• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Knit tie bombed at work...

Sebastian

Reaction score
Don't worry! They will like knits, when they got used to it.

I have experienced this quite often:
First a knit looks strange to them because of the square bottom, but when they see them on a regular basis, they will start to appreciate the casual charakter and you'll see, they will start to wear them themselves. That's the group think you could see around here. Doc Holiday started the hype and now everyone is wearing knit ties.

MBreinin

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I wore them in the '80s. I had a pink Polo knit tie that I loved. I can't do it again. I can't get on this wagon. I know alot you here like them, but I can't seem to open up to them. LOL.

TBSDSpaniard

Reaction score
Originally Posted by Luddite
One girl at work keeps talking about my "sock ties".

I stare at her and look confused, mostly.

I know how that feels...all my co-workers four of them women, all laugh when I wear mine.
I find I get the best response from my paisley ties.....strange.

whistle&flute

Reaction score
Originally Posted by kannoos
I think you would have been fine if you'd kept your coat buttoned. The bottom of your tie isn't meant to be seen anyway.
devil.gif

Said who?

ferry1950

Reaction score
Been wearing them in Richmond where they are reasonabley acceptable for the last couple of years.

DoubleDomer

Reaction score
Originally Posted by MiloX

Whereas a grenadine knit dresses up quite nicely, though.

I was under the impression that grenadine was an open weave, not a knit.

But if I understand correctly, the point was that different textures add interest. To that point, I wholly agree.

kannoos

Reaction score
Originally Posted by whistle&flute
Said who?

Shirts were considered underwear in the past, and only the collar, cuffs and a bit below the collar were supposed to be seen, and thus the bottom of the tie was also always hidden. This was when everyone wore waistcoats. When DB two pieces came into fashion, it wasn't a problem because they were always kept buttoned, thus hiding the lower part of the shirt and the bottom of the tie. However, the SB two piece was initially considered a bit indecent and the more old-fashioned (or just uptight) people would always keep them buttoned, even when sitting down. Showing your trouser waistband and hence the bottom of your tie was not really the done thing in the first half of the 20th century. It is obviously a bit ridiculous to expect people to follow this rule (it wasn't really even a rule for many people in the 1940s) nowadays, hence the smilie at the end of my post.

bowtielover

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I'm not a big fan of them either mostly for the material and yes the square bottom. It works but not quite appropriate for my office.

Sam Hober

Distinguished Member
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
Originally Posted by DoubleDomer
I was under the impression that grenadine was an open weave, not a knit. But if I understand correctly, the point was that different textures add interest. To that point, I wholly agree.
DoubleDomer, Yes, you are correct grenadines are a loose weave.

mt_spiffy

Reaction score
Has the word 'swagger' permiated even these forums?!

MiloX

Reaction score
Originally Posted by Sam Hober
DoubleDomer,

Yes, you are correct grenadines are a loose weave.

Well there ya go... learn something new every day.

Thanks doubledomer and david.

MiloX

Reaction score
Originally Posted by mt_spiffy
Has the word 'swagger' permiated even these forums?!
Note, I did not use the more colloquial 'swagga'. Got to maintain some level of decorum in MC. DT...on the other hand.... And while I'm at it... tie your damn ties appropriately. Kids these days with their 5 button suits and square-toed shoes....
devil.gif
devil.gif
And STAY OFF THE LAWN!

David Reeves

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by btinl
I've been asked if the 80s were back (in reference to my knit RLPL tie).

Erm yes they are....HELLO!

Wall street 2. Wall street f$?€£¥g 2!!!

Gawd this attitude offends me. I read the OP and my first thought was **** them! Looks like I wasn't alone. What's with totally unqualified and badly dressed people dishing out caustic fashion advice?

SkinnyGoomba

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Originally Posted by David Reeves
Gawd this attitude offends me. I read the OP and my first thought was **** them! Looks like I wasn't alone. What's with totally unqualified and badly dressed people dishing out caustic fashion advice?
LOL, i love it when i get that, the last person to tell me i needed a shoe polish was wearing a pair of black running shoes without about 300k on them. I just looked at him, laughed, and said "so do you pal"......now we're friends.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 85 37.4%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 87 38.3%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 24 10.6%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 35 15.4%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 36 15.9%

Forum statistics

Threads