Kiton- what is really inside, lots of pics.

Discussion in 'Classic Menswear' started by the truth, Jul 2, 2007.

1. the truth

the truth Senior member

There is tons of talk around here about the difference between the various high end suit makers found in upscale department stores. Luckily for everybody, I had an old Kiton jacket sitting around which I was willing to sacrifice for the good of the team. What I found inside may be considered shocking. Lets have a look. First, the lining and Cashmere tag clearly mark this coat as Kiton: [​IMG] Opening up the jacket from the body side to get a good look: [​IMG] First look inside is of the way the various internal layers like canvas and felt are stitched together. Note that these are all clearly machine stitches: [​IMG] Connection of these “guts” to lining and body fabric also machine done: [​IMG] A reverse side view shows the same stitching on the canvas side: [​IMG] Here is the big boy. This picture with the jacket virtually filleted shows that all of the canvas work, that work which is the guts, the roll, the collar, is done by machine: [​IMG] Now, if all of this is done by machine, what is done by hand? The collar, while not hand padded is attached to the coat by hand: [​IMG] Beautifully handmade buttonholes: [​IMG] All edge and pick stitching by hand: [​IMG] Sleeve attachment sewn by hand: [​IMG] I have never owned an Attolini, Brioni, Zegna or Borrelli jacket so I can’t say how it compares. I hope you found my pictures interesting.

2. johnapril

johnapril Senior member

All it says to me is Kiton uses some piss ugly fabric on some of its sportcoats. Do they claim to attach all the guts together by hand?

3. Willsw

Willsw Senior member

Reading styleforum first makes you buy clothes...and then makes you destroy them!

4. josepidal

josepidal Senior member

Wow. Welcome to SF.

5. Manton

Manton RINO Dubiously Honored

Do they claim to attach all the guts together by hand?

Not to my knowledge, but others have claimed it on their behalf, and gotten quite upset when challenged.

I like the fabric, BTW. You'd think a guy with green dress boots would be more open-minded.

6. Leslierc

Leslierc Senior member

Fascinating! I just purchased my very first Kiton blazer - 45% cashmere/55% linen - and I must admit that the fit is incredible, like nothing else that I own (RLPL, Oxxford, Armani, Canali, Corneliani, Hugo Boss, Valentino, Pal Ziliri). Thank you very much for that sacrifice and "valuable" education!

7. edmorel

edmorel Quality Seller!! Dubiously Honored

This was almost as fascinating as the Spice Girls reunion tour news.

8. RJman

RJman Posse Member Dubiously Honored

Ed, your avatar isn't fooling anybody.

9. WSW

WSW Senior member

Wow. Welcome to SF.

I don't think he's (or she's?[​IMG])new.

10. the truth

the truth Senior member

All it says to me is Kiton uses some piss ugly fabric on some of its sportcoats. Do they claim to attach all the guts together by hand?
    I do not know that they do, but they do claim to make a handmade jacket which apparently consists of buttonholes, pickstitching and attaching the collar and sleeves by hand. With this being true, what is the difference between them and most of the other fully canvassed with a little handwork makers? Fabric?

11. edmorel

edmorel Quality Seller!! Dubiously Honored

I do not know that they do, but they do claim to make a handmade jacket which apparently consists of buttonholes, pickstitching and attaching the collar and sleeves by hand. With this being true, what is the difference between them and most of the other fully canvassed with a little handwork makers? Fabric?

Exactly, I mean that is my point about the Spice Girls also. What is truly the difference between the Rolling Stones or Springsteen and the Spice Girls??

12. WSW

WSW Senior member

Well, Mr. Truth, I'm glad you decided to sacrifice your jacket for the good of the forum. This is real evidence that has really dispelled some myths.

13. Manton

Manton RINO Dubiously Honored

With this being true, what is the difference between them and most of the other fully canvassed with a little handwork makers? Fabric?

Well, pattern cutting for one thing. They have their own block pattern system, like every maker does, and it results in a unique look, which I suppose one likes or does not like, but which is nonetheless proprietary.

Also, the type, amount, distribution, and quality of the canvass and padding will effect how the garment looks, wears and feels.

I don't deny that Oxxford is better made, but I would still rather wear Kiton.

14. zjpj83

zjpj83 Senior member

KiToN lvrs = pwned

15. zjpj83

zjpj83 Senior member

I don't deny that Oxxford is better made, but I would still rather wear Kiton.

Me too, actually.