LA Fashion District

Discussion in 'Streetwear and Denim' started by soultek, Dec 20, 2006.

1. Rye GB

Rye GB Angry Englishman

Many of your points are valid, but I don't think this one is. In addition having lived in Brentwood and the Palisades at times, I've lived in various parts of Hollywood and Hollywood-adjacent, Venice, Beverlywood/SoRo, and Los Feliz (south of LF Boulevard, in the "flats" and not the chi-chi "hills" bordering Griffith Park). In addition, I've spent considerable time at the homes of friends and family in areas such as West Hollywood, the ambiguous "midtown", West Adams (some of the most architecturally beautiful homes you'll ever see, btw), Mount Washington/Glassel Park, Monterrey Heights, and almost-LA neighborhoods like Pasadena and South Pas, San Gabriel, and various parts of the Torrance/South Bay area. All have their pluses and minuses, but none can fairly described as "smeg".
    LA certainly has plenty of crappy housing and crappy neighborhoods, but it has a lot of great ones, too.

I live in Silverlake, yes both Los Feliz and Mount Washington are some highlights. Upon moving to LA I lived in both San Gabriel and Pasadena, these are nice parts of town to. Given the size of Los Angeles these communities I feel don't compensate about how I feel about the city as a whole.

2. jet

jet Persian Bro

To raise the signal:noise - the only good shopping downtown in my opinion is at Blends (and the inexplicable high end boutique in the back- MM, CDG, Raf simons) at 4th and Main

Yep, Chris at 06 is my man. You guys should definitely check that place out.

Rye, you obviously haven't been to my house [​IMG]

3. Rye GB

Rye GB Angry Englishman

Rye, you obviously haven't been to my house [​IMG]

Just trying to compliment my neighbors!.[​IMG]

4. TrojanGarb

TrojanGarb Senior member

Havent been there in forever, but yea mostly swap meet level junk.

To go back off topic: You cannot consider downtown as "LA," downtown is nothing but a place to work right now. The place is a ghost town after 5! If you don't consider everything from the valley to the port as "LA" then you're missing the point. This is one of, if not the, most geographically widespread cities in the world. And when everything works right you can be anywhere in half an hour... now if only some idiot in power would realize our freeway system is stuck 30 years in the past.

5. knucks

knucks Senior member

Such a large population of Cali peeps in here...

i think i'll stay out

6. Goldengloves

Goldengloves Senior member

I personally agree with Rye GB on this (wait, what was the topic of the post again?, anyway...). I don't even consider LA to be a city in a true sense of the word, it's more like a scattered mess.

I for one hate going into the city on erans, sure Beverly Hills is nice and Santa Monica is kinda cool but take any wrong turn or get lost anywhere and you will be in shitsville county before you know it. I never really feel safe anywhere in the city and when comparing that to some place like SF, NY, or Tokyo, it's pretty dispicable seeing as the aformentioned cities are much more populated. And don't even get me started on the traffic....wow! 30years back, try 100 years. This city was never built correctly from the start, and this is what I mean by not being a 'true' city. It's like they took all the buildings and put them into a yahtzee cup, shook them up and then sprawled them out on the land available.

But again, this is my opinion. I live in HB, so I try not to involve myself in LA too much.

7. soultek

soultek Well-Known Member

i think the building in LA's fashion district that is most applicable to the Streetwear forum would be the Cooper Building. it normally houses showrooms for small LA designers. but some of those showrooms open their doors to designer's sample sales. i was at a Trovata sample sale earlier this year and there was a Costume National sample sale in the same building which i missed. there's also a Steven Alan store in the building.

-Jeff

thanks, this is helpful.

8. matadorpoeta

matadorpoeta Senior member

i think the building in LA's fashion district that is most applicable to the Streetwear forum would be the Cooper Building. it normally houses showrooms for small LA designers. but some of those showrooms open their doors to designer's sample sales. i was at a Trovata sample sale earlier this year and there was a Costume National sample sale in the same building which i missed. there's also a Steven Alan store in the building.

