• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Klimt for $135 million.

designprofessor

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Assuming I had the cash to buy it, don't know if I'd chosen Klimt.

A few I would buy at a fraction of that price:

A Sargent landscape

Alphonse Mucha

Fantin Latour

A Frank Stella black painting

Trilby

Reaction score
Not sure I would describe Klimt as a fairly unknown artist, but I agree that he is outside the mainstream of the impressionists, Van Gogh and Picasso whose paintings always reach very high prices.

The identity of the buyer (the Neue Galerie/Ron Lauder) goes some way to explaining the high price. It's a major painting that would never ordinarily come to market - and this will become the centrepiece of Lauder's collection. It was a must-have for him and the museum.

itsstillmatt

The Liberator
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
Originally Posted by designprofessor
Assuming I had the cash to buy it, don't know if I'd chosen Klimt.

A few I would buy at a fraction of that price:

A Sargent landscape

Alphonse Mucha

Fantin Latour

A Frank Stella black painting

Stella is interesting. Growing up, we had a few pieces of his including what was probably the best of his copper series (generally thought to be his second best series after the blacks). I was never a huge fan and never paid much attention to him.

A few yers ago, my wife and I went to a Minimalism show at MOCA in LA. The first room of the show was completely black Stellas and it was one of the most breathtaking rooms I have ever been in. Since that time, I still do not love the copper one when I visit my parents, but I have more respect for it. Stella made a huge mistake by tring to capitalize on his great early work rather than grow from it.

I like Klimt very much.

SGladwell

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by LabelKing
A fairly unknown artist (in mainstream terms) manages to sell for quite a high sum.

I don't know. I would bet that "Der Kuss" is on more college kids' walls than any other painting.

But about this sale, I'm not so sure. It seems like a desire to punish Austria for their past played a huge role in the family getting the painting back. After all, Frau willed her art collection to the Austrian state upon her death in the mid-1920s, and her husband didn't change his family wills under he left then- Nazi Austria.

LabelKing

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
I don't feel Klimt is going to be fulfill recognition as say Picasso. Although The Kiss is very iconic for some reason. What would Adolf Loos say?

Egon Schiele was rather unknown until "rediscovered".

Lucky Strike

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by SGladwell
... After all, Frau willed her art collection to the Austrian state upon her death in the mid-1920s, and her husband didn't change his family wills under he left then- Nazi Austria.
I think the story was that he was under strong pressure not to change the will(s), at least to be able to leave. Not sure about this, though, I might be confusing it with another case.

SGladwell

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Lucky Strike
I think the story was that he was under strong pressure not to change the will(s), at least to be able to leave. Not sure about this, though, I might be confusing it with another case.

I don't know, you might be right.

But my point is that changing a will in 1938 - 1934 at the earliest, because the von Schuschnigg government's hold on the country during the "Lagerkampf" of pre-Anschluss Austria was nominal at best, and the gaining strength of the Nazis during that time was pretty apparent - for someone who died in the previous decade is just not on.

aybojs

Reaction score
Klimt's renditions of Judith and Athena are extremely famous too; he's not a one-trick pony nor is he viewed as such by anyone with a general background in art. He's certainly the most famous of the Austrian Art Nouveau triumvirate ahead of Schiele and Kokoschka.

johnapril

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Penthouse in Monaco.

ATM

Reaction score
"You overpaid."
- Thomas Crown

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 92 37.6%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 36.7%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 26 10.6%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 41 16.7%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.5%

Forum statistics

Threads