• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Kitchen Tools

SkinnyGoomba

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
One wet stone is usually not enough, you need a few different grits. The rougher ones to completely restore and edge then the lighter ones to progressively hone it out. I have a set of them from about 400 grit diamond stones all the way up to 10,000 grit japanese wet stones.

I sharpen by hand at the moment, but my brother bought one of those fixtures that holds the blade at a specific angle and they really do create a consistently better edge than doing it by hand. By Hand, even with good experience you'll end up creating a convex edge, which is going to be duller than a flat edge.

Cary Grant

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

I sharpen by hand at the moment, but my brother bought one of those fixtures that holds the blade at a specific angle and they really do create a consistently better edge than doing it by hand. By Hand, even with good experience you'll end up creating a convex edge, which is going to be duller than a flat edge.

Link?

jjr4884

Reaction score
Quote:
Few things I always "stick" to with non-stick. Chemicals and heat aren't good. If you plan on searing, braising, etc... dont' use non-stick. Anything more than medium heat (respectively) is my threshhold point. Also, I always wash with warm water and a little bit of soap. Lastly, rubber/plastic/wood only, no metal utensils on non-stick. I've had some for a couple years and they are in great condition. No dish washer either! Careful on how you store them as well... if you store pots and pans on top of each other, make sure the lid is on upside down and nothing it making contact with the inside of the pan

itsstillmatt

The Liberator
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
I have an Edge Pro as well. I am a good freehand sharpener, and this thing is so much better than I am. It's just so consistent. I can't, by hand, switch between 12 and 15 degrees, but it can, and it is simple to do and fast. I was skeptical because I never had a dull knife problem, but I really do love it. I don't have the upgrade model, just the standard, but I do have upgraded stones from chefknivestogo.com.

itsstillmatt

The Liberator
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
Oh, I use metal utensils in nonstick and crank up the heat when necessary. Never had a problem with longevity and not dead yet. I wouldn't braise in them because that would be kind of weird.

Douglas

Stupid ass member
Spamminator Moderator
Reaction score
Do you use the Pro model or the Apex one?

Or should I say, for a mere mortal for whom money is an object, is there a compelling reason to go Pro vs. Apex?

itsstillmatt

The Liberator
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
I use the Apex. I think there is a reason to upgrade the stones because I find that the regular stones just go too slowly.

Douglas

Stupid ass member
Spamminator Moderator
Reaction score
thanks, seems affordable enough at that level, and perhaps fairly idiot proof.

[piob]as we know, I am not a smart man[/piob]

idfnl

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score

You could try these and make them non-stick yourself by burning them in and using them:

What is burning them in mean? Is that some kind of process like you'd do with a cast iron skillet?

Few things I always "stick" to with non-stick.  Chemicals and heat aren't good.  If you plan on searing, braising, etc... dont' use non-stick.  Anything more than medium heat (respectively) is my threshhold point.  Also, I always wash with warm water and a little bit of soap.  Lastly, rubber/plastic/wood only, no metal utensils on non-stick.  I've had some for a couple years and they are in great condition.  No dish washer either!  Careful on how you store them as well... if you store pots and pans on top of each other, make sure the lid is on upside down and nothing it making contact with the inside of the pan

Ya, I screw up here. Sometimes I don't want to wash a pan and shrug shoulders and crank up the heat on the non-stick.

Storage is a great point. Scratches on non-stick are like cracks in windshields.

NOBD

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

What is burning them in mean? Is that some kind of process like you'd do with a cast iron skillet?
Sorry, might have translated that too literally. I meant seasoning: At 1 min. 31 sec. Mine are almost black now and have a nice non-stick layer. Wash them with hot water (no soap), dry them and oil them, to prevent rust. Heavy, old-school pans.

Last edited:

idfnl

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score

Sorry, might have translated that too literally. I meant seasoning: At 1 min. 31 sec. Mine are almost black now and have a nice non-stick layer. Wash them with hot water (no soap), dry them and oil them, to prevent rust. Heavy, old-school pans.
Ok, I get it. Those are like the frying pans they use in restaurants. Interesting option. I like to buy lifetime kitchen stuff.

Last edited:

NOBD

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Some of mine are older than ten years. And they feel and look as solid as when I bought them.

idfnl

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score

Some of mine are older than ten years. And they feel and look as solid as when I bought them.

I'm going to get one and try it. They look priced between $30 and $75 for 7 up to 14" over here.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 92 37.6%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 36.7%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 26 10.6%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 41 16.7%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.5%

Forum statistics

Threads