-Jeff

i forgot about the cooper building. 7 for all mankind is on the first floor there. also try california mart on the corner of 9th and los angeles street. they have sample sales there as well.

9. matadorpoeta

matadorpoeta Senior member

I personally agree with Rye GB on this (wait, what was the topic of the post again?, anyway...). I don't even consider LA to be a city in a true sense of the word, it's more like a scattered mess.

I for one hate going into the city on erans, sure Beverly Hills is nice and Santa Monica is kinda cool but take any wrong turn or get lost anywhere and you will be in shitsville county before you know it. I never really feel safe anywhere in the city and when comparing that to some place like SF, NY, or Tokyo, it's pretty dispicable seeing as the aformentioned cities are much more populated. And don't even get me started on the traffic....wow! 30years back, try 100 years. This city was never built correctly from the start, and this is what I mean by not being a 'true' city. It's like they took all the buildings and put them into a yahtzee cup, shook them up and then sprawled them out on the land available.

But again, this is my opinion. I live in HB, so I try not to involve myself in LA too much.

someone from huntington beach criticizing l.a. i'm not even going to start...

10. whodini

whodini Conan OOOOOOO"BRIEN!

It's a hard working city, far more Industrial than I ever imagined but unless your privileged enough to live in The Hills, Brentwood, Palisades or Whodini, Jet and Get Smarts house the other 95% is smeg!.

Ooo...a Los Feliz shout-out! First round's on me at the Red Lion. Yea, I'll make the trek over the hill just for that.

I love bits and pieces of LA but as a city itself, I'm pretty "meh" about it. When I move back up stateside I really don't plan on living there again. Every city has its problems and its positives and I've often felt that the parts of LA that I loved the most don't exactly fit the stereotype like the cafes and small-town feel of South Pas or La Cañanda's Honolulu street and not the pretentious bars and clubs of the Sunset Strip and Hollywood. To its credit, I guess it does offer that kind of diversity instead of being totally polarized.

I probably won't live in LA again. I think cities like Portland and Seattle are a better fit for me.

11. lawyerdad

lawyerdad Senior member

someone from huntington beach criticizing l.a. i'm not even going to start...
    I was thinking HB meant Hermosa, not Huntington. That's my bias from growing up in the South Bay.

12. lawyerdad

lawyerdad Senior member

Ooo...a Los Feliz shout-out! First round's on me at the Red Lion. Yea, I'll make the trek over the hill just for that.

I love bits and pieces of LA but as a city itself, I'm pretty "meh" about it. When I move back up stateside I really don't plan on living there again. Every city has its problems and its positives and I've often felt that the parts of LA that I loved the most don't exactly fit the stereotype like the cafes and small-town feel of South Pas or La Cañanda's Honolulu street and not the pretentious bars and clubs of the Sunset Strip and Hollywood. To its credit, I guess it does offer that kind of diversity instead of being totally polarized.

I probably won't live in LA again. I think cities like Portland and Seattle are a better fit for me.

The Red Lion is cool, as is the Tam O'Shanter, in a campy time warp kind of way. But if one were to get nitpicky, I think of the Red Lion as more Silverlake than LF, and TOS as Atwater Village. The Derby, however, is pure LF.

13. LabelKing

LabelKing Senior member

The most interesting thing about L.A., I thought, were those Hispanic Morrissey fanatics.

14. Get Smart

Get Smart Don't Crink

The most interesting thing about L.A., I thought, were those Hispanic Morrissey fanatics.

lol, they call themselves "Rebels". silly boys

15. whodini

whodini Conan OOOOOOO"BRIEN!

The Red Lion is cool, as is the Tam O'Shanter, in a campy time warp kind of way. But if one were to get nitpicky, I think of the Red Lion as more Silverlake than LF, and TOS as Atwater Village. The Derby, however, is pure LF.
    I was referring to the Red Lion as part of the "trek over the hill" to Silverlake and drinking on Rye's home turf. Never got used to the Tam. I'm more of the 20s-something hipster crowd who drinks at Spaceland, Bigfoot, and then further out to the Tiki Ti and 4100.