1. Hi. We moved systems, and because it was impossible to achieve feature parity between the systems, we opted to archive the old B&S threads but allow users to read them so that they can put them into our new B&S system.

There is a support thread if you have any issues.

Cheers,

Fok.

Dismiss Notice

STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Kiton, santoni, etc. up for auction

Discussion in 'B&S Archive' started by naturlaut, Aug 22, 2004.

1. naturlaut

naturlaut Senior member

Leaving for a trip soon, so want to clean out my eBay items. Â Here they are: Naturlaut's auctions Free shipping to all members. Â Feel free to make me offers. Naturlaut p/s,. BTW, did you guys see this?

2. jcusey

jcusey Senior member Dubiously Honored

Yes, I saw it. I was following that auction because I was interested in the magazine. I started shaking my head when the price reached $40 and nearly fainted when I saw the final price. I certainly hope that you have a few more -- you could make yourself quite a bit of money.

3. A Harris

A Harris Senior member Dubiously Honored

I was actually willing to pay a pretty penny for that, but it got really insane...

Congrats. And please find more.

4. naturlaut

naturlaut Senior member

I had a good idea that it will sell, but not like that, though I am not complaining. I just came back from Japan (helped Jun K. catalog his Greens [​IMG] ) and the shoe market is just jaw dropping. This magazine is so rare that it's not even in regular magazine stores or book stores (like Kinokuniya). I will post some pictures on the forum later if you are interested. I think the "history of Green lasts" is amazing, as well as comparisons of Lobb lasts and of course, basically a mini-catalog of all the shoe makers you know or you don't know.

5. MikeF

MikeF Senior member

Naturalut: how true to size are those Santonis? By way of comparison, EGs on a 606 last in UK size 10.5 fit me about half a size too big. Will the Santonis in 10 fit? Or are they a true 11?

6. naturlaut

naturlaut Senior member

Someone just asked me more or less the same question. In my opinion, they fit like EG's 89 of the same size. So if EG's 10.5 is half size too big, then these Santoni 10 should be just fine.

7. MikeF

MikeF Senior member

That brings me to another question, I suppose: is there any room to move on the price?

And how do these compare to the Sutor Mantellassis up on yoox right now for about US$300?

8. naturlaut

naturlaut Senior member

The Mantellassi on Yoox are those with sewn-on label, meaning, the lower line. The better line of Mantellassi that could compare to this line of Santoni would be the ones with the Mantellassi signature. In my opinion, those on Yoox are not quite worth the $300 they are asking. You could get better deals during Saks or BG's sales.

I will PM you on the price.

Naturlaut

9. jcusey

Am I correct in thinking that these Mantellassis are Blake-constructed, rather than the welted (Goodyear or Norwegian) shoes that bear the handwritten Mantellassi label?

10. jcusey

Well, that means you have me bracketed. 9.5 would be good for me. Oh, well. I didn't want black shoes anyway.

11. banksmiranda

banksmiranda Senior member

Anyone notice that the Mens Ex shoe magazine lists "New and Lingwood" as "New and Ringwood" on the cover?

12. Alias

Alias Senior member

Ha ha, yeah, they do this in South Korea sometimes also. Instead of "musical" they'll type "musicar." And this was in the Korea GQ, no less.

13. BjornH

BjornH Senior member

Yes - this always makes me snicker a little. In this region it seems that L and R are easly confused, as strange as it seems to me. I remember a lounge singer in Thailand singing about "The gleen gleen glass of home" and it stuck with me.

B

14. FCS

FCS Senior member

In general, Chinese have hard time pronouncing R (flied lice anybody?) while Japanese have difficulties with L (farring in rove with you).

15. faustian bargain

faustian bargain Senior member

"The pearr is in the liver" -Under the Rainbow, 1981