• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Knee issues, hard leather soles, gel inserts, and sizing up 1/2

Aloysius16

Reaction score
Good tip, thanks. I have a pair of Steptronics already and their range is certainly the most attractive of the ‘orthopaedic’ offerings. The ones I have are actually not quite bouncy enough for me to wear comfortably (perhaps due to their thinnish soles) but I will look at their other options, including this one.

CWV

Reaction score
I sometimes fear that wearing hard leather soles will eventually take a toll on my knees later in life. I raise this topic, again, because I recently added a certain leather soled shoe back into my Fall rotation. It is about 1/2 size too large. I happened to have a pair of gel heel inserts, and decided to put them in. Normally, I can't fit something like this into my shoes, but the 1/2 size disparity accommodated them perfectly. With the heel gels, I felt like I was walking on clouds. Only sneakers are more comfortable. They were almost as soft and bouncy as my J&M's which have a "bubble air gel" inner sole.

It made me think that I might size all future dress shoes 1/2 larger and add a heel insert gel. This seems to be a good compromise for now. Have any older members done this before resorting to ugly (but practical and comfortable) shoes to preserve your health and well-being? Has anyone had to give up leather soled shoes due to knee and joint pain later in life? Wearing thick rubber soled shoes (with thick plush inner soles) adds an entire component of shock absorption to complement your knee cartilage that is wholly absent from leather soled shoes. A heel gel is a step in that direction. Do you size up 1/2 or fit it into your current size?

For the delusional posters who insist that rock hard leathers soles are softer and more plush than sneakers or Ecco/Rockports, please save your internet insanity for another thread. In the real world, there is not a single orthopedist (or flight attendant) on the planet who will advise a person to wear leather soled shoes to reduce knee and joint pain. Women, who are obsessed with uncomfortable shoes from an early age know about this all too well. I'd like to hear from people in the real world, not people in their basements who never leave the house or go to a job. Thanks in advance.

Have you tried Wolf & Shepard? They seem like the compromise
https://wolfandshepherd.com/

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 91 37.4%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 37.0%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 26 10.7%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 40 16.5%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.6%

Forum statistics

Threads