• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • We would like to welcome House of Huntington as an official Affiliate Vendor. Shop past season Drake's, Nigel Cabourn, Private White V.C. and other menswear luxury brands at exceptional prices below retail. Please visit the Houise of Huntington thread and welcome them to the forum.

• STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

LA guy in Austin Tx for a weekend

djblisk

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
What Resturants should I eat at? don't care about money

What night spots should I go to? I party in Hollywood, so I like the pretentious places with hot girls.

Shopping advice?

Go!

grundletaint

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
night spots, for that vibe, go to west 6th street area. - j blacks, key bar, dogwood, enzo, the ranch....it's about as pretentious as austin gets. plenty of hot college girls and yuppie sluts.

shopping - the domain and by george sound like they'll be a fit for you.

lotta good restaurants. depends on what you're looking for.

HgaleK

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by grundletaint
night spots, for that vibe, go to west 6th street area. - j blacks, key bar, dogwood, enzo, the ranch....it's about as pretentious as austin gets. plenty of hot college girls and yuppie sluts. shopping - the domain and by george sound like they'll be a fit for you. lotta good restaurants. depends on what you're looking for.
You at UT? West 6th is what you're looking for. UT girls are fine and put out, but don't let them open their mouth. You'll get immediate bonus points if you mention where you're from. If you're looking for a nice meal: go to Hudson's on the Bend, Aquarelle or Sullivan's (this one and Aquarelle are in the heart of down town, so it's convenient before you hit the bars if you're so inclined). Make sure that you have people whom you enjoy spending time with if you go to Aquarelle. It's a great place, but very much a slow down, sit and talk sort of meal. Don't bother with Three Forks- it's good but not great. If you're looking for more Austin styled food (arguably better): Torchy's Tacos, Freebird's, Hut's Hamburgers, and Ironworks Barbeque are all great. Get the trailer park (trashy) if you go Torchy's. People will tell you to go to Chuy's, but it's ****** tex mex. Shady grove is also excellent (green chili burger is where it's at).

grundletaint

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
nah, well out of college. you?

stay the hell away from guero's. people champion that place, too. lambert's and la condesa are good restaurants, downtown, will have your kinda people, and are walking distance to a lot of places.

+1 on aquarelle and sullivan's, especially if you like strong martinis. hudson's is incredibly good wild game type of place but a 30-40 minute drive depending on where you're staying.

uchi is a popular sushi spot. not my favorite but there's always a scene and hot ass.

HgaleK

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I'm a sophomore at A&M, but from Austin, near Steiner Ranch. I love the city, and love the people outside of college, but can't stand a lot of the douchebaggery that takes place at UT.

I'm honestly surprised that there aren't more Austinites on here.

HgaleK

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Cary Grant
+1 on Hudson's, +2 on Aquarelle. Is Emerald's still around/good?

I actually ate there recently on the recommendation of my mom. The food was a little overwhelming in terms of just how much flavor they loaded on, but good. They were running short on several menu items and it took significantly longer than it should have, but they were very sweet and were busting ass to fix it. I figure that it was a bad day, but I'd have to eat there another time before I recommended it.

airportlobby

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by HgaleK
I'm a sophomore at A&M, but from Austin, near Steiner Ranch. I love the city, and love the people outside of college, but can't stand a lot of the douchebaggery that takes place at UT. I'm honestly surprised that there aren't more Austinites on here.
Bwaahahahahaha:
0.jpg
OP - are you here for the UCLA game?

Cary Grant

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by HgaleK
I actually ate there recently on the recommendation of my mom. The food was a little overwhelming in terms of just how much flavor they loaded on, but good. They were running short on several menu items and it took significantly longer than it should have, but they were very sweet and were busting ass to fix it. I figure that it was a bad day, but I'd have to eat there another time before I recommended it.

I recall their customer service being excellent. Good to hear that's still true.

djblisk

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
good recs for nightlife and shopping guys.

I'm a foodie. So food that I can't get in LA.

As for west 6th st. thanks for the advice. You guys been to any of those places?

djblisk

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by grundletaint
night spots, for that vibe, go to west 6th street area. - j blacks, key bar, dogwood, enzo, the ranch....it's about as pretentious as austin gets. plenty of hot college girls and yuppie sluts.

shopping - the domain and by george sound like they'll be a fit for you.

lotta good restaurants. depends on what you're looking for.

all bars. Any cool lounges or clubs?

mordecai

Immoderator
Reaction score
why are you posting for LA Guy? are you the SF intern or something?

djblisk

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
hahaha. No. LA Guy was more a description for myself.

garmis

Reaction score
a band from your city, LA, is playing at Emo's on Saturday..they're called Pepper Rabbit. Best new sound I've heard in a while. I booked them last year for a show during SXSW. God I miss Austin!

Emo's is between 6th and 7th on Red River Street. Red River has a handful of excellent music venues, and it's just off the dirty 6th scene.

And seriously, West 6th is not indicative of Austin as a whole. It's chock-full of yuppies and law students..but hey, it adds to the eclectic mix I guess.

Enjoy your stay!

airportlobby

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Restaurants in central Austin that fit your bill: Uchi, Vespaio, Lamberts, Perlas, Chez Nous, Parkside.

The best BBQ in town right now is actually from a trailer (I'm not usually an aficionado of the trailer, but, whatever). Franklins, on I 35 and 34th or so, near the stadium. Have to show up early to get it. The best BBQ is actually outside of town about 30 minutes or more (in Lockhart, Taylor or Luling), but there are some decent replacements in town.

Traditionally, Austin is a town that favors cheap food, but that is finally slowly changing as the city grows. A lot of the older "fine dining" spots are going to feel pretty dated to someone from LA. There isn't a great steakhouse here (I think Sullivans is bad), but lots of spots have good steaks - e.g., Lamberts. Everyone has his favorite cheap Mexican spot (mine is Polvo's, I grew up with it.).

As far as the best bars, it's pretty dependent on your age. West 6th Street is the yuppie spot du jour, but Rainey Street is on the come up, and more and more yuppies are crossing the highway to the bars on East 6th.

The Austin chowhound board might be helpful for you, since you are willing to call yourself a "foodie."

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 55 35.5%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 60 38.7%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 17 11.0%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 27 17.4%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 28 18.1%

Staff online

Forum statistics