1. And... we're back. You'll notice that all of your images are back as well, as are our beloved emoticons, including the infamous :foo: We have also worked with our server folks and developers to fix the issues that were slowing down the site.

There is still work to be done - the images in existing sigs are not yet linked, for example, and we are working on a way to get the images to load faster - which will improve the performance of the site, especially on the pages with a ton of images, and we will continue to work diligently on that and keep you updated.

Cheers,

Fok on behalf of the entire Styleforum team
    Dismiss Notice

Kitchen Tools

Discussion in 'Social Life, Food & Drink, Travel' started by mgm9128, Dec 29, 2011.

1. idfnl

idfnl Senior member

What is burning them in mean? Is that some kind of process like you'd do with a cast iron skillet?

Ya, I screw up here. Sometimes I don't want to wash a pan and shrug shoulders and crank up the heat on the non-stick.

Storage is a great point. Scratches on non-stick are like cracks in windshields.

2. NOBD

NOBD Senior member

Sorry, might have translated that too literally. I meant seasoning: At 1 min. 31 sec. Mine are almost black now and have a nice non-stick layer. Wash them with hot water (no soap), dry them and oil them, to prevent rust. Heavy, old-school pans.

Last edited: Jan 15, 2013
  3. idfnl

idfnl Senior member

Ok, I get it. Those are like the frying pans they use in restaurants. Interesting option. I like to buy lifetime kitchen stuff.

4. NOBD

NOBD Senior member

Some of mine are older than ten years. And they feel and look as solid as when I bought them.

5. idfnl

idfnl Senior member

I'm going to get one and try it. They look priced between $30 and $75 for 7 up to 14" over here.

6. jjr4884

jjr4884 Senior member

I'm sure you guys have heard of Lodge, yes? Best cast iron for the money. I think my 10 inch skillet cost like... $20 or something like that. Eat your heart out Le Crueset lol

After ever use, let the pan cool, put it under warm water, i have a bristle brush, scrub lightly until surface is clean... wipe dry. Done. Every once in a while i'll put a coat of veggie oil on the inside of the pan.

7. shibbel

shibbel Senior member

Douglas, I'll +2 the EdgePro, I picked one up a several months ago after FG recommended it and it's idiot proof. It'll also sharpen anything you put in it (ie. shears, serrated, double, and single edge knives). Only real maintenance is flattening the stones out once in awhile.

Anyone care to reccomend a juicer? I've been using a Blendtec and cheesecloth thus far, and needless to say, that's getting old.

8. sugarbutch

sugarbutch Senior member Dubiously Honored

9. itsstillmatt

itsstillmatt Senior member Dubiously Honored

The slow juicers are better than the fast juicers in that they don't make the juices oxidize as quickly. Other than that, the brands are basically the same.

1 person likes this.
  10. idfnl

idfnl Senior member

I have a Lodge. Absolutely great value, great stuff. I have a round 10.5" and one of the square ones for corn bread/spoon bread:

[​IMG]

11. b1os

b1os Senior member

We've had a Champion Juicer for about ten years now. Nothing to compare to, but it's doing a great job and seems very solid (commercial). Actually comes from the US, so there you go. Their website looks a little odd.

1 person likes this.
  12. itsstillmatt

For the lice of me I cannot figure out why people use cast iron.

13. b1os

b1os Senior member

Cocotte (but yeah, I wouldn't want to use a non-"emaille'd" cocotte either)!

14. itsstillmatt

Well, you are talking about enameled cast iron, then. Those are great. Regular American campfire cast iron is not.

15. b1os

b1os Senior member

Yeah, I quickly edited it. Not quick enough. ;)

16. idfnl

idfnl Senior member

Its a traditional way of making breads, specifically corn bread.

What makes you say that?

17. itsstillmatt

OK, I don't eat cornbread, so I can't say anything about it.

I dislike cast iron in general because it heats unevenly, responds to temperature change slowly, the seasoning comes off with acidic ingredients, you can't wash it quickly, it's too heavy to maneuver, and probably some other things I can't think of right now. It strikes me as cult cookware rather than functional cookware.

18. idfnl

idfnl Senior member

Its not a pan I'd use for much. They are surprisingly good for French Toast, and before the Panini maker this was it with a weight on top. Its also a good pan to use over an outdoor grill. Southerners use it to make fried chicken.

Cast iron is noted for its heat distribution, so I disagree there. But temperature changes very, very slowly so its easy to burn stuff in and needs attention.

What is it about enameled that doesn't share the complaints you've mentioned above?

19. itsstillmatt

It really doesn't matter what it is known for, what matters is what is true, and the truth is that heat distribution is awful...

http://www.seriouseats.com/2010/02/everything-you-need-to-know-about-cast-iron-cooking.html

An enameled cast iron cocotte doesn't react with acidic ingredients, because the metal is sealed off, doesn't need to be maneuvered because it is specifically for long cooking processes, and because of that the lack of response to temperature change moves from being a negative to a positive, and because most things cooked in them include liquid, the unevenness of the heating doesn't matter so much because water's top temperature functions as a regulator. So basically it has none of the problems of a cast iron skillet.

1 person likes this.
  20. aravenel

aravenel Senior member

Cast iron is indeed very uneven... But I love it anyways. Admittedly purely for sentimental reasons, but I love it nonetheless. I use mine mostly to roast chickens and fry bacon, so the unevenness isn't as big of a deal.

I will say that cast iron is better than just about any other cheap cookware--I'd take cast iron over some paper thin shitty frying pan any day of the week.

Love my Le Creuset Dutch Oven though... That thing gets used a ton.