• I'm happy to introduce the Styleforum Happy Hour, our brand new podcast featuring lively discussion about menswear and the fashion industry. In the inaugural edition, a discussion of what's going on in retail today. Please check it out on the Journal. All episodes will be also be available soon on your favorite podcast platform.

  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

    Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

    Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Korg Kronos

tagutcow

Stylish Dinosaur
Joined
Nov 29, 2006
Messages
10,617
Reaction score
682
Do want.

IMPORTANT NOTICE: No media files are hosted on these forums. By clicking the link below you agree to view content from an external website. We can not be held responsible for the suitability or legality of this material. If the video does not play, wait a minute or try again later. I AGREE

TIP: to embed Youtube clips, put only the encoded part of the Youtube URL, e.g. eBGIQ7ZuuiU between the tags.

IMPORTANT NOTICE: No media files are hosted on these forums. By clicking the link below you agree to view content from an external website. We can not be held responsible for the suitability or legality of this material. If the video does not play, wait a minute or try again later. I AGREE

TIP: to embed Youtube clips, put only the encoded part of the Youtube URL, e.g. eBGIQ7ZuuiU between the tags.

Presale prices are $3000/$3500/$3800 for 61/73/88-key respectively, which is pretty good considering the technology is basically one generation downstream from the $8000+ OASYS.
 

boogaboogabooga

Senior Member
Joined
Jul 28, 2009
Messages
748
Reaction score
28
You know, I read your posts and generally find you to be pretty on point. Now you're a bit cooler.

p.s. Their piano sounds are amazing!
 

tagutcow

Stylish Dinosaur
Joined
Nov 29, 2006
Messages
10,617
Reaction score
682
Originally Posted by boogaboogabooga
You know, I read your posts and generally find you to be pretty on point. Now you're a bit cooler.

p.s. Their piano sounds are amazing!


The piano (IMO) suffers in the lower-mid range like many digital pianos. I think the demos I've heard of the Synthogy Ivory sound better, but of course the Kronos piano is miles ahead of any other workstation piano out there.

I don't have $3000 right now, but I'm wondering if in the quasi-near future I should bite the bullet and get this, and pretty much not have to worry about getting any other synth.
 

SpallaCamiccia

Distinguished Member
Joined
Jan 24, 2010
Messages
2,364
Reaction score
4
I play my analogue Korg MS-20 along with the step sequencer SQ10 weekly.
 

tagutcow

Stylish Dinosaur
Joined
Nov 29, 2006
Messages
10,617
Reaction score
682
Originally Posted by SpallaCamiccia
I play my analogue Korg MS-20 along with the step sequencer SQ10 weekly.


Do you write anti-lovesongs for socialists?
 

boogaboogabooga

Senior Member
Joined
Jul 28, 2009
Messages
748
Reaction score
28
Originally Posted by tagutcow
The piano (IMO) suffers in the lower-mid range like many digital pianos. I think the demos I've heard of the Synthogy Ivory sound better, but of course the Kronos piano is miles ahead of any other workstation piano out there.

I don't have $3000 right now, but I'm wondering if in the quasi-near future I should bite the bullet and get this, and pretty much not have to worry about getting any other synth.


Well, let me put it this way... the piano samples are way better than the samples on Ableton. I sort of dable on the keys. The most accomplished thing I can play is Le Yachting by Satie.
 

tagutcow

Stylish Dinosaur
Joined
Nov 29, 2006
Messages
10,617
Reaction score
682
Originally Posted by boogaboogabooga
Well, let me put it this way... the piano samples are way better than the samples on Ableton. I sort of dable on the keys. The most accomplished thing I can play is Le Yachting by Satie.
Well then you're way ahead of me. I have no pretense of being any sort of performer. I just got a 37-key Micron, which is the most keys I've had in a keyboard for over 8 years (when I sold my Z1). I do write music for piano and would like to hear it rendered nicely, but for me it is something that is a perk and not something that is essential. I'm glad Korg upped its piano game, since the stock piano sound on the M3 (non-XPanded) was disgraceful. I like the grand piano in the Roland Fantom XR, which you can get used for pretty cheap these days. I certainly like it better than the grand piano in the current flagship Fantom G. I don't have a computer sprec'd to run something like Ivory, which is why I'm looking at hardware. I suppose drooling over the Kronos is just idle gear lust on my part. I'd still need to get a decent audio interface (~$700) to record things to my computer in any case. I just got Logic Studio which comes with a whole host of soft synths, and I have enough hardware synths- Alesis Micron, Emu Morpheus, Waldorf Pulse- to keep me busy for a while. I'd still like the Fantom XR to fill in the gaps for my ROMpler needs, for its piano sounds, and possibly for its sampler (I find the EXS24 sampler that comes with Logic to be sorely lacking.)
 

