Kiton shoe sizing, can anyone give me some details?

Discussion in 'Classic Menswear' started by GQgeek, Aug 12, 2006.

1. GQgeek

GQgeek Senior member

I'm a 9D in ferragamo, an 8 in Canali, 9.5 Mantellassi, and 9 Magli.

So would a kiton shoe marked 9 fit? Anyone know? I'm not really sure how to measure them to compare to existing shoes and doubt it would be accurate anyway. I thought i read somewhere that kiton is basically a US size smaller than what's stamped on the shoe...

And what size should I order the c&j weymouth in? 8 or 8.5? Can anyone hazard a guess based on the info I've given?

2. von Rothbart

von Rothbart Senior member

So would a kiton shoe marked 9 fit?

American 10D.

3. GQgeek

GQgeek Senior member

damn. I was so ready to buy them too [​IMG]

4. kitonbrioni

kitonbrioni Senior member

I tried on several Kiton shoes at NM this week and all did seem to be a size or more bigger than the marked size.

5. Roger

Roger Senior member

damn. I was so ready to buy them too [​IMG]
    Don't give up yet! My experience in researching Kiton shoes is that they may have a size stamped on them that is more than one size smaller than the actual US size. I once almost bought a pair that were marked 8. After getting extensive measurements, inside and out, from the seller, I had to conclude that they would have been marked 9.5 US. Your best bet is to ask the seller for outside length of sole and width at widest part, and a careful measurement of the insole with a tape measure to the nearest 1/8". Then examine the toe taper to see whether there would be much empty space at the toe because of taper (as with the C&J 337 last). If, after this, they seem about right, make sure you have full return privileges (where you'd pay the return postage, of course).

As for the Weymouth, I'd try to figure out what size you are in US sizing, and then make a slightly greater adjustment than you would for most English shoes. For example, I'm a true 9.5 US. Most of my English shoes are 9 UK, but those with a long last and tapered toe are 8.5 UK (C&J 337 last, JLobb 7000 last). The ultimate test, of course, is trying them on, and if you buy your Weymouths from P. Lal, for example, I believe that you would be allowed full return privileges.

Edit: I just re-read the original question, and think that your assumption about Kiton sizing may be in the wrong direction. Kiton shoes are at least one size larger in US sizing than what's stamped on them. Therefore, a Kiton shoe stamped 9 would, in all likelihood be equivalent to a US 10, at least, and, more likely, a 10.5, if my experience is any guide.

6. josepidal

josepidal Senior member

So from your last statement, a Kiton 9 would likely fit a guy who fits into a C&J Weymouth size 10 (in the 337 last)?

7. whnay.

whnay. Senior member Dubiously Honored

I wear a size and a half down, for what its worth.

8. pkincy

pkincy Senior member

So from your last statement, a Kiton 9 would likely fit a guy who fits into a C&J Weymouth size 10 (in the 337 last)?

I have a pair of Weymouth in UK 8.5E. I wear 9D in all US sized shoes to include Polo C&Js and EGs. I tried on a number of Kitons last month at NM in SF. The best fit for me was Kiton size 7.5! So a full size under UK sizing and a size and a half under US sizing.

Perry

9. willie

willie Member

I wear an American size 10D: size 9 in Kiton.

10. lutfa

lutfa Senior member

The kiton last G-26 can run two sizes smaller than your normal shoe size. Example I wear a size 11 kiton G 26 I buy a size 9 perfect fit. The last 19040 the narrow toe cut I wear a size 10. Hope it helps.

11. edmorel

edmorel Quality Seller!! Dubiously Honored

I'm a US 10.5 and 9 Kiton fits me perfectly. If you are talking about the brown captoes on ebay, I was going to buy those also but that is a shoe that so many makers make, some looking better than the Kiton, that for 5 hundy, I passed.

12. Ambulance Chaser

Ambulance Chaser Senior member

I agree with the posts that recommend sizing 1.5 sizes down from your normal U.S. size for Kiton.

I wear size 9.5 in Mantellassi and size UK8.5E in the C&J 337 last. There is tiny bit of slippage, but size UK8E would be too small.

13. aportnoy

aportnoy Senior member Dubiously Honored

but that is a shoe that so many makers make, some looking better than the Kiton, that for 5 hundy, I passed.

I have underwhelmed by the spate of Kiton's available on Ebay as they seem to pale in comparison to those that I've seen at the NY store, Bergdorf's and in many of our members photo postings. They seem to be on okay lasts and to lack any of that wonderful antiquing. Just my opinion, though.

14. lutfa

lutfa Senior member

I questioned those shoes on ebay also .Every time I emailed them they werevery avasive in there responce if any at all.I'm wondering if they are kiton subs.

15. Leaveitothexperts

Leaveitothexperts Senior member

I tried on several Kiton shoes at NM this week and all did seem to be a size or more bigger than the marked size.

I second that.

A few weeks back I passed by the Kiton store in the city and tried on several pairs. I am a 9D in most US shoes, occassionally a 9.5D.

I thought an 8 in Kiton would fit but it was too large. I realized that a 7 was my size in Kitons!