• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Knitwear Brand Recommendations

Son Of Saphir

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
How would you rank those brands quality wise?

get the william lockie or buy Malo on discount.

Inis Meáin wool = pills a lot
John Smedley wool = meh
Johnstons of Elgin cashmere = nice but it pills moderately

georgeka

Reaction score
How would you rank those brands quality wise?

It's hard to judge, because I own very different pieces from each brand:
Inis Meain - heavy merino knit (i noticed some pilling in the very beginning, but then it stopped. like this stuff the most).
John Smedley and Uniqlo - fine merino crew-necks and cardigans (here I'm with this opinion https://www.permanentstyle.com/2020/02/best-value-product-uniqlo-or-what-you-get-for-your-money.html).
Jamieson’s of Shetland - well I bought only yarns (shetland/lambswool blend) and my mother in law kindly made me a beautiful crew-neck.
Johnstons of Elgin, William Lockie and Scott & Charters - I own solely scarfs/beanies from them (mostly cashmere). Here I can put William Lockie on top.

I'm pleased with the quality of each garment. No noticeable pilling so far, but all of those are in my possession no longer than 3 years (I'm relatively new to quality clothes).
In my case it's not only about quality, but rather with the fit, which only perfect with Inis Meain. Anyway I would say you can't go wrong with any of them.

Ebitdaddy

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Here's what I found on Yoox. Btw if I'm a 16 shirt size but 46 (US) suit jacket size + 33 waist how should I size for knitwear? My suit jackets usually have to be brought in at the waist a lot.

Here's what I'm picking between. I think top left might be too chunky.

Leaning towards the Della Ciana.

Ebitdaddy

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Went with Della Ciana. I'll report back on quility when it gets here this Monday.

philosophe

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I love Lockie and Scott and Charters. I've had good luck with Drumohr, Smedley, and Della Ciana. Zanone is also great.

hrv123

Reaction score
I agree with the piling comments on Inis Meain. There's a lot of love for it on SF, but of the 4 sweaters I have, 3 of the 4 have pilled quite significantly and a lot more than cheaper alternatives that I've had.

coloRLOw

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
i think i have had too many sweaters, but far not enough to old day scotland cashmere.
these are what i find recently:cool:

111.jpg

Touch the Earth

Reaction score
I have a number of pieces from the John Smedley outlet. Very happy with the colour and cut, their sizing is intelligent, although I find some of the sea island cotton tops lose their shape after one or two washes.

Knurt

Reaction score
I have a number of pieces from the John Smedley outlet. Very happy with the colour and cut, their sizing is intelligent, although I find some of the sea island cotton tops lose their shape after one or two washes.

Exactly my experience. Thin merinos highly recommended. Sea island cotton to be avoided. I also have excellent experience with thin merinos from canali.

Ebitdaddy

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Got my Della Ciana turtleneck. It's great! We will see how it holds up. Overall very happy for the money. It's not too thin like a lot of Italian turtlenecks and not overly thick so I can still wear it with a suit. :)

msugarman

Reaction score
Looking for a good quality mockneck or turtleneck I can wear with a sport coat. Any recommendations as far as brands go?
Check out Ballentyne & Pringle - both are great, classic scottish knitwear companies that make fully fashioned knitwear, for years, they have defined high-end knitwear

justsayno

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Cucinelli cashmere and William Lockie cashmere are great. Margaret Howell has been good to me as well.

Touch the Earth

Reaction score
In the UK Marks and Spencer’s merino are excellent for the money. You have to look closely at the colours, but for fit and durability they are unsurpassed in my collection.

Yorky

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
John Smedley suits your needs perfectly.
I agree, been buying Smedley knitwear for nearly 40 years, and still have my first ever purchase, although it no longer fits.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 92 37.6%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 36.7%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 26 10.6%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 41 16.7%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.5%

Forum statistics

Threads