• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

LA guy in Austin Tx for a weekend

djblisk

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I jotted all the recs down and will be visiting those establishments. Now what to do in san Antonio from Sunday to Wednesday. I have a lawyer seminar that only deseres my attention during the day.

airportlobby

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by SField
Eddie V's is an extremely generic and very not special steak house. It's Austin's answer to Gibson's. Has the same viagara triangle type crowd. Better steak at the restaurant in the Four Seasons.
Yes, I recommended it as a seafood restaurant, which is how they market themselves (although I understand they actually sell more steaks than anything). It's okay. Not my favorite. Similar soporific quality to the restaurant in the Four Seasons. But the man asked for seafood. It's either Perlas (preferred), Eddie V's (sell more steaks), or Quality (cook w/ a microwave). Also, Parkside has some good oysters (but not the same selection as Perlas). Also, Ironworks is fairly mediocre. There are tens of better BBQ spots in Austin area. Sams, Franklins, Lamberts, etc., are all better. In San Antonio, check out the Liberty Bar, Chris Madrids, a million texmex restaurants....

SField

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by airportlobby
Yes, I recommended it as a seafood restaurant, which is how they market themselves (although I understand they actually sell more steaks than anything). It's okay. Not my favorite. Similar soporific quality to the restaurant in the Four Seasons. But the man asked for seafood. It's either Perlas (preferred), Eddie V's (sell more steaks), or Quality (cook w/ a microwave). Also, Parkside has some good oysters (but not the same selection as Perlas).

Also, Ironworks is fairly mediocre. There are tens of better BBQ spots in Austin area. Sams, Franklins, Lamberts, etc., are all better.

In San Antonio, check out the Liberty Bar, Chris Madrids, a million texmex restaurants....

I had pulled pork there.

And I think the Four Seasons is considerably better than Eddie Vs. The seafood there is shockingly prepared. Scallops like pencil erasers.

airportlobby

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I had pulled pork there.

And I think the Four Seasons is considerably better than Eddie Vs. The seafood there is shockingly prepared. Scallops like pencil erasers.

Pulled pork is not really a part of the Texas BBQ lexicon. C'mon, son, where you from?

As for Eddie V's, not sure how I found myself defending a restaurant I don't have any use for. The man wanted local and sea food. They can cook a sea bass and are locally owned. You may have had a bad experience there, but you probably have a small sample size. Or maybe, they decided to cook the ferner who thinks pulled pork is Texas BBQ some pencil erasers. I don't have much use for Four Seasons or Driskill restaurants, Aquarelle, Hudsons, either (all are fussy or dated or generic), but I understand some people like them, just as some people like EV. Etc.

Two more spots the OP might find of interest - Olivia and the courtyard bar at Hotel San Jose (beer and wine only, open only til 12).

Kent - I always thought Fearless Critic writers were anonymous. I know some restaranteurs here have no idea who they are (although maybe they haven't put any effort into figuring it out).

Ambulance Chaser

Stylish Dinosaur
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I am going to be in Austin in November for a friend's wedding. Is there enough stuff to do downtown so that I don't have to rent a car? Enough stuff to keep me occupied from Thursday to Sunday?

airportlobby

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Ambulance Chaser
I am going to be in Austin in November for a friend's wedding. Is there enough stuff to do downtown so that I don't have to rent a car? Enough stuff to keep me occupied from Thursday to Sunday?

You should be able to get by with cabs, for a weekend, especially if you are going to have other friends here for the wedding who will have cars. If you want to do things like hit a bunch of taco spots, hit dive bars, make a BBQ trip to Luling, a car is handy, etc.

Guero

Reaction score
Ditto on Vespaio and Lamberts -- both great choices with a very Austin sensibility. Max's Wine Dive is also great and Tyson Cole's new project Uchiko is getting a lot of attention. Yes, Austin actually has an Iron Chef contestant in its mix now. It's grown up a lot. Definitely check out the nightlife on South Congress if you want something with more flavor than West Sixth, which is busy but pretty generic. If you want the quintessentially cheesy experience, East Sixth is still an option.

