• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • We would like to welcome House of Huntington as an official Affiliate Vendor. Shop past season Drake's, Nigel Cabourn, Private White V.C. and other menswear luxury brands at exceptional prices below retail. Please visit the Houise of Huntington thread and welcome them to the forum.

• STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

LA trip

DaveDr89

Reaction score
any suggestions on must-see clothing establishment in LA? searched some old threads and saw one suggestion to make an appointment to see shopthefinest.com.

I'm not really in the market for anything in particular as I've just spent too much money on recent additions, but if there is a good bargain you never know. What I'm in most need of is a blue blazer of high quality. on some other old threads I saw some references to stores that carried C&J shoes, so that might be worth checking out for future orders from plal.com

JLibourel

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
If you do Rodeo Drive and environs, South Coast Plaza and Fashion Island, you've covered nearly all the high-end menswear scene in the greater LA area, not counting outlet malls like Cabazon and whatnot.

The only places I am aware of that stock C&J shoes are Barney's in Beverly Hills (a few styles), and I think the Polo Shops in BH and South Coast may have a few C&J styles under the Ralph Lauren label. This is not a great area for English shoes, although Gary's in Fashion Island recently started stocking Edward Greens and a John Lobb Paris store opened in South Coast last year.

Roikins

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by JLibourel
If you do Rodeo Drive and environs, South Coast Plaza and Fashion Island, you've covered nearly all the high-end menswear scene in the greater LA area, not counting outlet malls like Cabazon and whatnot.

The only places I am aware of that stock C&J shoes are Barney's in Beverly Hills (a few styles), and I think the Polo Shops in BH and South Coast may have a few C&J styles under the Ralph Lauren label. This is not a great area for English shoes, although Gary's in Fashion Island recently started stocking Edward Greens and a John Lobb Paris store opened in South Coast last year.

Turnbull & Asser on Brighton in BH has a lot of C&J shoes.

Neo1824

Reaction score
Ian at Shop the Finest would be a good stop. He's in Santa Monica. You'd need to call to set a appointment to see the warehouse.

jyook

Reaction score
My opinion of course, but I seem to find better shopping at South Coast Plaza and Fashion Island in Newport Beach than I do Rodeo Drive.

If you're in LA, you'll have to drive about 45 minutes South on the 405 Freeway.

joshb

Reaction score
I would definitely recommend a trip over to see Simon at Turnbull & Asser. They have a wide range of C&J, and he's a really personable guy.

DaveDr89

Reaction score
okay thanks I'll check out Turnbull & Asser ... I've bought 3 pairs of C&J from plal.com and am looking to expand the collection in the near future, but it's sometimes hard to tell by looking at online pics so I'm eager top see the actual shoes in person ... how are the prices at Turnbull & Assers compared to plal.com?

DaveDr89

Reaction score
is the garment district worth checking out?

joshb

Reaction score
Originally Posted by DaveDr89
... how are the prices at Turnbull & Assers compared to plal.com?

To be blunt, they're quite a bit higher. But to be fair, they have to pay exorbitant rent to keep a nice brick and mortar location in Beverly Hills. I think that the prices on handgrades were ~$695. They have some great braces, ties, and though opinions differ I do like their shirts as well. Well worth the visit, you'll have a good time and be well taken care of.

You never know what you might find at Barney's/Saks/Neimans in BevHills as well. All the sales are probably done (for sure long over at Barney's), but all three are right there so it wouldn't hurt. If you like Rem Koolhaas, you can stop in Prada and check out the store. I don't and the LA store design didn't help to change that. If you're in the market for Jewelry (wifey, etc.), I highly recommend Leon's on Beverly. Some of the stuff is overly opulent for my taste, but he has and can do classic designs, and is extremely honest and professional.

Having grown up around the garment business, and thus around the garment district, I think I can safely tell you that you should take a pass. I suppose it depends on what you're looking for, but from what I can gather, it would be a complete waste of your time.

Get Smart

Don't Crink
Reaction score

yes if you want a fuschia 6 button suit with a shirt, hanky, and a tie for $199

earthdragon

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
+10 on Ian, at Shop The Finest in Santa Monica. Allow yourself 2-3 Hours to take in the full experience of 'browsing' the warehouse.

DaveDr89

Reaction score
... got back from the trip yesterday ... met both Ian at Shop the Fineest and Simom at Turnbull & Asser ... both very nice people! I recommend a visit to either establishment whenever one is in LA ...

lawyerdad

Lying Dog-faced Pony Soldier
Reaction score

Originally Posted by Get Smart
yes if you want a fuschia 6 button suit with a shirt, hanky, and a tie for $199

Probably not as a visitor, anyway. I know some people who have cultivated relationships with business located in the garment district that have worked out well for them. But there's a lot of schlock, and I'm not aware of any way of separating the wheat from the chaff without a considerable investment of time and energy.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 55 35.5%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 60 38.7%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 17 11.0%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 27 17.4%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 28 18.1%

Forum statistics

Threads