1. And... we're back. You'll notice that all of your images are back as well, as are our beloved emoticons, including the infamous :foo: We have also worked with our server folks and developers to fix the issues that were slowing down the site.

There is still work to be done - the images in existing sigs are not yet linked, for example, and we are working on a way to get the images to load faster - which will improve the performance of the site, especially on the pages with a ton of images, and we will continue to work diligently on that and keep you updated.

Cheers,

Fok on behalf of the entire Styleforum team
    Dismiss Notice

Knits for business?

Discussion in 'Classic Menswear' started by The Louche, May 6, 2009.

1. The Louche

The Louche Senior member

So its obvious that SFers like knit ties. I love them myself. But I want to know - do you wear them with a suit for business? I'm not saying that they are CBD - even though some may even think as much - I'm just curious if they are "acceptable" to sartorially oriented individuals as day-to-day business wear.

2. gdl203

gdl203 Senior member Dubiously Honored Affiliate Vendor

3. Film Noir Buff

Film Noir Buff Senior member

I would never wear one for anything I considered serious. I think of a knit tie as more academia, art world, dress down, TGIF and if appropriately bad, Appleby's, Dave and Buster, mailroom etc...

4. dopey

dopey Senior member Dubiously Honored

I had my tailor make some ties out of leftover fresco cloth. The ties are sevenfold, so the 8-9 oz came out much better than the heavier 10/11 oz ones, which tie up kind of bulky. They are solid colors - tan, marine blue and navy.

I plan on wearing them for business with flannel suits or casual, with tweeds. I am guessing that you would not approve.

5. voxsartoria

voxsartoria Senior member

Do they breathe in the breezes?

- B

6. dopey

They might, but they are laconic, so I don't hear a thing.

7. JibranK

JibranK Senior member

[​IMG] This fellow did.

8. itsstillmatt

itsstillmatt Senior member Dubiously Honored

I do, but only when I am a client. I don't think I would if I had to present or sell.

9. whiteslashasian

whiteslashasian Senior member

I would not wear knit ties to a client meeting. However for day to day work, I think they would be perfectly fine for me.

10. dopey

It wasn't foofed out, so I assume it is acceptable:
    [​IMG]

11. gdl203

gdl203 Senior member Dubiously Honored Affiliate Vendor

Obviously, the answer depends on what one's "business" is. I'd think for most of us, it wouldn't be "acceptable".

12. Cas Ruffin

Cas Ruffin Senior member

It wasn't foofed out, so I assume it is acceptable:
    [​IMG]

This is the first Foofed I've come across where I can actually see the difference.

13. Film Noir Buff

I had my tailor make some ties out of leftover fresco cloth. The ties are sevenfold, so the 8-9 oz came out much better than the heavier 10/11 oz ones, which tie up kind of bulky. They are solid colors - tan, marine blue and navy. I plan on wearing them for business with flannel suits or casual, with tweeds. I am guessing that you would not approve.
    Well they can't suck any worse than a Fresco suit. Do you have photos of these curios?

14. CorneliusP

CorneliusP Senior member

Knit ties are WAY too dressy for me.

Let me rephrase: Ties are WAY too dressy for engineers.

I recently started wearing knit ties to the office for fun. Many compliments around town.

15. dopey

Well they can't suck any worse than a Fresco suit. Do you have photos of these curios?

No. But I think you can picture it pretty easily: imagine a tie, but out of fresco. That is what they look like.

16. soupcxan

soupcxan Senior member

I hate knit ties. If I met with two salesmen, and one had a knit tie, the other no tie at all, I would give my business to the man with the sense not to wear a knit tie (everything else being equal). If I saw someone out at a social event wearing a knit tie, I would think to myself "oh, there's Guy LaDouche. haven't seen him in a while."

17. onix

onix Senior member

I hate knit ties. If I met with two salesmen, and one had a knit tie, the other no tie at all, I would give my business to the man with the sense not to wear a knit tie (everything else being equal). If I saw someone out at a social event wearing a knit tie, I would think to myself "oh, there's Guy LaDouche. haven't seen him in a while."

Why is wearing a knit tie equal to being a douche?

18. rob

rob Senior member

In my world, things have gotten so casual that I get comments and "looks" only when I wear a suit. And I'm a corporate lawyer, albeit one at a small firm. Almost all my clients expect me to dress casual and it almost always elicites a comment when I don't.

Regarding knit ties, if anyone comments, they call it a sock tie.

Rob

19. Film Noir Buff

No. But I think you can picture it pretty easily: imagine a tie, but out of fresco. That is what they look like.
    No need to get testy, I wasn't sure if you were making this up or not. I have a hard enough time imagining a suit from fresco. I still have a bolt of that stuff, I would llike Logsdail to make a DB suit for a dog from it.

20. dopey

No need to get testy, I wasn't sure if you were making this up or not. I have a hard enough time imagining a suit from fresco. I still have a bolt of that stuff, I would llike Logsdail to make a DB suit for a dog from it.

When in doubt . . .