• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

LA Guy.... how about a quick review

KennyGhetzoff

Reaction score
I always find your opinions here valuable & consistent with my own
inlove.gif
but seriously, can you give me your thoughts on RB6 (just snagged a pair)... cut, fit, style, position and status in the denim world... basically a review. much appreciated!!

evilgeniusdan

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I'm not who you're looking for, but I'm quite sure he likes the RB6.

KennyGhetzoff

Reaction score
looking for a semi-detailed review. I think people like LA Guy could write mini-reviews of denim/garments like we often see in Rolling Stone for say a new CD or how a critic might review a movie.

I personally would find it helpful. Of course, this is totally selfish I know... but just floatin' the idea out there.

PG2G

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
You already own them don't you? You should be able to review them yourself.

Wade M

Reaction score
Originally Posted by PG2G
You already own them don't you? You should be able to review them yourself.
Exactly. A review should come as something to aid in others, it is after all a review). A posthumous review is very ego-centric. I like the original idea, this place has a very strong potential to sell items very well, and it does via the partners, for a hopeful kickback. Reviews from the top posters, and there is a few of them. Would help everyone out, directing more traffic outwards. --WadeM

KennyGhetzoff

Reaction score
Originally Posted by Dick Danger
deadhorse-a.gif

I could review em' myself, but I'm quite a newbie in the denim field

and as stated in my original post.... I value LA Guy's often insightful opinions and wanted to hear his thoughts.

(Why not just review the latest movie you saw for yourself to yourself... you'd never need Roger Ebert's opinion ever again)

I like to hear opinions... unless I'm missing something, that is what forums are for.

ps. Dick, from what I've seen, your posts rarely forward any conversations, but rather jab and chide.... I'm not being rude, but quit the elitist bs for a while.

PG2G

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I guess I'm just saying that you shouldn't need someone to tell you that the fit, cut, and materials of a pair of jeans you already own are good or bad.

The general consensus of the forum is that Rag & Bone is one of the top denim manufacturers in the states. The RB1 is listed as one of LA Guy's Top 10, the RB11 is listed as one of Brian's Top 10. The only real difference is the cut. If the cut isn't working for you, return them and try a different model.

Bandwagonesque

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
What's that psychological term for people who feel better about a product, if, post-purchase they read reviews raving about how good it is - to the point where the opinions of others matters more than their own opinion, and vice versa for a bad product? Like going to a movie for example... you walk out of the theatre, and realize how terrible it was. Then you read the reviews on the internet at say Rotten Tomatoes that rave about it. When somebody asks you what you thought of the movie later on, your opinion of the movie might have changed drastically from your initial opinion (maybe I'm thinking of cognitive dissonance?).

Anyway, lets hear your review about the RB6 Kenny. How do they fit? How do they feel? Post photos! LA Guy might be the SF expert, but that doesn't mean your opinions shouldn't matter either n00b or not-n00b.

KennyGhetzoff

Reaction score
alright here goes:

I think the denim material is superb. Not quite as good to my eye as APC or Nudie selvage but very close. The detailing in the buttons and stitching is obviously also of high quality... the minor problem I had when first wearing was that they are quite high waisted and can't be slouched successfully which is contrarty to what I had read. I'm wondering if the waist will stretch some.

In comparison to RRDS, they are quite baggy. I wear 29 & 30 in Reg Ralf. These are much baggier. I love the unbranded nature of them.... they are subtle in all ways but refined as well. THe denim color is also very nice. Close to APC but not quite as "purplish". I'm not sure if they are japanese denim... I suspect not since the label says "hand made in North Carolina"

My major concerns are how to wear these damn things..... I like em', just want to hear from a denim expert.

my quest for other opinions, particularly LA Guy is not as unreasonable as some of you are taking it.....

Also, the idea about "stickie-ing" definitive reviews of certian cuts and brands that are oft discussed here is a good idea....
I'm in the heart of NYC and have access to anything.... many are not and would probably benefit from such a venture when deciding to purchase online. Endlessly searching the forum works as well, but why not make the forum more user friendly.

LA Guy

Opposite Santa
Admin
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Well, I'm flattered, but I don't really have time to review jeans in detail, etc... I try to answer as many questions as I can, but I have to work, you know? Well, if you guys paid my salary, I'd be glad to work on this a lot more. As is though, I am working on a list of top 20 jeans along with Mauro and Brian, really just a sampling of jeans from the most mainstream (seriously tempted to put a pair of True Religions in there) to pretty obscure (either to you guys or to the world at large - two different things altogether.) I am also working on building more static content, and a good review section (not just my reviews, but I'd edit them) does sound like something worth doing. Let's use this thread as a springboard for ideas.

Personally, I liked the slightly slimmer RB6 of old, but I guess that Rag&Bone decided to make their bread and butter jean more accessible after they discontinued the RB1. I would have preferred to have had the slightly slimmer RB6 and the roomier RB1 rather than a recut RB6, which is sort of a compromise. The workmanship is definitely nice. The jeans are not japanese denim (well, I think that they have one model that is,) but are from the Cone Mills in White Oak, NC, of vintage Levi's fame, AFAIK. The color is nice - both the dark indigo and the lighter black blue color of the RB6s, and the jeans are eminently versatile.

Mauro

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Kenny,

Don't knock "made in the US" . Rag and Bone creates amazing things and cone denim can hang with the best of them.
The Japanese can throw out some complete ****. Dont always look at the price tag for quality.
The rb-6 is there most relaxed jean now. I wouldnt even compare it to a APC or Nudie.
Remember Rag and Bone uses Levi, wrangle, and Lee body styles . They just started creating techincally thier own body styles.

KennyGhetzoff

Reaction score
not knocking "made in the usa" at all.... just wasn't sure if r&b used japanese denim or not.
my least expensive denim is my favorite, so price isn't my yardstick for quality.

thanks for the input on body styles, though... i didn't know that.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 92 37.6%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 36.7%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 26 10.6%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 41 16.7%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.5%

Forum statistics

Threads