• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Korean BBQ?

Eason

Bicurious Racist
Reaction score
Originally Posted by edinatlanta
I always get the same looking relishes and condiments when I'm seated for KBBQ. Can someone tell me what they are and what to do with them?

the reddish-brown bean paste is tenjjang, you use that for ssam-gyup-sal (the bacon type meat) or galbi (the bbq cut). Specifically, you put a little into your lettuce/sesame leaf wrap/sandwich. The garlic is meant to be cooked on the grill, then added to your wrap. The green hot peppers are to be dipped and eaten with the bean paste, you only eat the first 3rd/half of the pepper, don't eat the bottom. You should also have sesame oil/salt, you use that for dipping the meat in before your put it in your wrap or eat it. You'll also have some marinated onions (yang pa), if you're eating galbi, you typically just eat those like a salad. With both galbi and sam-gyup-sal, you'll get a kind of salad made from types of greens and green onions (yang paji), you can eat that together with the meat, or add it to your wrap. Then of course you'll have kim chi/radish cubed kim chi, with you can eat or add to your wrap, and sometimes clear water kim chi, which you'll drink or eat with a spoon like a soup. I think that's most of the side dishes, let me know if I missed something.

madaboutshirt

Reaction score
I like Korean BBQ. I sometimes buy marinated meat from Korean butcheries and cook it at home but in general Korean food is overrated and way too expensive, compare to say Chinese food which is the best in the world IMO.

I've never been to Korea but I have eaten at a lot of Korean restaurants in Sydney (I have a couple of Korean frds). Most of their menus are very similar and there is not enough varieties.

Eason

Bicurious Racist
Reaction score
Originally Posted by madaboutshirt
Chinese food which is the best in the world IMO.
bored.gif
Did you forget about America, Spain, France, and Italy? Actually I think probably any western country has overall better food available than asian countries. You'll have to excuse me though, I'm just sick of eating oil and hua jiao every day. "WHAT DO YOU MEAN XIAO FENG YOU?!?! IF WE DON'T ADD OIL IT WON'T BE DELICIOUS!" *pours more oil in*
facepalm.gif

indesertum

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Eason
the reddish-brown bean paste is tenjjang
dwenjang is that smelly smalty brownish fermented bean stuff. ssamjang is its slightly spicy much more delicious cousin.

bored.gif

Did you forget about America, Spain, France, and Italy? Actually I think probably any western country has overall better food available than asian countries. You'll have to excuse me though, I'm just sick of eating oil and hua jiao every day. "WHAT DO YOU MEAN XIAO FENG YOU?!?! IF WE DON'T ADD OIL IT WON'T BE DELICIOUS!" *pours more oil in*
facepalm.gif

haha. asian food is for peasants. good food. but for peasants. the most expensive you can do with korean bbq is eat porkbelly with sheets of gold on it (but it doesn't make it taste better). maybe some good short ribs, but i dont see a 2,3 michelin star restaurant that only does korean bbq.

ryoneo

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Razele
Soju is awesome - it's just 20% ethanol with corn syrup.

My local korean place is just soju drunk hypebeast kids eating kimchi and meat

Soju is great, and it's as cheap as water. You really just need to watch out, cause you don't really know how much of it you are really drinking. I found out the hard way.

bored.gif

facepalm.gif

I'm going to have to agree with this. Asian foods get old after a while.

ryoneo

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by cchen
Any same food gets old after a while

True, maybe I'm bias cause I've been eating it for so long.

samus

Reaction score
Funny that I just posted in the dinner thread before seeing this. I just came from a Sichuan restaurant in Philly Chinatown where I had a great hot pot, which I guess is the closest Chinese equivalent?

madaboutshirt

Reaction score
bored.gif
Did you forget about America, Spain, France, and Italy? Actually I think probably any western country has overall better food available than asian countries.

If you are talking about Asian foods in general, they are definitely better in Asia. Maybe you don't always get the same high quality ingredients, e.g. seafood, but the way they are cooked is definitely more authentic/better.
You'll have to excuse me though, I'm just sick of eating oil and hua jiao every day. "WHAT DO YOU MEAN XIAO FENG YOU?!?! IF WE DON'T ADD OIL IT WON'T BE DELICIOUS!" *pours more oil in*
facepalm.gif

haha, I can empathsise with you on this one. A lot of people would find Chinese food very greasy, myself included. But the chef is right, when it comes to Chinese stir fries especially Sichuan style, not adding enough oil will make the dish very "dry" and it just doesn't taste as good. Its similar sort of thing with salt. Anyway, there are 8 main cooking styles in China, you can always pick and choose. Cantonese (GuangDong) cuisines are the least oily and salty out of the 8, they like everything, especially their seafood, steamed. btw, its not XIAO FENG YOU, its SHAO FANG YOU.

adelphi

Reaction score
bored.gif

facepalm.gif

what is american food?

dizzhizz

Reaction score
pick your poison. subtle differences but nothing major when eating your beef/pork/kimchee...

2008111621303148410_220306_0.jpg

img_3_58_11.jpg

j.jpg

dizzhizz

Reaction score
not sure who has the biggest boobs, but its a definite toss up between hyo ri and ji won.

pic 1 & 2, respectively.

Eason

Bicurious Racist
Reaction score
Originally Posted by adelphi
what is american food?

Anything influenced by American culture or cuisine and found in America. Northwest food has a lot of salmon, fresh greens and wild grains. Southern is it's own area. Nobody knows what American food is exactly, but it does indeed exist. And it isn't burgers and french fries.

Originally Posted by madaboutshirt
If you are talking about Asian foods in general, they are definitely better in Asia. Maybe you don't always get the same high quality ingredients, e.g. seafood, but the way they are cooked is definitely more authentic/better.

haha, I can empathsise with you on this one. A lot of people would find Chinese food very greasy, myself included.

But the chef is right, when it comes to Chinese stir fries especially Sichuan style, not adding enough oil will make the dish very "dry" and it just doesn't taste as good. Its similar sort of thing with salt.

Anyway, there are 8 main cooking styles in China, you can always pick and choose. Cantonese (GuangDong) cuisines are the least oily and salty out of the 8, they like everything, especially their seafood, steamed.

btw, its not XIAO FENG YOU, its SHAO FANG YOU.

yeah sorry that's early morning pinyin. not like I ask them to DA FENG LA JIAO, duo feng of course. I'd have to say Hunan food is my favourite. Really, really delicious, excellent and spicy without being too oily. Shanghainese is too sweet and candylike, while guangdong food tends to be too soupy for me. Around here it's mainly Sichuan, xin jiang, and shui jiao places (and huo guo, but it's too expensive to eat regularly :'( ). No places I really like to eat, I prefer to cook my own food for nutritional purposes, but if you're familiar with the chain I'm really fond of MeiZhou DongPo restaurants.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 91 37.6%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 37.2%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 25 10.3%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 40 16.5%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.7%

Forum statistics

Threads