• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Kiton Borrelli,Attolini RTW vs: Savile Row

Fashionslave

Reaction score
Gentlemen of the board-I've been wondering? Is the investment of a $4200. suit from Naples finest tailoring houses(Kiton Attolini or Borrelli) justified when one can spend about the same money for a masterpiece in tailoring from one of Savile Row's finest(Huntsman,A&S,Darren)? Despite fabulous build quality and painstaking detail,don't these somehow fall short?Conversely,I think England's best RTW,Chester Barrie,while excellent, does not stand up to the aforementioned.On the other hand,ther'es nothing like Savile Row in Naples,other than the odd brilliant individual tailor who doen't care about business expansion/self promotion.We don't really even know who these guys are.What are your thoughts?

imageWIS

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
$2400 for Attolini? $2400 for Kiton? $2400 for Huntsman? For A&S? Since when? $2400 won't even get you a Hong Kong made Kilgour.

Where are you getting your prices from? Second of all, are you looking for RTW or bespoke, because the two are not interchangeable.

Jon.

Manton

RINO
Reaction score
So many thoughts, so little time.  The Naples RTW brands you mention will have better, smaller, prettier, more precise handwork than even the best SR garment.  But the fit of a RTW garment will never be as precise as bespoke, and the silhouette will never be as subtly molded to your body.

There are big-time, big-name, Savile Row-type tailoring firms in Naples.  The most famous is London House (Rubinacci).  Cesare Attolini got his start there.

Manton

RINO
Reaction score
Right now, from memory, these are the floor prices for a two-piece, full bespoke suit from the Big Five (all prices quoted in GBP):

Huntsman: 3,000
Gieves: 2,750
Kilgour: 2,450
Poole: 2,000
Anderson & Sheppard: 2,000.

zjpj83

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
When I'm firmly into 4 figures, I would never buy RTW. In fact, I'm pretyt firmly set against RTW altogether. Fit is most important to me. I suit with spectacular construction looks horrible if it doesn't fit. I just see no real reason to buy many RTW clothes anymore. And with so many cheaper custom alternatives these days, I think nobody else should either. Unless RTW fits you perfectly, I think you should have something made that does.

Manton

RINO
Reaction score
The floor prices (from memory) of some of the off-row, "itinerant" tailors:

Mahon: 1,610
Hitchcock: 1,530
Steed (DeBois): 1,450
Beaman: 1,250

Renault78law

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
To answer your original question, I think the answer is no. The most important considerations when choosing a suit: fit, fit, fit. Construction and materials are ancillary.

And I disagree that you can't easily find a brilliant custom tailor in Naples, or other places in Italy. Just ask, I'm sure forum members can point you in the right direction.

slaavwmr

Reaction score
The floor prices (from memory) of some of the off-row, "itinerant" tailors:

Mahon: 1,610
Hitchcock: 1,530
Steed (DeBois): 1,450
Beaman: 1,250
What is mean by "floor" prices.

Also, is it worth the premium to get the suit from the big 5 as opposed to getting one from an independent.

Alias

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
And I disagree that you can't easily find a brilliant custom tailor in Naples, or other places in Italy. Â Just ask, I'm sure forum members can point you in the right direction.
It will probably involve going off the beaten path, armed with money and a good grasp of the language's local dialect. Can someone please be our guinea pig
sad.gif

Fashionslave

Reaction score
That's an excellent question.Maybe I should have posed the question,"Are we all too label and name conscious"?If a suit is brilliantly tailored ,I guess it doesn't matter who makes it.It boils down to the huge amount of ink these houses get.On the other hand,if you're considering investing,I'd think you'd want the tailor to have a good track record,which all the big names have.

Manton

RINO
Reaction score
"Floor price" means their lowest price: what they charge for the most basic cloths, and for old bolts they have on hand that they're trying to move out the door.

The advantages of going to one of the "little guys" are several. 1) They are cheaper. 2) You get more personal service; your business means more to them, so you are less likely to get lost in the bustle. 3) It's easier to get a really good pattern and develop a long-term relationship. 4)You can take satisfaction from supporting smaller artisans and keeping the trade alive.

slaavwmr

Reaction score
What about trustworthyness? The big names aren't going to run off with your money. Is it not a fear with the independents?

What about quality? Is the difference between a Hunstman and a Darren Beamn so much in quality or is the premium just for the name?

Manton

RINO
Reaction score
I wouldn't worry about off-Row tailors absconding with your money.

The price difference has a lot of factors. Name is one. Also overhead and location. Some see a difference in quality. I think at the top end, Savile Row quality tends to be pretty uniformly high. You are also paying for little esoteric differences in styling and silhouette that you can't get elsewhere, arguably.

uppercase

Reaction score
For the smaller, Italian tailors, you'll have to go to Italy.

I would have no concern about honesty. They are small but are going concerns in their own country, with a local reputation to protect.

But think about the time issue needed for the fittings. If you could combine a vacation to Italy with a bespoke adventure, perhaps you could get your suit done in 7-10 days. What better reason to travel to Italy.

It would be a fantastic adventure to use the detailed tailoring knowledge you have gained in SF translated into a beautiful suit.

Think about it. A vacation to Sorento or Capri with day trips to your Naples tailor...... Wow.

Alexander Kabbaz

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
A Minor Interjection: I was recently asked by a client to similar-ize an old Kiton R-T-W garment he owned. Because of this, I looked closely at the garment's construction. It was not a suit but an 'unconstructed' casual jacket. The quality of construction was disgusting.
mad.gif
Note: Lest you think principles are being compromised here, you all know I shan't comment upon the work of other custom makers in my field. I have no such compunction with R-T-W makers.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 85 37.8%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 86 38.2%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 23 10.2%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 35 15.6%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 36 16.0%

Staff online

Forum statistics