• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Kiton - Update in the US

Gus

Stylish Dinosaur
Dubiously Honored
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I ran into a rep for Kiton the other day who I have known for several years. I asked him how things were going now that they are doing more marketing and in-store build-outs in the last few years. The following are his comments:

-their Sales are beating 2008
-ten years ago the average Kiton customer was 60 years old. Now it is 30.
-When the recession hit, customers stopped buying, not because they didn't have money but because it didn't look good to be wearing new suits, etc.. But now the feeling is that it is OK to buy.
-They have young customers who are dressing up for the first time and want to look their best. He had a guy who was 28 buy seven MTM, three piece suits from him last.
-Musicians dressing up in suits have influenced the sporting world. Guys are seeing these high profile people wearing nice suits more often and now more regular guys want that look.
-A number of their older clients who are senior partners in firms are coming in saying that the younger guys are making fun of them for having old, out dated looks and fitting suits. They are buying to look current.
-Not everyone wants "flash". He has many clients who still want to be subtle. One recently had a number of $12K suits made up with no Kiton Label and no Kiton branded lining.

Roy

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
12k suits... Why not go bespoke? It's just Kiton.

Gus

Stylish Dinosaur
Dubiously Honored
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Roy
12k suits... Why not go bespoke? It's just Kiton.

There are guys who find going into a Neimans or Bergdorf easy and convenient. Then there are those who may not even know where to start in finding a good tailor. To them, bespoke is not even an option.

coolpapa

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by pocketsquareguy
There are guys who find going into a Neimans or Bergdorf easy and convenient. Then there are those who may not even know where to start in finding a good tailor. To them, bespoke is not even an option.
I agree. Most who buy Kiton et al, do so because they are unaware of range of options available to them, and/or don't have the knowledge interest or time to go bespoke.

Mr. Moo

Boxercise Toughguy
Reaction score
Kiton = 1 hour purchase. Bespoke = 3-6 months. Some people want to have a nice suit by the time they are seated for dinner that night.

cmacey

Reaction score
Originally Posted by Mr. Moo
Kiton = 1 hour purchase. Bespoke = 3-6 months. Some people want to have a nice suit by the time they are seated for dinner that night.

For the price of some of their offerings, "A fool and his money will soon part!"

Roy

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
But still... Kiton is offered at quite a few outlets for 3k / 4k euro. Why spend 12????

LA Guy

Opposite Santa
Admin
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Roy
But still... Kiton is offered at quite a few outlets for 3k / 4k euro. Why spend 12????

The average offering is about $6.5K these days. I expect that there is an upcharge for better materials, notions, trims, etc... Some people just want a really nice suit. They are not sport shoppers like us, and they can better afford to spend the money than they can afford the effort and time needed to find a better deal.

Roy

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by LA Guy
The average offering is about $6.5K these days. I expect that there is an upcharge for better materials, notions, trims, etc... Some people just want a really nice suit. They are not sport shoppers like us, and they can better afford to spend the money than they can afford the effort and time needed to find a better deal.
Seriously, is it that expensive in the US? I was talking about retail prices.

LA Guy

Opposite Santa
Admin
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Roy
Seriously, is it that expensive in the US? I was talking about retail prices.

I looked in Mario's (Seattle) a few months ago, and didn't see a sportsjacket under $3K, or a suit under $5K. Hmmm... wait. Might have been Attolini (they carry both). Anyway, same pricepoints.

G

Griffindork

There are lots of reasons to go with Kiton rather than a similarly priced bespoke garment. Silhouette and fabric selection are the two most obvious.
A

Grenadier

Reaction score
The OP seemed to indicate that lots of these purchases are MTM, which many people might think is bespoke. Certainly, one would be very well-dressed in a Kiton MTM suit, even if one didn't have three fittings on the Row...

JakeLA

Reaction score
Anyone who spends 12 grand for a suit should be killed and their assets given to charity.

thatguymj

Reaction score
Originally Posted by LA Guy

This.

The average Kiton OTR is about 6-7k. If you want a custom suit made for you it can run anywhere from around 7k all the way up to 20k+.

I recently consulted in a shop that sold them and the type of folks that purchase a suit at that level didn't seem overly concerned with the cost, but rather the cut/fabric/look of the suit.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 89 37.7%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 88 37.3%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 25 10.6%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 38 16.1%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 37 15.7%

Forum statistics

Threads