• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

L’Atelier de l’Égide - Laurent Halimi - shoe cobbler/cordwainer in Montreal Quebec

suitforcourt

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Hi everyone,

Background:

I've been looking for a cobbler/cordwainer who can do the Joh Rendenbach soles
(http://www.lederfabrik-rendenbach.de/1/benefits-of-jr-leather/)

After extensive searching and asking around on Styleforum, I came to two conclusions:

1. No one in Toronto (maybe even Ontario!) uses JR soles. Most of the "better" cobblers have never even heard of it. Strange, because a lot of the finer shoe companies such as Allen Edmonds will use it on their premium cordovan collection;
2. NYC has a few reputable shops: B Nelson and Cesar's Shoe Repair.

The cobbler I chose:

However, a fellow SF friend recommended L’Atelier de l’Égide - Laurent Halimi, who is based in Montreal.
http://egide.ca/home.html

Here are some of his youtube videos:
http://egide.ca/repair.html

I communicated with Laurent via e-mail. A little slow initially, but now responds within a business day. The price for the JR package: $250, which includes the return postage. I will have to pay my own post to send to him.

The price seems steep, but is relative to sending them to B Nelson or Cesar Shoe Repair in NYC, once you factor in exchange rate and postage.

Laurent hand stitches everything, and seems to be passionate about his craft. My SF friend highly recommends him.

The shoes:

I'm sending a pair of Florsheim Kenmoors to Laurent for recrafting. Bought them on Ebay for $10! (plus shipping and tax).

Here are some "pre-pics." As everyone can see, the body is still intact, no major scuffs, tears or other damage visible to the eye. The soles definitely need to be replaced. Even the interior is in great condition. These are made in India, and likely the JR package is "too expensive", but what the hell, I want to keep these shoes, so might as well invest.

I will put up the "post-pics" when Laurent returns the finished product. Cost will be $250 for the JR package (includes return postage) but I will have to pay to send to him. So total is likely $280ish, which is about the same price point as B Nelson or Cesar's Shoe Repair in NYC (factoring in exchange rate and postage).

Pre-pics:

Once the shoes are returned, I will put up the "post pics." Can't wait!

suitforcourt

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
The final product:

1. Took 10 days (as Laurent promised);

2. Soles are stiff and needs some wearing in;

3. Body was definitely pulled over a last again as it feels tighter and stiffer;

4. Soles look beautiful. Will walk in them tomorrow;

5. Total costs was about $265. Happy to keep a fellow Canadian in business!

suitforcourt

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Spent all day on my feet with the new shoes. They feel really comfortable. I wear orthotics so require a shoe with a strong sole (hence I prefer goodyear welts) and support. Laurent lived up to the hype. I highly recommend this fine artisan.

Vinilo1969

Reaction score
Though I am late to see this, great review! By the way, would you know in which country were vintage Florsheim shoes such as these made?

suitforcourt

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Though I am late to see this, great review! By the way, would you know in which country were vintage Florsheim shoes such as these made?

This pair was made in India. I have other pairs made in USA and Canada. The latter 2 are of much higher quality in terms of materials and craftsmanship.

Vinilo1969

Reaction score
I also bought India-made Florsheims a while ago. Leather seemed a bit thinner than western-made shoes. Wish I knew more about the evolution of Florsheim shoe manufacturing.

CloudLi

Reaction score
I still do not understand why spend $250 for recraft on a $50 shoes. Just my 5 cents, I wont spend more than half of the shoe value for any repair, otherwise I can just buy a new one

suitforcourt

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I also bought India-made Florsheims a while ago. Leather seemed a bit thinner than western-made shoes. Wish I knew more about the evolution of Florsheim shoe manufacturing.

Check out v-cleats.com

suitforcourt

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I still do not understand why spend $250 for recraft on a $50 shoes. Just my 5 cents, I wont spend more than half of the shoe value for any repair, otherwise I can just buy a new one

I wanted to try different Cobblers and their recraft work. So I used cheaper shoes. But all have been renewed for another round.

There are many threads talking about we recraft shoes, rather than just buying new ones. I will let other people convince you, or not.

suitforcourt

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

I will only buy Florsheim made in USA or Canada. So only vintage pairs.

suitforcourt

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Thanks for sharing your experience on both cobblers. Does any of their service including renew the insole?

You'd have to ask. My original was reused. But it was still in great shape.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 92 37.6%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 36.7%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 26 10.6%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 41 16.7%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.5%

Staff online

Forum statistics