SpallaCamiccia

Distinguished Member
Joined
Jan 24, 2010
Messages
2,364
Reaction score
4
Originally Posted by tagutcow
Do you write anti-lovesongs for socialists?


Nope
But I was a detroit techno / minimal techno producer and dj for 15 years.

Now I only play my analogue synths for fun . Sold all my producing studio, also I was tired of parties with people without dress garments.
 
Joined
Jan 14, 2005
Messages
11,179
Reaction score
114
Originally Posted by SpallaCamiccia
Nope
But I was a detroit techno / minimal techno producer and dj for 15 years.

this I want to hear....
 

CouttsClient

Distinguished Member
Joined
Sep 16, 2010
Messages
1,974
Reaction score
56
Originally Posted by tagutcow
Do want.

IMPORTANT NOTICE: No media files are hosted on these forums. By clicking the link below you agree to view content from an external website. We can not be held responsible for the suitability or legality of this material. If the video does not play, wait a minute or try again later. I AGREE

TIP: to embed Youtube clips, put only the encoded part of the Youtube URL, e.g. eBGIQ7ZuuiU between the tags.

IMPORTANT NOTICE: No media files are hosted on these forums. By clicking the link below you agree to view content from an external website. We can not be held responsible for the suitability or legality of this material. If the video does not play, wait a minute or try again later. I AGREE

TIP: to embed Youtube clips, put only the encoded part of the Youtube URL, e.g. eBGIQ7ZuuiU between the tags.

Presale prices are $3000/$3500/$3800 for 61/73/88-key respectively, which is pretty good considering the technology is basically one generation downstream from the $8000+ OASYS.

Thanks for posting this...
I have a grand at home but travel with my OASYS. Haven't paid much attention to what Korg has been doing for the last couple of years.
 

SpallaCamiccia

Distinguished Member
Joined
Jan 24, 2010
Messages
2,364
Reaction score
4
Originally Posted by Matt
this I want to hear....
I am retired, sometimes I play some soulful deep house as dimitri from Paris or Larry heard Mr. Fingers in deluxe terraces but no more Robert Hood like before in dark techno clubs . Too old and carca for that.Played with Surgeon, Mills, Dj Rush and all the stars of that time. One picture of me ten years ago on my studio with some of my treasures from the 70S Minimoog, VCS3 ( the one that does the dark sounds from dark side of the moon from Pink Floid and the noises from Dr. Who ) ARP 2600 semi modular, sold to a norgegian guy who came by plane just to pick it up the same day ) And a vocoder, for doing robot voices on the early 80s records and a 8 panel Doepfer analogue modular synth. And of course a Dirty Harry T-shirt as a good right winger, but look what skinny arms did I have.
 

tagutcow

Stylish Dinosaur
Joined
Nov 29, 2006
Messages
10,617
Reaction score
682
Originally Posted by SpallaCamiccia
One picture of me ten years ago on my studio with some of my treasures from the 70S Minimoog, VCS3 ( the one that does the dark sounds from dark side of the moon from Pink Floid and the noises from Dr. Who ) ARP 2600 semi modular, sold to a norgegian guy who came by plane just to pick it up the same day ) And a vocoder, for doing robot voices on the early 80s records and a 8 panel Doepfer analogue modular synth.



And of course a Dirty Harry T-shirt as a good right winger, but look what skinny arms did I have.
A steady diet of rolls'n'blow will do that.
 

musicguy

Distinguished Member
Joined
Oct 1, 2008
Messages
4,220
Reaction score
83
I don't know what to think... I wasn't impressed with many of the sounds (or do you call them samples?).

