1. And... we're back. You'll notice that all of your images are back as well, as are our beloved emoticons, including the infamous :foo: We have also worked with our server folks and developers to fix the issues that were slowing down the site.

There is still work to be done - the images in existing sigs are not yet linked, for example, and we are working on a way to get the images to load faster - which will improve the performance of the site, especially on the pages with a ton of images, and we will continue to work diligently on that and keep you updated.

Cheers,

Fok on behalf of the entire Styleforum team
    Dismiss Notice

Klimt for $135 million.

Discussion in 'Entertainment, Culture, and Sports' started by LabelKing, Jun 19, 2006.

1. skalogre

skalogre Senior member

What do you consider pedestrian about the Kiss? Like him or not (I like him, but not enough to pay for that), I can hardly see calling any Klimt work pedestrian, since he's one of the very few artists that you can look at just about any noteworthy painting he's done and immediately identify it as distinctly his.

Let me rephrase this. He does indeed have an identifiable style, however I think the upper echelons of art in which his works are often placed are not the correct fit. As is that price [​IMG] . This is a matter of perception partially, I understand that, I am not a fan of those works of his that are commonly touted as his masterpieces. I really think however that in his portfolio he has other more interesting works that do deserve lavish attention. I am at work right now, my wife has a few books on his art that show some of the more interesting pieces.

2. SGladwell

SGladwell Senior member

Yeah, I mean a Van Gogh I could understand, but this? No.

I'd rather have this painting than (or any number of other Klimit or Schiele works) than anything van Gogh did, so I understand it just fine.

And yes, much of the "paint" on it is solid gold.

3. ATM

ATM Senior member

I'd say Lauder was ripped off but, hey, he's got enough money to get afford getting ripped off...
    I'm sure he's enjoying the publicity and probably considers it part of what his money bought.

4. mnemonic

mnemonic Senior member

personally i like schiele better than klimt, but i admire the decandent/disturbing/mosaic quality of klimt.

5. imageWIS

imageWIS Senior member

I'd rather have this painting than (or any number of other Klimit or Schiele works) than anything van Gogh did, so I understand it just fine.

And yes, much of the "paint" on it is solid gold.

Have you seen a van Gogh in person? Or even better: a Rembrandt!

Jon.

6. SGladwell

SGladwell Senior member

Have you seen a van Gogh in person? Or even better: a Rembrandt!
    Obviously. I'm not some untraveled and uncultured rube, you know. I just much prefer the aesthetic of the Wiener Jugendstil, and from a historian's perspective I can think of no other time or place that fascinates me more than fin de siècle/prewar K-u-K Vienna. You owe it to yourself to take a flight up to NYC and view this fantastic painting for yourself at the Neue Gallarie once it's installed.

7. LabelKing

LabelKing Senior member

I'm pulling a Thomas Crown on this one:

[​IMG]

8. stach

stach Senior member

Is that a Bacon?

9. imageWIS

imageWIS Senior member

Obviously. I'm not some untraveled and uncultured rube, you know.

I just much prefer the aesthetic of the Wiener Jugendstil, and from a historian's perspective I can think of no other time or place that fascinates me more than fin de siècle/prewar K-u-K Vienna.

You owe it to yourself to take a flight up to NYC and view this fantastic painting for yourself at the Neue Gallarie once it's installed.

I've been wanting to go to NYC for a while now, but ever time I seem to be ready to go, I go somewhere else instead.

I never said you were uncultured on un-traveled, I merely asked a yes / no question.

Jon.

10. Lucky Strike

Lucky Strike Senior member

Is that a Bacon?
    Otto Dix

11. LabelKing

LabelKing Senior member

Is that a Bacon?
    The Portrait of Journalist Sylvia von Harden by Otto Dix.

12. bryce330

bryce330 Senior member

I like the painting but the price does seem shockingly high, considering that most Van Goghs only go for about 40-50 million (although I think there was one a few years ago that went for $80 mill) and the last Vermeer to come on the market sold for only $30 million.

Then again, it's hard to say any work of art is "overpriced" since it is worth whatever someone is willing to pay for it. According to one of the articles I read, there were other parties who were prepared to pay even more but the family felt that the Neue Galerie would be the perfect place for the painting.

13. stach

stach Senior member

It's also a sad commentary on the value of the dollar plus too few prople all coveting the same kind of object.

14. designprofessor

designprofessor Senior member

Mucha, Victor Horta, Galle and Majorelle, Behrens