1. And... we're back. You'll notice that all of your images are back as well, as are our beloved emoticons, including the infamous :foo: We have also worked with our server folks and developers to fix the issues that were slowing down the site.

There is still work to be done - the images in existing sigs are not yet linked, for example, and we are working on a way to get the images to load faster - which will improve the performance of the site, especially on the pages with a ton of images, and we will continue to work diligently on that and keep you updated.

Cheers,

Fok on behalf of the entire Styleforum team
    Dismiss Notice

LA Times: How Douchey Jeans Are Made

Discussion in 'Streetwear and Denim' started by bl@ster, Aug 13, 2011.

1. bl@ster

bl@ster Senior member

Last edited: Aug 13, 2011
  2. Zeemon

Zeemon Senior member

she wrote that jeans were fashion-forward i don't get how you could come to this idea

3. NeopreneJeans

NeopreneJeans Senior member

That's pretty much the go-to phrase for journalists explaining something in fashion they don't understand / approve of.

4. Mauro

Mauro Senior member Affiliate Vendor

Washington, DC and a few months out of the year in
    First off , Blaster your ascetics are yours alone.. Secondly, I think the article did a great job of explaining the wash process without getting overly detailed while entertaining the reader.
    Adriano is a great guy with great vision and is a well respected figure in the fashion and denim industry.

Blaster, you might not like the Brands Adriano has helped make successful but it doesn't give you the right to speak badly about him or the compaines mentioned int he article. A lot of the jeans you think are worth while are around because of Adriano and people of his caliber.
    He was washing jeans before you were probably walking.

The forum is a good place to learn and express ideas but it's just not cool to write what you think is "absurd" when you don't know shit about the denim industry.

5. srgprod

srgprod Senior member

+ 1 Big Time. Way to go Mauro! It's so easy to talk shit on these forums, esp. when you don't know the facts.

6. AtrocityVector

AtrocityVector Active Member

Agree that they're shit but I'd rather see all the guidos and people with no taste wearing these than slim raws.

7. bl@ster

bl@ster Senior member

Well, the guidos and Mauro. They go great with an Ed Hardy t-shirt.

8. brad-t

brad-t Senior member

Sorry not all of us want to wear the same pair of pants for a year without washing them to get distressing. Details don't make you a douche. Getting this bent out of shape about some people preferring pre-distressed denim does, though.

9. Mauro

Wow, Thank you, Uncontrol . you are correct.

Blaster,
    Your out of line and you know NOTHING and it shows in your post.

10. SeanathonHuff

SeanathonHuff Senior member

I would be open to prewashed denim if they looked as good, brand new, as reputable raw denims look at any stage in their life cycle. The problem is... I haven't found any washed denim brands that achieve this.

11. cyc wid it

cyc wid it Senior member

12. dsoren

dsoren Senior member

I'm not a fan of AG or Diesel, but there is some great washed denim out there. As cyc mentioned, Jean Shop and Dior are great; I'm a huge fan of R13 as well. RRL has some great washes, Rag & Bone, Robert Geller, Simon Miller, even Baldwin now...

There is shitty washed denim out there, just like there is shitty raw denim out there. The idea that raw is the only way to go is stupid as hell.

13. Mauro

G is a front runner in development. Koo's ( sp) is one of the few companies that is completely vertical. There is a fit for almost everyone. I use to wear a pair of jeans that wear washed 8 oz supima cotton until I ripped them. The wear great for Summer in D.C.

AtrocityVector- Can you please explain to all of us why the jeans are shit? You can start with Diesel and AG.

14. madstaxbro

madstaxbro Senior member

Do they just recycle this topic every 2 years or what.

15. Mauro

I think so. However, no one gives an answer. I am hoping that AtrocityVector or Blaster will enlighten us with some facts so we can put this topic to bed , once and for all.

16. Islander

Islander Senior member

This is interesting, never heard of them. Link?

17. NaTionS

NaTionS Senior member

There was an episode of the BBC documentary series Secrets of the Superbrands that dealt with fashion a while ago. It showed the Diesel denim factory (somewhere in India iirc) and the way the jeans are distressed. Pretty interesting stuff.

18. bl@ster

bl@ster Senior member

Mauro:

You said "your ascetics are yours alone" and you were almost right. I'm sure you meant to say my aesthetics are mine alone and had you said this you would have been right.

We're not dealing with "facts" here. We're dealing with personal preferences. I personally don't like taking a drill to denim to break them in. I personally like wearing a pair raw and having them develop a patina that says something about me.

As for not "having the right" to talk badly about Adriano, I'm sorry but I do have that right. I can say if I don't like the things he produces even if it's solely based on my personal taste. I can say that I don't like Diesel jeans and I think they're douchey.

Get your panties unbunched.

19. mattt

mattt Senior member

Uh I have no problem with washed denim, but I think you're one of the few people here who actually likes those brands... Diesels suck dude.

20. Mauro

^^^ diesel sucks??? Really? So A billion dollar company sucks?I think the public thinks otherwise. I appreciate the business model of diesel. I respect that Diesel has a space inside the Martelli laundry. Who can boast that? Diesel and AG lead the denim industry in innovation as well or is that pretty douchey as well?

The difference between you and me Bl@ster is I am leader and you're a sheep. When SF and other like it change tune so will you.
    I am also sure your mom dressed you until recently. Then you bought some APC's ( a friend recommended them to yo totally overrated) and a flathead flannel maybe even some wolverine 1000 miles boots . Know you think you know what cool is? You don't know shit.

Your right you have the "right" to speak however you want. However, when you talk and can't back up what you say you look like an uneducated ass.
    The image given off by diesel or AG might not be SF/Bl@ster approved but just saying "because I don't like them" is the lamest answer in the world.
    You are acting liking the little fat kid that owes the red kickball.

You could have said " here is a fun little read about the premium denim market", I don't care for AG's ascetic and diesel isn't my type of clothing but the read is cool.
    You didn't you made a shit head remark and people "schmucks" working ,doing an honest trade. You go try to make a pair of jeans and wash them down. I will review your work or better yet SF will review your work. Them we will see who is the real schmuck.

Over 2/3 of the SF community before converting to Styleforumisim wore diesel, replay, or so called "mall brands". Are those people douches too?
    Get real. Just because this s a public forum doesn't give you the right to speak poorly about someone , keyboard warrior. It's little shits like you( I call them shit stirrers )that make places like SF suck. You aren't better than anyone else.

1 person likes this.