• I'm happy to introduce the Styleforum Happy Hour, our brand new podcast featuring lively discussion about menswear and the fashion industry. In the inaugural edition, a discussion of what's going on in retail today. Please check it out on the Journal. All episodes will be also be available soon on your favorite podcast platform.

• STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Kiton Overcoat: Thoughts?

Lawman231

Reaction score
I’m a member from WAY back, and I’m coming out of retirement. Good to be back. I’m considering this Kiton overcoat for winter wear to court, depositions, etc. I have a black Canali cashmere overcoat and this would figure in the rotation. What do you guys think? Not sure I’m sold on it. It’s 95.% cashmere 10% silk. Thanks, gentlemen.

Mark
51387943-CD7D-499A-998B-2122E0581EA7.png

Lawman231

Reaction score
I’m a member from WAY back, and I’m coming out of retirement. Good to be back. I’m considering this Kiton overcoat for winter wear to court, depositions, etc. I have a black Canali cashmere overcoat and this would figure in the rotation. What do you guys think? Not sure I’m sold on it. It’s 95.% cashmere 10% silk. Thanks, gentlemen.

MarkView attachment 1290263
Doh! 95% cashmere, 5% silk. Math never was my strong suit.

comrade

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
It should be worn with a Borsolino like this:

tigerpac

Reaction score
I don't love the pockets, they seem out of place with the rest of the coat. Notwithstanding, it is very nice, but I'm guessing you could have something of equivalent quality made for you for less.

Lawman231

Reaction score
I have two such Borsalinos awaiting assignment!
6B34617B-16F1-488E-B567-D9B1BBBF2A54.jpeg

I don't love the pockets, they seem out of place with the rest of the coat. Notwithstanding, it is very nice, but I'm guessing you could have something of equivalent quality made for you for less.
true. I’m actually weighing it against a D’Avenza cashmere coat that can be had at one-fifth the price.

moltoelegante

Reaction score
The suit itself looks very nice overall but that doesn't matter if it doesn't fit you very well. For that price, it should be a great fit.

I personally don't love the pocket design but that's a very subjective matter.

dieworkwear

Mahatma Jawndi
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
It seems nice. The fabric seems a little thin for an overcoat, but it's hard to tell in a photograph.

If it were me, I would prefer something in a solid color, or a different check, but I don't think this one looks bad.

Also, while I'm not one to say bespoke is always better than RTW, depending on the price of this coat, since it's Kiton, it may be worth thinking about other options.

papado

Reaction score
I’m weighing the Kiton against this Cucinelli, which is much more conventional.
I actually can't stand those patch pockets on a single breasted overcoat, more so than the ones on the Kiton. If you're going to checkout shopthefinest (your pic of cucinelli coat is from there) I would take a look at the Borelli options. They can be had in some solid colors/patterns and should be what you're looking for.

Lawman231

Reaction score
I actually can't stand those patch pockets on a single breasted overcoat, more so than the ones on the Kiton. If you're going to checkout shopthefinest (your pic of cucinelli coat is from there) I would take a look at the Borelli options. They can be had in some solid colors/patterns and should be what you're looking for.
Thanks so much for the input. I’ve decided against the Kiton. I love the Cucinelli, but it’s pricey. I’ll check out the Borrellis

papado

Reaction score
Thanks so much for the input. I’ve decided against the Kiton. I love the Cucinelli, but it’s pricey. I’ll check out the Borrellis
There are also a couple eBay sellers (new old stock/overstock dealers; not used) which offer return policies and I've had good experiences with if you're looking for some more reasonably priced ones. Depending on your size there are some really good picks out there!

Styleforum is proudly sponsored by

Featured Sponsor

How many pairs of shoes do you own?

• 1 - 4

Votes: 32 3.8%
  • 5 - 10

Votes: 144 17.1%
  • 11 - 20

Votes: 279 33.1%
  • 21 - 30

Votes: 132 15.7%
  • 31 - 40