The piano sounds don't seem so good either. I've haven't tried the Kronos, but when I was looking for a grand piano replacement, the best I could find were the Yamaha CP series. Those were much better than any digital piano I've tried, especially with regards to replicating the sensitivity of a real grand piano.

What's the industry standard for all in one machines like these? I doubt the top professionals use machines like these but prefer to use separate machines for each function. Maybe when you're on the road these are good, but in the studio I doubt it.
 

thekunk07

Stylish Dinosaur
Joined
Apr 27, 2007
Messages
18,438
Reaction score
2,956
my m1 still serves its purpose
 

tagutcow

Stylish Dinosaur
Joined
Nov 29, 2006
Messages
10,617
Reaction score
682
Originally Posted by musicguy
I don't know what to think... I wasn't impressed with many of the sounds (or do you call them samples?).

The HD-1 uses ROM based samples and the sampler portion of course uses RAM based samples. The analogue emulations, electric pianos, and plucked strings use models. I believe the grand piano uses a combination of samples and physical modelling (eg simulating sustain pedal resonances, etc.)

Yeah, some of the HD-1 sounds weren't exactly mind-blowing, and the electric piano emulations couldn't interest me less.

The piano sounds don't seem so good either. I've haven't tried the Kronos, but when I was looking for a grand piano replacement, the best I could find were the Yamaha CP series. Those were much better than any digital piano I've tried, especially with regards to replicating the sensitivity of a real grand piano.
I wonder if the fact that the CP has built-in speakers (undoubtedly eq'd for optimal piano tone) rather than being played by flat studio monitors- positioned nowhere near where the body of the piano would be- is influencing your judgement. That is, if you made a recording of ther CP piano and the Kronos and listened to them on the same pair of speakers, would you still feel the same way?

But I agree the Kronos piano has weaknesses, particularly in the mid/low-mid range. Compare the demos on the Kronos page:

http://www.korg.com/kronos

To this demo of Synthogy Ivory:

http://www.synthogy.com/demo/v2/Chop...25%20no.11.mp3

What's the industry standard for all in one machines like these? I doubt the top professionals use machines like these but prefer to use separate machines for each function. Maybe when you're on the road these are good, but in the studio I doubt it.
The standard in what industry, exactly? Of course a workstation like this is meant to have something for everyone, and isn't targeted to niche users. People who want a virtual analogue synth (the entire dance music production crowd) are probably going to gravitate towards something with a more tactile interface, and people who demand the absolute best piano sounds (assuming they can't get their hands on an actual piano) will probably go with Synthogy Ivory, although I think the Kronos piano would be more than sufficient for the vast majority. There are obvious advantages to having everything integrated into one machine as well.

If you think most top-40 records are produced using anything more sophisticated/expensive than the bread'n'butter Yammy/Roland/Korg worstations (nevermind Akai MPCs, which are still de rigeur for rap), you're mistaken. It's not like the '70 or '80s when there was a clear separation between the pro users (the guys who could afford huge analogue modular systems or Synclaviers/Fairlights) and everyone else.

From what I read, Broadway productions still use 15-year old Kurzweil K2xxxs. There's still some concerns about how reliable the direct-from-disk audio streaming in the Kronos would be in live applications.
 

Featured Sponsor

How many pairs of shoes do you own?

  • 1 - 4

    Votes: 16 3.4%
  • 5 - 10

    Votes: 81 17.1%
  • 11 - 20

    Votes: 155 32.6%
  • 21 - 30

    Votes: 79 16.6%
  • 31 - 40

    Votes: 40 8.4%
  • 41 - 50

    Votes: 28 5.9%
  • 51 - 60

    Votes: 18 3.8%
  • 61 - 70

    Votes: 9 1.9%
  • 71 - 80

    Votes: 13 2.7%
  • 81 - 90

    Votes: 4 0.8%
  • 91 - 100

    Votes: 4 0.8%
  • 100+

    Votes: 28 5.9%

Related Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
427,565
Messages
9,201,024
Members
193,198
Latest member
scrnldp

Styleforum is proudly sponsored by

Top