• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Knit ties - what history and future?

tobiasj

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

Here are two of my favorites. I think these textures and colors are very versatile for a casual look.
First is a charcoal cashmere knit tie from Luciano Barbera
Paprikagrey.jpg

Second is a heather brown and blue silk knit from Luciano Barbera
heatherknit.jpg

Love those knits. Love them.

AxlJack

Reaction score
The only time ive seen someone wear a knit tie irl was a researcher at a presentation about his paper. Felt it was very appropriate for the event

Nicola

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
They were common enough in the 80s. Something often worn if you were told to wear a tie but didn't want to wear one

JayJay

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Usually what I wear with a blazer for business casual events. Love them.

tobiasj

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

They were common enough in the 80s. Something often worn if you were told to wear a tie but didn't want to wear one

I think that's the thing--now people just go without a tie altogether unless they have to wear one. The 'casual tie' aesthetic has gone AWOL. I want it back!

Pliny

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
love Knit ties .
for a casual look IMO, and if worn with a shawl collar cardi or jacket the square end isn't visible if that's an issue. Yes, popular in the eighties, but so were regular ties, and wearing shoes for that matter. Warm, casual, textured look, what's not to love?

Last edited:

doughboysc

Reaction score
I've recently bought a burgundy Robert Talbott necktie at David Lindsey Clothers in Greenwood, SC months ago. Classic!

tobiasj

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Sorry for the spam, but I have a small knit tie collection for sale at the moment through the B&S if anyone is looking to pick up a couple.

Frankie22

Timed Out
Timed Out
Reaction score
I love knits (I probably own 25). Been ordering from the wang lately
icon_gu_b_slayer[1].gif

Saw a guy with a knit on last weekend (Boston). First knit I've seen on someone other than moi
cheers.gif

Last edited:

ColdEyedPugilist

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
My go-to casual tie these days is the black silk 'crunchy' knit from Drakes that I'm wearing today.

Quite partial to my black-shot brown (also Drakes) as well.

And I have a navy with white spots from our very own Ozzie label, Henry Carter Neckwear, enroute as we speak. :slayer:

Think knits are crazy funky? Try wearing Shantung...

Agatha Crusty

Reaction score
I suppose this thread is about crochet ties and not grenadines - which is what Connery is wearing in those two Bond photos.

I wear them and I also see them with some frequency, though less so than regular silk ties. To my mind a quality silk knit is rather stylish and not just a casual tie. I don't really care whether they can or can't be found in a L. Fellows illustration from donkeys years ago, or what the self-appointed style administrators of the blogosphere think is appropriate.

FillW

Reaction score
Here are two of my favorites. I think these textures and colors are very versatile for a casual look.

First is a charcoal cashmere knit tie from Luciano Barbera
Paprikagrey.jpg

Second is a heather brown and blue silk knit from Luciano Barbera
heatherknit.jpg

I found one in a little lighter color at a thrift last weekend that I might wear this weekend. I also have a black one.
icon_gu_b_slayer[1].gif

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 91 37.9%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 89 37.1%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 25 10.4%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 39 16.3%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 37 15.4%

Forum statistics

Threads