1. In 2018. by way of thanks for being a part of this community, we'll be choosing 16 active members of our community at random to receive a special gift and a gift certificate for one of our affiliate vendors, to represent each of our 16 years.

Fok and the Styleforum Team

Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice

STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Knit tie inspiration

Discussion in 'Classic Menswear' started by dnesan, Jul 8, 2011.

1. dnesan

dnesan Member

Can you teach me how to rock a knit tie?

At first, I didn't quite understand the knit tie thing, I always figured the patterned/striped tie was king. But now I'm starting to feel the knit tie love growing. Can you teach me how to work it well?

I get that it's more a casual piece, which works because I'm a casual guy (grad student). I just could use some advice and inspiration images to get me on my way. How do you gentlemen incorporate them into your outfits? Help me SF-ers, you're my only hope!

Note: if I've somehow missed a classic thread on this, then if someone could point me in the right direction, I'll take my deserved flogging and be on my way.

2. Threadbearer

Threadbearer Distinguished Member

Outside the Beltway but still in the Danger Zone

At first, I didn't quite understand the knit tie thing, I always figured the patterned/striped tie was king. But now I'm starting to feel the knit tie love growing. Can you teach me how to work it well?

I get that it's more a casual piece, which works because I'm a casual guy (grad student). I just could use some advice and inspiration images to get me on my way. How do you gentlemen incorporate them into your outfits? Help me SF-ers, you're my only hope!

Note: if I've somehow missed a classic thread on this, then if someone could point me in the right direction, I'll take my deserved flogging and be on my way.

This question doesn't deserve a flogging, but about a dozen guys are going to recommend that you just start following the WAYWRN thread. I might as well be the first to do so.

3. DerekS

DerekS Guyliner

get a dark color, maybe navy or brown, and wear it with anything. I have a gold one from BB that I wear with a chambray shirt under a tan linen suit. you can wear a knit with any outfit you wear a regular tie.

4. acecow

acecow Distinguished Member

No different from any other regular tie you have. I don't have any saved photos, but I'm sure you can find plenty of superb examples in the WAYWRN All-Star thread.

Here's how I wore it a few weeks ago, if that helps:

[​IMG]

5. GoldenTribe

GoldenTribe Distinguished Member

[...] I'm starting to feel the knit tie love growing. Can you teach me how to work it well?

Do you own any? Are they square-bottomed? I've owned two of those for a couple of years now and never worn either of them.

But last month I went on a little spree and bought three upscale grenadines (2 Tom Ford, 1 Brioni), all of which have a traditional tie shape including the pointy bottom, and for whatever reason I find myself much more inclined to wear these ones whereas something about the square-bottomed ones just never worked for me.

6. SpooPoker

SpooPoker Internet Bigtimer and Most Popular Man on Campus Dubiously Honored Affiliate Vendor

Do you own any? Are they square-bottomed? I've owned two of those for a couple of years now and never worn either of them.

But last month I went on a little spree and bought three upscale grenadines (2 Tom Ford, 1 Brioni), all of which have a traditional tie shape including the pointy bottom, and for whatever reason I find myself much more inclined to wear these ones whereas something about the square-bottomed ones just never worked for me.

How are those TF ones doing? I miss them.

7. Kaplan

Kaplan Distinguished Member

But last month I went on a little spree and bought three upscale grenadines
    Grenadine is a weave not a knit, in case anyone cares [​IMG]

8. GoldenTribe

Well they've got unimpeachable company in my collection, so I'd say they're doing quite well.
    Grenadine is a weave not a knit, in case anyone cares [​IMG]
    If they don't qualify, my mistake. I wonder if the OP is as informed about the nominal nuances as you are.

9. Guero

Guero Senior Member

Well, in Kaplan's defense, it's not just a nominal difference to people who care, and it doesn't hurt to help out the OP with some additional knowledge in his sartorial pursuits. I bet he'll be looking at grenadines next.

10. SkinnyGoomba

SkinnyGoomba Stylish Dinosaur

Ace, what style/brand are those chukkas, if You don't mind me asking.

11. GoldenTribe

Well, in Kaplan's defense, it's not just a nominal difference to people who care, and it doesn't hurt to help out the OP with some additional knowledge in his sartorial pursuits. I bet he'll be looking at grenadines next.

In his defense? Did I write anything that you interpreted as my mounting an offense?

12. Guero

Guero Senior Member

In his defense? Did I write anything that you interpreted as my mounting an offense?

Sure, you described a distinct difference in the two ties as "nominal," after you were politely corrected in a helpful post. It certainly reads passive aggressive. If I've mischaracterized your intent, my apologies. As I suggested, you've now probably piqued the OP's interest in grenadines, and that's a good thing. [​IMG]

13. acecow

acecow Distinguished Member

14. Gus

Gus Stylish Dinosaur Dubiously Honored

Here is another source of the pointed silk ones in rather classic colors

http://store.asuitablewardrobe.net/t...alnecktie.aspx

http://store.asuitablewardrobe.net/t...lknecktie.aspx

15. Mac

Mac Senior Member