• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Knot with British spread collar?

Matt S

Reaction score
Originally Posted by Recoil
It is traditional; it's the the FIH with the spread collar that is a newer phenomenon.

The FIH with a spread collar has been done for a long time. Prince Charles has always done it.

Recoil

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Matt S
The FIH with a spread collar has been done for a long time. Prince Charles has always done it.
I use newer as a relative term. I've always understood that the spread collar was originally worn to accommodate a larger tie knot.

NickPollica

Distinguished Member
Affiliate Vendor
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Recoil
I always use the four in hand on a spread collar. No real reason to use anything but. Look at the WAYWTD thread, 99% of knots are FIH despite the collar and they always look great.

+1,000,000

To be honest, I've never known a really well dressed guy that ties any knot other than a FIH. If you want a thicker knot wrap it twice but windsors both half and full are nerdy.

k4lnamja

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by NickPollica
+1,000,000

To be honest, I've never known a really well dressed guy that ties any knot other than a FIH. If you want a thicker knot wrap it twice but windsors both half and full are nerdy.

Nerdy? I tie half and full's all of the time!
boxing[1].gif

Quadcammer

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
+1,000,000

thats silly.

not to mention, we are on the internet critiquing other male's tie knots. I think we all qualify as "nerdy"

tredstone

Reaction score
+1,000,000

To be honest, I've never known a really well dressed guy that ties any knot other than a FIH.

fing02[1].gif

Hadrian

Reaction score
Originally Posted by Quadcammer
I don't care what anyone here says, I like cutaway spread collars and full windsor knots. It may not be the most traditional look, but its the one I like.

thats silly.

not to mention, we are on the internet critiquing other male's tie knots. I think we all qualify as "nerdy"

Strong irony...

GBer

Reaction score
Easy - Four in hand

alternatives: half Windsor, full Windsor

patrickBOOTH

Stylish Dinosaur
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
What is this need to "fill" the space of a collar? I think the four in hand looks perfect with everything. Big knots just look tacky regardless of the collar.

marg

Reaction score
i prefer the cleaner look of the half windsor with spread collars, especially for business. polo collar means four in hand. sometimes i'll do the four in hand with the thicker ties so it doesn't look too ari gold (nothing wrong with that - just not my style), but i'll play around with the tie to make it look more even.

LilacCords

Reaction score
FIH unless you want to look like a british footballer, or the guy whose come to mend the photocopier....

w.o.e.is.me.

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I don't care what anyone here says, I like cutaway spread collars and full windsor knots. It may not be the most traditional look, but its the one I like.

Agreed. I understan d that the look has been somewhat coopted and bastardized by atheletes...but it's what I go with. I think when the knot is a tasteful size, it's a great look.

Quadcammer

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Hadrian
Strong irony...

You might want to renew your understanding of what irony is.

When I stated "we all qualify as nerds" I am including myself, since here I am, arguing about it.

Therefore, my two statements were not ironic.

Fat-tie-knot

Reaction score
I guess it is pretty obvious what the recomendation is going to be from a guy who's name is "Fat tie knot."

I love big tie knots. I regularly sport full windsors and double Hanovers. I think they look great and do not make you look like a footballer or the guy who fixes the copier. They add balance to that huge open collar.

Sazerac

Reaction score
Originally Posted by Fat-tie-knot
I regularly sport full windsors and double Hanovers.

I had to look that one up. That's some graduate level stuff.

Do you know if the Pratt knot is the same thing as the Shelby knot?

(Ninety-nine percent of the time, the FIH is what I'll use. I haven't done a Windsor, half or full, in years.)

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 91 37.4%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 37.0%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 26 10.7%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 40 16.5%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.6%

Forum statistics

Threads