• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Knit blazers

BlackYeti

Reaction score
I love knits and so love the idea in theory, but I've yet to see a knit blazer that did not make me think a shawl-neck cardigan or structured wool blazer would look better. Any really good examples come to mind?

And for those who have experience with them, do they lose shape quickly? Did you have to find some specialized cleaner to take care of 'em?

I'm including belted cardigans here too. I like them in theory...

reidrothchild

Reaction score
I have a knit cotton jersey blazer. I view mine as more of a cardigan than a blazer. Knit blazers are kind've in a weird place on the formality spectrum, which is why I haven't purchased more and why mine doesn't get much wear. An unstructured woven blazer is pretty casual but just formal enough to wear with a textured tie, so I grab one of those for a more casual work look. In non-work environments, I'd rather be wearing a shawl collar cardigan. Mine gets broke out mostly for church when I'd like to look a little dressy but also don't want to be wearing a nice sportcoat that would need to be dry cleaned if one of my kids spills something on it at lunch.

As far as belted cardigans, that's a high degree of difficulty to pull off. Proceed with caution.

BlackYeti

Reaction score
Knit cotton is much more sensible than wool. This is why I have such a problem with some of Cucinelli's stuff: they don't consider upkeep when they use cashmere everywhere and I end up wearing the thing with the delicacy of a ball gown.

reidrothchild

Reaction score
Agreed. It may be heresy to say on SF, but I don't really like wool or cashmere sweaters. The process of hand washing one is just annoying enough that I usually grab a cotton knit instead because I know I can just throw it in the washing machine if I spill something on it.

MikeDT

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Meh!... it's been done before.... Starsky & Hutch 1978.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 92 37.6%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 36.7%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 26 10.6%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 41 16.7%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.5%

Forum statistics

Threads