• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Kiton- what is really inside, lots of pics.

Manton

RINO
Reaction score
Originally Posted by the truth
Is that not what this picture is?

Forgot that one. Yes, that's what it is. Game Over.

dopey

Stylish Dinosaur
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
. . . the Dope: That is the picture of the bottom edge of the half back lining. Looking from the top it shows what appears to be pickstitching on the edges, but when turned over, it seems that even this was done by machine. Important for construction? No, but disconcerting none the less. Perhaps after I celebrate a bit of independence I will try to see if some of the other lining pickstitching is also done by machine.
No one will believe me, because I am only saying it now, but I never thought the pick stitching on the lining looked hand done. I kept my mouth shut because I don't think myself a great judge of these things, specially without being able to touch or tug at the stitches. I do know that ity looks nothing like the hand stitching that closes my Dege linings (though Dege does use machine sewing in other parts).

AlanC

Minister of Trad
Reaction score
Will the tear stains dry clean out on the glut of Kiton I'm expecting to see thrifting in the next few weeks?

Zegnamtl

Reaction score
manton, so we are on the same page here. Collar is machine padded and then sewn on by hand. The machine padded lapel is number one, it starts at the left end of the jacket and ends under the tape about where the number 5 is. 5 being the tape for the seam joining the canvas chest piece, nuber 2. Which has a small chest pad sewn to it, number 3 Which has a should pad sewn to it, number 4 The way the picture is shot, it is hard to tell what exactly the story is behind the detail in the lower RIGHT, a wider shot is need to of this. Do we agree on step one?
cutawayxwz4.jpg

the truth

Reaction score
Lower left below number 1 is just the background. As the lapel is dagonal, the space below it increases. If you can be more specific, I will take the picture. Do you want a picture of how the machine stitched canvas attaches to the lapel at the edge?

Good diagram by the way.

Zegnamtl

Reaction score
Lower left below number 1 is just the background. As the lapel is dagonal, the space below it increases. If you can be more specific, I will take the picture. Do you want a picture of how the machine stitched canvas attaches to the lapel at the edge? Good diagram by the way.
No, you will destroy your jacket! The lapel (number 1) and the canvass (number 2) are sewn together under that tape (number 5) that runs the length of the canvass, I fear the jacket will be scrap or very expensive to repair once lifted. I am willing to put money that it is basted in and then as we see, sewn by machine. I really am not insulted that a sewing machine may used to attach this, it is the cleanliness and softness of the work attaching it that counts more.

Manton

RINO
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Zegnamtl
No, you will destroy your jacket!

Umm, that ship has sailed ...

the truth

Reaction score
Originally Posted by Manton
Umm, that ship has sailed ...
+1. This jacket will not be repaired. Think of it as one of the corpses they use for medical students.

HenryLiska

Reaction score
Originally Posted by Manton
Not to my knowledge, but others have claimed it on their behalf, and gotten quite upset when challenged.

I like the fabric, BTW. You'd think a guy with green dress boots would be more open-minded.

My tailor, Jean-Paul, in Toronto has had the opportunity to alter a fair number of Kiton jackets and suits. From his comment, it is eveident he has not always been happy with the quality of the interior workmanship.

amerikajinda

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I miss this thread!

dpw

Reaction score
zegnamtl: thank you for a thoughtful, well researched, well written response. Looking for adgends is always an illuminating and rewarding experience

yanagi

Reaction score
lol way to go... replying to a thread from 2008 with emojis... actually an interesting thread unfortunately can't see the pics anymore

If you're OCD like me, right click the broken images and select "Copy image address" (or equivalent). Paste it into the Wayback Machine and at least some the images will show up:

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 92 37.6%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 36.7%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 26 10.6%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 41 16.7%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.5%

Forum statistics

Threads