Knit ties?

Discussion in 'Classic Menswear' started by Super Fly, Jul 22, 2004.

1. Super Fly

Super Fly Well-Known Member

Anyone have any recommendations on silk knit ties. I saw one at J Crew Here, made in Italy that looked good. Any opinions or alternatives?

2. Nick M

Nick M Senior member

I was going to suggest Lands' End, but it looks like J. Crew have a larger selection of colors, and they're five bucks cheaper. EDIT: Forgot about Ralph Lauren. There's always plenty of marked-down silk knits at my local RL outlet.

3. Phil

Phil Senior member

Those knit ties are a preppy staple, and have been popping up at alot of places. You can get them at Ralph Lauren and Paul Stuart. I cant comment on RL's selection, other than I saw a few on my last visit to the Madison Ave. store. Paul Stuart has a collection of at least 20, if my memory serves correctly. In both solids and stripes. Price is $65.00, but I may be wrong about that.

4. discostu004

discostu004 Affiliate vendor

i know it's "selling" but i have barbera cashmere knits in blue, gold, and red for $25 each, retailed at 185, if you're interested
    lance

5. STYLESTUDENT

STYLESTUDENT Senior member

"Superfly", despite your less than traditional movie past (haha), I assume that you now have the long-point button-down shirts and cuffed plain-front pants that stylistically work well with this item. I know you have the Alden cordovan loafers. Black is the traditional color for this tie and goes with everything. Make sure that there is a lining (or fabric piece) under where you tie the tie-it helps with the knot. Try knotting one in a store before you buy-it's harder to get a good knot on this type of tie. I'd check out Purple Label for this item (there hasn't been a black one yet on Ebay, but there are other colors available).

6. Super Fly

Super Fly Well-Known Member

Yes, I have changed my style since my movie came out- far more traditional. No more wide brimmed fur hats. Thanks for the tie tip Style Student, black silk is the color/fabric of choice.