• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

LA to SF: 101 or 1?

emptym

Reaction score
I'm planning to ride down from SF to LA tomorrow, then back on Friday. What's the best route? Any good things to see on the way?

In terms of route, I know that 1 is more beautiful, but slower than 101. How long would it take going the whole way on 1? Someone told me it'd take two days. I'm thinking of taking 1 for half the trip, then switching to 101 half the way down, and then doing the same on the way back up. That way I'll see the whole of 1 and not take too much time.

Any wise recommendations?

gamelan

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
if you're gonna do the 1 which will take forever, do it from about Santa Barbara to Carmel. that's the most scenic part.

-Jeff

Xiaogou

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by gamelan
if you're gonna do the 1 which will take forever, do it from about Santa Barbara to Carmel. that's the most scenic part.

-Jeff

Excellent advice. The view is so worth it.

MetroStyles

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Take 1. Leave at like 10 to avoid rush hour. You will be in LA at a reasonable hour, depending on how often you stop - it is really pretty empty during weekdays. There are so many places to stop and take gorgeous pics along the way. +1 on Carmel - beautiful beaches and the color of the ocean is really nice.

Oh, and I'd just take 1 all the way and then 101 the other way. I like seeing it all in one day but that might just be me.

emptym

Reaction score
Thanks guys. I've ridden 14-15 hrs. in a day before, but then I need a day for my butt, neck, etc. to recover. So I may do 1 the whole way down. I'll see how I feel and where I am.

Just got off the phone w/ a friend who grew up in Monterey. He suggests I take 1 down to Saint Lois Obispo, and then stick to 101 when they separate.

Any good, cheap restaurants or attractions on the way?

matadorpoeta

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by emptym
Thanks guys. I've ridden 14-15 hrs. in a day before, but then I need a day for my butt, neck, etc. to recover. So I may do 1 the whole way down. I'll see how I feel and where I am.

Just got off the phone w/ a friend who grew up in Monterey. He suggests I take 1 down to Saint Lois Obispo, and then stick to 101 when they separate.

Any good, cheap restaurants or attractions on the way?

no way! take pch all the way down! take the 5 on your way back.

thomaswendell

Reaction score
Ventura to Carmel, for the 1,

In the daylight, check for fog first, make sure it is not raining...

Best drive in the world on a nice day.

Worst drive on the planet at night or in the fog...

Good luck...

emptym

Reaction score
Thanks guys! Weather looks good, but your warning about the night, TW, is a good one. Thanks. After checking out a few threads on ADVrider, I see that there's a vintage motorcycle museum halfway down. PSG may not forgive me if I don't stop to see it.

acidboy

Stylish Dinosaur
Spamminator Moderator
Reaction score
^^^ ummm, emptym lives in SF.

emptym, like your other thread, I hope you share your pics and stories here. have a safe trip!

emptym

Reaction score
Will do AB. Made it down in the 10.5 hrs Google maps predicted. At first I thought, "This is nice, but I've seen better on the East Coast." But then that incomparable Western grandeur cranked it up a notch. Sheer rocky cliffs, huge rolling green hills, varied blues in the ocean with white-foamed waves crashing against the black stone outcroppings. Several nice beaches and wooded campgrouds too. It was incredible. I took a couple picts and will post them when I get home on Friday. While all of it was great, the views by Devil's Slide, Santa Cruz and Big Sur were just glorious. I revelled in a strangely reassuring senses of my own insignificance that came from having massive cliffs on my left and the endless Pacific ocean to the right. I knew it'd be a special trip when a sign said twisty roads for the next sixty miles! Usually the warning is just for . 5 miles or maybe a couple miles. Need to do it again sometime in a car with someone else driving, so I can just enjoy the views. Nearly went over the guard rails a couple times while glancing around. Wouldn't have been good, especially when over the rails was a hundred feet, plus, of sheer cliff running straight down to the rocks and ocean. Ouch. On ADVrider there's a video of some nut going 2-3xs the speed I went. Badass dude. My favorite part is the second half with the tango (?) music. It really looks like he's dancing with his bike.

tiecollector

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Take 1 around Carmel. I-5 is the fastest, I routinely drive over 100mph.

kaxixi

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by emptym
Will do AB. Made it down in the 10.5 hrs Google maps predicted. At first I thought, "This is nice, but I've seen better on the East Coast." But then that incomparable Western grandeur cranked it up a notch. Sheer rocky cliffs, huge rolling green hills, varied blues in the ocean with white-foamed waves crashing against the black stone outcroppings. Several nice beaches and wooded campgrouds too. It was incredible. I took a couple picts and will post them when I get home on Friday.

While all of it was great, the views by Devil's Slide, Santa Cruz and Big Sur were just glorious. I revelled in a strangely reassuring senses of my own insignificance that came from having massive cliffs on my left and the endless Pacific ocean to the right. I knew it'd be a special trip when a sign said twisty roads for the next sixty miles! Usually the warning is just for . 5 miles or maybe a couple miles.

Need to do it again sometime in a car with someone else driving, so I can just enjoy the views. Nearly went over the guard rails a couple times while glancing around. Wouldn't have been good, especially when over the rails was a hundred feet, plus, of sheer cliff running straight down to the rocks and ocean. Ouch.

On ADVrider there's a video of some nut going 2-3xs the speed I went. Badass dude. My favorite part is the second half with the tango (?) music. It really looks like he's dancing with his bike.

That sign is 5 miles South of our house. A few weeks back a couple of Stanford GSB kids went over the side rails driving down to an event at night. They did not survive. It is a very dangerous drive.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 91 37.6%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 37.2%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 25 10.3%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 40 16.5%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.7%

Forum statistics

Threads