• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • We would like to welcome House of Huntington as an official Affiliate Vendor. Shop past season Drake's, Nigel Cabourn, Private White V.C. and other menswear luxury brands at exceptional prices below retail. Please visit the Houise of Huntington thread and welcome them to the forum.

• STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Knit ties - what history and future?

blahman

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I've only ever seen one other person on the street, besides myself, who wore a knit tie. And I'm pretty certain he's a SF member. So I don't see the knit tie fashion explosion at all.

Hell, knit ties even seems highly unpopular as they seem to be the first ones to be on the discount list and at the steepest discounts in menswear stores.

Last edited:

blahman

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

CYstyle

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I end up wearing knit ties almost everyday. I like the texture that knit ties provide, I find alot of times regular silk ties to be monotonous flat and dull

cold war painter

Reaction score

Me too! I've been thinking that a herringbone tweed solid would be a nice versatile jacket.
I have a navy herringbone tweed that I probably wear too often. I think it's a Dormeuil fabric. I'd quite like a chunky grey herringbone too, like that photo of the Japanese guy that always crops up here. As for knit ties, I too find they are a nice way to vary texture, especially since I'm fairly restrained with colour.

Achilles_

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

I have a navy herringbone tweed that I probably wear too often. I think it's a Dormeuil fabric. I'd quite like a chunky grey herringbone too, like that photo of the Japanese guy that always crops up here.

As for knit ties, I too find they are a nice way to vary texture, especially since I'm fairly restrained with colour.

Pice of SC? I've been thinking about getting a navy herringbone jacket made by bookster (tweed of course).... and a brown herringbone.... and a brown/greenish windowpane.

Achillus

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I never see it on the street except me wearing it. But the are great.

Jay Gatsby

Reaction score
The texture lends itself to an autumn / winter -- tweed and thick wool. I don't know that I've seen it with formal wear, unless you mean a suit.

imatlas

Saucy White Boy
Reaction score
I'm a fan, but rarely-to-never see them on the hoof. I get more compliments from my knit ties than any other ties in my collection.

Last edited:

cold war painter

Reaction score

Pice of SC? I've been thinking about getting a navy herringbone jacket made by bookster (tweed of course).... and a brown herringbone.... and a brown/greenish windowpane.

There ya go .. with silk knit tie in an attempt to remain vaguely on topic:

P1020905.jpg

Selvaggio

Reaction score
I wear them a lot and I work in a fairly conservative environment - by Australian standards it would be just about as conservative as you get.

I like the texture and the way it dresses down the formality of the rest of what I wear (dark worsted suits, plain or striped shirts etc).

So I am still wearing the 'uniform' - dark suit, shirt, tie..nothing too bright - but with a bit of individuality by going for a textured tie. Same if I choose non-black shoes or a pocket square, both of which are rarely seen here.

I can fit in and be myself.

Also, it is a bit a nostalgic thing as I wore them a lot as a young man in the 1980s - it was the preppy thing I guess.

Achillus

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Just wear it.

Trompe le Monde

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
i like that they have a very pronounced texture. couldnt care less about their history, future, or where they sit on the fashion-trend curve

Master-Classter

Distinguished Member
Spamminator Moderator
Reaction score

Me too! I've been thinking that a herringbone tweed solid would be a nice versatile jacket.
I like Dustin's jacket.
funny you should mention that one in particular... I quite liked the wardrobe in The Graduate so I took some screen shots a while back of that SC as inspiration for a commission... here ya go:
graduategreyherringbone.jpg
graduategreyherringbonec.jpg

blahman

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I like the fact that they can pull chicks.
"OMG WTF BBQ Your tie is so funky looking!"
"Come take a closer look, woman. Go lower and check out it's square end."

Last edited:

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 55 36.7%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 59 39.3%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 15 10.0%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 26 17.3%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 26 17.3%

Forum statistics

Threads