Knit ties

Discussion in 'Classic Menswear' started by denning, Apr 9, 2005.

1. denning

denning Senior member

I was interested in getting the forum's general consensus on knit ties (ie. cashmere etc.). For those who wear these how useful do you find them? For those versed in sartorial rules how formal are knit ties? Are these to be worn with sportcoats only (ie. too informal for suits)?

All opinions/comments welcome.

Cheers,

Denning

2. FFW

FFW Active Member

I love cashmere ties in one color. I think they look much better then silk ties.

3. Will

Will Senior member Dubiously Honored

Black or navy knits are fine with suits. Other colors may be better with odd jackets.

4. lisapop

lisapop Senior member

I like the look of knit ties and have *tried* wearing many varieties, in various materials, but, ultimately, I'm displeased with their characteristic cumbersome, inelegant knots. Smooth silk remains the best material for elegant knots. And, Charvet ties, in my humble experience, produce the most elegant knots with perfectly symmetrical dimps.
    Grayson

5. Manton

Manton RINO Dubiously Honored

There are two kinds of knit ties: 1) those made like a "regular" tie, i.e., the shell is folded over a wool lining, and the ends come to a point; and 2) those with no lining, made like "tubes", that have straight edges at the bottoms.

Type one are generally made of silk grenadine, and are pretty formal: suit ties, for all intents and purposes.  Type two are often called "sock ties."  They may be made of silk, wool, or cashemere, or some blend.  These are informal ties.    I wouldn't go so far as to say that they should only be worn with odd jackets and never with suits, but I'm tempted too ... In any case, I wouldn't wear them with a smart worsted suit.  Flannel or tweed, maybe.

BTW: there are worsted cashmere ties made like type 1 that go very will with winter suits. Those are not really knits, however.

6. AlanC

AlanC Minister of Trad

I thought grenadine was technically a weave rather than a knit, although obviously the look is similar.

I have seen actual knit ties that come to a point like a 'real' tie that are not sewn around a lining.

FWIW, on page 5 of the Spring & Summer J Press catalog there is an olive gabardine suit pictured with a 'mustard' silk knit tie. It looks pretty good. I assume it's of the squared off end variety.

7. Manton

You may well be right.  But it sure looks like a knit.  It's very loose and the gaps are big enough to show significant light.

I have too, but I think those look cheesy.  It's like they can't decide what they want to be.

8. Will

Recall the early James Bond films when Sean Connery was dressing like an Englishman. Tropical worsteds, white shirt and dark knit tie. I consider it midway between an office and a country look.

9. Manton

Good point. That would have had to be silk, though, right?

10. Will