• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • We would like to welcome House of Huntington as an official Affiliate Vendor. Shop past season Drake's, Nigel Cabourn, Private White V.C. and other menswear luxury brands at exceptional prices below retail. Please visit the Houise of Huntington thread and welcome them to the forum.

• STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Kmw 1980

blank

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
A request:

I purchase the KMW 1950's and I love the denim and details, but I'm looking for a slightly more modern fit. I picked them in my RRDS/5EP LDB size (32x32) and they fit perfectly through the waist, but I've decided if I want a repro jean, I'd like a pair of LVC's.

That said, I'm considering selling them and picking up a pair of the 1980's. I've searched and searched but there are only a few pics of people wearing the Japanese made 1980's. Can anyone who has the jeans post the pic of the fit, please? I need to decide if it's too slim.

Also, there are no 32x32's available on the web, anywhere. What would happen if I sized up to a 33? Would they end up too slouchy, or would I achieve a more relaxed fit?

Did anyone size up on the 1980's? And any fit pics would be appreciated.

evilgeniusdan

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
From my experience, the 1980's aren't very slim (at least on me). But someone did recently post a fairly slim fit pic of their 1980's in the "post pics of your denim thread"

blank

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Right, I've seen them fit both ways, so I was inquiring about sizing and how people have taken the jeans. Like I said, I buy a 32x32 in all my raw denim, but I look for a more relaxed look. I was wondering if sizing up to a 33x32 might make the jeans fit better.

blank

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
For reference, here's a pic of my 5EP LDB Resin, 32x32
764993263_c19738d914.jpg

apocalypse later

Reaction score
Hope this helps you out:

I'm a 32 true waist, 31 in raw denim.

A 31 1980(1 size down for me) is slim. A 32 1980 is slim/straight. A 33 1980 is straight but just too loose in the waist.

I think that if you want a relaxed fit, you should look elsewhere. But the 1980 is truly a wonderful cut, and if you get it true to size it will stretch to be absolutely perfect.

I could post fit pics later next week, since I'm in San Fran and I don't have my KMW's with me now.

evilgeniusdan

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Judging by the look of your LBDs and 1950's, I think you'd be fine with a 32 1980. I think it would be more modern and slim, without being too tight on you. Go for it.

blank

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I guess if I can pull off the APC NS, but I think the cut is a little slim (I had the cords), the 1980 would work for me. But there are no 32's in stock, anywhere, online. There's a 33 at Revolve, but I think sizing up would be a bad idea, too.

drizzt3117

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Originally Posted by blank
I guess if I can pull off the APC NS, but I think the cut is a little slim (I had the cords), the 1980 would work for me. But there are no 32's in stock, anywhere, online. There's a 33 at Revolve, but I think sizing up would be a bad idea, too.

I don't think the NS cut is slim at all, especially if you only sized down two... 1980s have nicer denim and details, though.

keykoo

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Hope this helps. 1980 Made in Japan in sz 29
766938673_e34a29278c.jpg
For Reference, 45rpm Sorahiko in One Wash
766938745_1429ee5c5e.jpg
So that's how they look on me with my "normal" waist size.

mongo615

Reaction score
1980's aren't anywhere near as slim as NS, IMO. If you're getting then MIJ's,get your normal size. If you're going to get the chinese ones, size down at least 1. I don't think you want to size up( unless you have a large butt or large thighs) because KMW's tend to have lots of room in the butt area, and they will sag, or worse, bulge below the belt line.

keykoo

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I would really just look for another pair of jeans. The pics of mine actually give me relatively ample room in the seat, and if I had sized up I don't think it would look very good.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 55 35.5%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 60 38.7%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 17 11.0%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 27 17.4%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 28 18.1%

Forum statistics

Threads