopee

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I also put my fabric and tailor labels inside the pockets. Much cleaner look.

NukeMeSlowly

Reaction score
I have removed interior labels for an imperative, functional reason - the damn things were fraying my suspenders! These were MTM jackets and the tailors' labels were large and made of abrasive material.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 91 37.9%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 89 37.1%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 25 10.4%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 39 16.3%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 37 15.4%

Forum statistics

Threads