Knit Ties for Formal Occasion?

Discussion in 'Classic Menswear' started by iFashionNovice, Nov 13, 2015.

1. iFashionNovice

iFashionNovice New Member

Hello,

I have recently bought a knitted tie for a formal event coming up. It is basically a group of friends going to a place where they take pictures for graduation. It is considered a formal occasion. I got my suit ready but I am not sure if knit ties would be appropriate. I read online that knit ties are casual yet you can still wear it to formal occasions but not job interviews, etc.. May I hear your guys suggestions please? I have zero fashion sense. :)

2. YRR92

YRR92 Senior member

Depends on the knit tie. Wool and quite chunky would be a bold choice, a fairly refined silk one would be hard to tell from a grenadine or other textured solid – totally appropriate.

If you have no fashion sense, I'll mention this: your best bet is to do a dark suit, dark shoes, and a white shirt, whatever tie you choose.

Last edited: Nov 13, 2015

3. iFashionNovice

Thank you for the reply. Can you clarify on what you mean by quite chunky? I bought the Haight and Ashbury dotted knit tie.

4. YRR92

YRR92 Senior member

Chunky:
    [​IMG]

Not so chunky:

[​IMG]

I googled what you said you picked up, and it looked like something that would pass muster.

5. iFashionNovice

I'll be wearing the tie then. Thank you!!

6. TOstyle

TOstyle Senior member

Silk knit ties are classy as f*ck. If you can get your hands on one of those you'll be great.