• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

knife storage

Rambo

Timed Out
Timed Out
Reaction score
Originally Posted by philosophe
I like this idea. Any pictures? @Matt: Just gentle fun. It's funny that you mention Oxbow hay, as I just bought some at the pet store today.
Will you be using it to roast or sous vide? I hear that if you place it into the pouch it imparts a delightful "farmy" flavor.

braised

Reaction score

Thomas, I just want you to know, I can sharpen my knives like a Samurai now. No guiding gizmo either, just me, the knife, and a stone.

Bonzai!!!!!!!!!!1!
ah.....................Chosera 10,000 grit, scarry sharp

eg1

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Magnetic strip on the side of a cupboard beside the sink (on an angle so that the handles are mostly the same height even though the knives are not the same length). On the other side of the sink, two more magnetic strips (these ones are straight up and down) for tins of spices.

Nothing fancy, but it works, and unlike the block doesn't take up counter space.

I have a roll, but only use it to take knives to be sharpened.

otc

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
I'm in the pro-magnetic strip camp.

I love having the knives available to use at a grab without taking up counter space like a block.
I have mine in multiple directions so as to better make use of the space and have never ever cut a finger reaching for one (and I grew up with one that was even more crowded with up and down facing knives than my own that only had a few knives).

The only thing I would change would be to upgrade to one of those fancy wooden ones as there is always the risk of dinging the edge on the strip when the magnet catches.

Bradden

Reaction score
Matt, what kind of space do you have at home? If you do not have enough room for a large block you need to look at some kind of drawer set up or the roll/case option. I find the magnetic strip may work in a professional kitchen, but at home it is just an accident waiting to happen.

I have been out of the cooking profession for a while now and I am now married with 3 kids in diapers also my wife and my Mother in law have little respect for my good knives, I would often find them in the bottom of a sink under pots, pans, dishes or I would have to rescue them from the harsh chemicals of the dishwasher. No matter how angry or calm I was in asking for them to take a little care my pleas were ignored so I ended up storing my good knives hidden in a roll in the top of the cupboard. I bought a decent 2nd set of knives that I store in a block that I can push back in the corner of a counter away from tiny hands. I found that if there was a place for them I would not have to search all the drawers to find one. Also it holds the steak knives and shears which helps make the kitchen a little more baby proof. The block is not the most asthetic option, but in my case it is more function over form.

itsstillmatt

The Liberator
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score

Matt, what kind of space do you have at home? If you do not have enough room for a large block you need to look at some kind of drawer set up or the roll/case option. I find the magnetic strip may work in a professional kitchen, but at home it is just an accident waiting to happen.

I have been out of the cooking profession for a while now and I am now married with 3 kids in diapers also my wife and my Mother in law have little respect for my good knives, I would often find them in the bottom of a sink under pots, pans, dishes or I would have to rescue them from the harsh chemicals of the dishwasher. No matter how angry or calm I was in asking for them to take a little care my pleas were ignored so I ended up storing my good knives hidden in a roll in the top of the cupboard. I bought a decent 2nd set of knives that I store in a block that I can push back in the corner of a counter away from tiny hands. I found that if there was a place for them I would not have to search all the drawers to find one. Also it holds the steak knives and shears which helps make the kitchen a little more baby proof. The block is not the most asthetic option, but in my case it is more function over form.

Space isn't an issue. I just don't like seeing things. Anyway, I have a solution that is good enough. Thanks.

Bradden

Reaction score
Someone should invent a sideways drawer rack that may preserve/maintain the edge a little better.

Thomas

Stylish Dinosaur
Spamminator Moderator
Reaction score
too many knives, huh? I hate it when that happens.

(okay it doesn't happen to me, since I put the really awful ones in my garage tool chest)

ehkay

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Just throw them out after each use.

TheMangelo

Reaction score
I've not used this personally, since I use a block, but have you considered this solution?

http://www.chefscatalog.com/product/25197-wusthof-in-drawer-knife-block-14-slot.aspx
Seems to me that, no matter what, if the blade is resting on its belly/edge, it'll dull. That's why well-thought-out knife blocks hold the knives such that their weight is on the side of the blade, not the edge. Remember that the knife's edge is finer than paper (if you sharpen it properly, of course) and that's why we use a steel before chopping — to straighten the otherwise imperceptible ripples and folds that come with manhandling such a delicate instrument.

Of course, you could rest the knives belly-side-up in the drawer using that contraption, but that's ill advised. :p

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 91 37.4%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 37.0%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 26 10.7%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 40 16.5%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.6%

Forum statistics

Threads