Kiton- what is really inside, lots of pics.

Discussion in 'Classic Menswear' started by the truth, Jul 2, 2007.

1. Manton

Manton RINO Dubiously Honored

The denial here is beginning to reach Beamanesque levels.

2. Brad

Brad Senior member

Yes. The OP can't show the label for "personal reasons". Also note the use of a rubber glove instead of a real hand, kind of throws of the scale.

I'm not saying the OP is a liar...OK I am, I just don't know what the OP is lying about and why.

If you've worn a Kiton cashmere coat, then you know the label is the real deal. Also, I can't imagine the work it would take to counterfeit "Kiton" embossed bemberg. You guys need to let the dream go.

3. Omegablogger

Omegablogger Senior member

If you've worn a Kiton cashmere coat

Worn, I've never even seen one nor had I heard of Kiton before stumbling upon this place and losing what was left of my pathetic life.

Still, OP can't show the label for "personal reasons", WTF. I have no idea what this thread is about half the time, but think it somewhat of a stretch to denigrate an entire brand on the basis of a poster so unhinged that to show a label would cause them issues.

With that I shall bow out and continue to skool the young rascals in SWD.

4. Cantabrigian

Cantabrigian Senior member

He can be a disgruntled employee Kiton employee for all I care.

So far, no one has questioned the authenticity of the photos or that this is, in fact, a Kiton jacket and representative of Kiton jackets generally.

5. Brad

Brad Senior member

Worn, I've never even seen one nor had I heard of Kiton before stumbling upon this place and losing what was left of my pathetic life.

Still, OP can't show the label for "personal reasons", WTF. I have no idea what this thread is about half the time, but think it somewhat of a stretch to denigrate an entire brand on the basis of a poster so unhinged that to show a label would cause them issues.

With that I shall bow out and continue to skool the young rascals in SWD.

I don't know, maybe the guy's name is near the label for some reason. I don't think people are denigrating the entire brand. The way I see it is that it was just a little tutorial on the guts of a Kiton jacket, no more, no less.

6. Dragon

Dragon Senior member

I don't know, maybe the guy's name is near the label for some reason. I don't think people are denigrating the entire brand. The way I see it is that it was just a little tutorial on the guts of a Kiton jacket, no more, no less.

Yes. That`s what I assumed PERSONAL REASON meant too (that he had his name written on the label).

I don`t own any Kiton jackets, but have seen 2nd tier jackets sold in the store with that Cashmere tab. I don`t remember exactly if they used the same lining that says Kiton Napoli all over it.

The only reason I found out it was a 2nd tier jacket was because I asked about the hangar that only had K! mark instead of the full Kiton, and the store manager informed me that it was the 2nd tier line which was mostly machine made with hand finishing.

Again, I was just asking out of curiosity and not trying to take away anything from the OP who had created an interesting thread and took time to tear apart an expensive jacket and share the photos for our entertainment. [​IMG]

7. A Y

A Y Senior member

Just remember that if it is a display jacket to show the work, it will look nothing like the real thing. The ones at the Brioni store look like the finest 100% handmade jacket in the world. I imagine that a full opening would not show that to be true.

Interesting. The Zegna ones I've seen look exactly like what they are, perhaps tidied up a bit for display: machine padded canvas, handstitching in only some places, and machine-sewn in others. But I doubt many of their customers could tell the difference.

--Andre

8. imageWIS

imageWIS Senior member

Yes. That`s what I assumed PERSONAL REASON meant too (that he had his name written on the label).

I don`t own any Kiton jackets, but have seen 2nd tier jackets sold in the store with that Cashmere tab. I don`t remember exactly if they used the same lining that says Kiton Napoli all over it.

The only reason I found out it was a 2nd tier jacket was because I asked about the hangar that only had K! mark instead of the full Kiton, and the store manager informed me that it was the 2nd tier line which was mostly machine made with hand finishing.

Again, I was just asking out of curiosity and not trying to take away anything from the OP who had created an interesting thread and took time to tear apart an expensive jacket and share the photos for our entertainment. [​IMG]

Kiton has 2nd tier clothing? Since when? I've never heard that in my life. Not from Trillion in Palm Beach, nor any other store that carries Kiton (including LB). Why would Kiton lower their image with a 2nd tier category? Sorry, but unless you have proof, I smell bullshit.

Jon.

9. mafoofan

mafoofan THE FOO Dubiously Honored

Why would Kiton lower their image with a 2nd tier category? Sorry, but unless you have proof, I smell bullshit.

Jon.

No need to be so harsh; Kiton does in fact have more than one line of clothing. The "K" line is Kiton's less expensive sportswear brand. You used to be able to find it at Louis Boston; I'm not sure if you still can.

10. Dragon

Dragon Senior member

Kiton has 2nd tier clothing?

Apparently they do.

I have no idea.

You`ve never heard that in your life. So?

How am I supposed to know. I don`t work for their marketing department.

I have no proof. All I said was that I tried on some garments in a Kiton store, noticed the hangar marking looked a little different, asked the manager, and he said it was a 2nd tier jacket.

Simple as that. If you smell bullshit in that story, you must have a bad nose or smelling the tone of your own post.

Jon.[/quote]

11. zjpj83

zjpj83 Senior member

Kiton DOES have a "K" line. It is their sportier, more casual line. I do not know that it is less well made, but the line is more set aside for stylistic reasons than for construction.

12. Omegablogger

Omegablogger Senior member

13. tbone226

tbone226 Senior member

Kiton does have a "K" line which is their sportswear line. These pop up on ebay every now and then.

14. mafoofan

Kiton DOES have a "K" line. It is their sportier, more casual line. I do not know that it is less well made, but the line is more set aside for stylistic reasons than for construction.

The "K." brand (apparently, it has a period after 'K') is significantly less expensive than Kiton's regular line. I casually examined a cashmere overcoat with a nylon vest liner at Louis Boston a few years ago; there was no evidence of hand-sewing anywhere and it was about $1,500. The nature and cost of the garments pretty much dictate machine-sewing.

15. mafoofan

Perhaps of interest: http://www.kiton.it/kitita/indexg.htm. Go to 'Produzione'. Then go to 'Uomo'. Then hit 'Cancel' when you're asked for a username and password. You should be able to click on the various video links.

These are Kiton's own videos of what it claims to be its production process. I haven't finished watching them, so I don't know how they bear on the OP's photos.

EDIT: in the fifth video, you can plainly see the completed machine stitching on the lapel that appears identical to the machine stitching in the OP's jacket as another part of the jacket is being hand-stitched.