For shopping, check out Capra & Cavelli, consistently the best menswear store in Austin.

SField

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Pulled pork is not really a part of the Texas BBQ lexicon. C'mon, son, where you from?

As for Eddie V's, not sure how I found myself defending a restaurant I don't have any use for. The man wanted local and sea food. They can cook a sea bass and are locally owned. You may have had a bad experience there, but you probably have a small sample size. Or maybe, they decided to cook the ferner who thinks pulled pork is Texas BBQ some pencil erasers. I don't have much use for Four Seasons or Driskill restaurants, Aquarelle, Hudsons, either (all are fussy or dated or generic), but I understand some people like them, just as some people like EV. Etc.

Two more spots the OP might find of interest - Olivia and the courtyard bar at Hotel San Jose (beer and wine only, open only til 12).

Kent - I always thought Fearless Critic writers were anonymous. I know some restaranteurs here have no idea who they are (although maybe they haven't put any effort into figuring it out).

I've posted about my ignorance with southern food before. I know pulled pork is more of a south easter thing than a texas thing.

I can also see by the restaurants that you "have no use for", that you probably know a lot more about affordable food in austin than I do. I'd be happy to go to a lot of the spots you recommend next time I go down in January. I love the city and I love eating.

Guero

Reaction score
You should be able to get by with cabs, for a weekend, especially if you are going to have other friends here for the wedding who will have cars. If you want to do things like hit a bunch of taco spots, hit dive bars, make a BBQ trip to Luling, a car is handy, etc.

This^^.

If you can make it Luling City Market, you will find Texas' BBQ (read BEEF) heaven. I once ate next to Robert Duval and Bill Whitliff, the screenwriter for Lonesome Dove. It was a great experience.

airportlobby

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I've posted about my ignorance with southern food before. I know pulled pork is more of a south easter thing than a texas thing. I can also see by the restaurants that you "have no use for", that you probably know a lot more about affordable food in austin than I do. I'd be happy to go to a lot of the spots you recommend next time I go down in January. I love the city and I love eating.
Sorry if I came off abrasive, I was just trying to pass off correct info (but definitely too snarky). Sometimes those of us who like the newer restaurants in Austin have a bit of an edge when we talk about the old guard. My brother is a restaurant person, so I have some strong opinions. Two more shops to consider, with more of a SWD aesthetic - By George and Bows + Arrows.

Guero

Reaction score
Sorry if I came off abrasive, I was just trying to pass off correct info (but definitely too snarky). Sometimes those of us who like the newer restaurants in Austin have a bit of an edge when we talk about the old guard. My brother is a restaurant person, so I have some strong opinions.

Two more shops to consider, with more of a SWD aesthetic - By George and Bows + Arrows.

And Stag on South Congress. Great American work wear vibe, RRL, etc.

djblisk

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I need to get from Austin to San Antonio. What types of public transportation are available?

airportlobby

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
You're best off renting a car. The drive is just over an hour. A car will be handy in San Antonio, too, if you're interested in food. It's a spread out city, and lots of the downtown food is on the tourist-trap side.

ToruOkada

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
If you want food you can't get in LA, you probably should go the bbq route like 1969 mentioned. I'd also go to a few food trailers since that's pretty big in the Austin scene these days. A few standouts are Odd Duck, Franklin BBQ, Flip Happy, Mighty Cone and Izzos Tacos.

I have a feeling you'd be disappointed with the fine dining options in Austin. I think there are some great restaurants but I wouldn't say it's anything unique at all. However if you're looking for good seafood, I'd do Parkside for their raw bar or Uchi for their crudo plates.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 91 37.6%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 37.2%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 25 10.3%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 40 16.5%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.7%

Forum statistics

Threads