• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • We would like to welcome House of Huntington as an official Affiliate Vendor. Shop past season Drake's, Nigel Cabourn, Private White V.C. and other menswear luxury brands at exceptional prices below retail. Please visit the Houise of Huntington thread and welcome them to the forum.

• STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Kitchen Knives

emptym

Reaction score
Some interesting stuff about knife sharpening skills posted by DWFII in another thread:
Most of the I-makers I've run across are hooked on disposable knives--you know the kind that has a replaceable or a break-away blade. Granted they are sharp. But the real attraction is that they don't have to be sharpened...you just replace the blade. And in the process you cheat yourself and cut yourself off from a critical set of skills and muscle memories and understandings that are essential to growth as a Craftsman.

Learning to sharpen a knife is, perhaps the most important skill a maker can have--it instructs the eye and the ear and the sense of touch; and it refines muscle control to the point that almost all subsequent skills are also enhanced. And there is no degree of sharpness in those commercial blades that cannot be achieved by sharpening by hand, with stones, although it is time consuming.

But the average person wants it all...right now...and is satisfied with the pre-sharpened knife. "Self-satisfied" is probably more accurate-- but underneath it all and when you look more closely, it is nothing less than a surrender to mediocrity.

Piobaire

Not left of center?
Reaction score
Well, I bought an Apex Edge Pro. Tried it on two knives so far, a cheapie and a respectable Global chef's. Wow. Way easier to use than I thought it would be and what a nice edge.

tropics

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Well, I bought an Apex Edge Pro. Tried it on two knives so far, a cheapie and a respectable Global chef's. Wow. Way easier to use than I thought it would be and what a nice edge.

Did you have one of the cheapo versions before or is this your first one of this type?

I have a cheapo, with good stones, works well but it’s a (mostly mental) pain to unpack it and sharpen.

Any suggestions out there for a starter freehand stone(s)? After years on the machine I think I’m ready.

Piobaire

Not left of center?
Reaction score
This is my first of anything other than the knife sharpener on the back of an electric can opener.

tropics

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
welcome to a new rabbit hole... you'll know you've made it when you're trying to hide a $100 fckin' stone purchase from your wife.

otc

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
She'll just be relieved its not a rock you bought for another woman

Godot

Reaction score
The Japanese make some great kitchen knives & they charge you for it. If your a trained Japanese chef & your working where people can see you, sure buy some. People often confuse the artifact with the action. A very expensive knife with a pedigree is going to up your cutting game a bit, but it isn't going to make you this guy

For my money & needs, the best kitchen knife is a wooden handled old high carbon steel model that you can pick up in flea markets & second hand stores for $5 or less. Yes they need care to prevent rust & staining, but they will take a wicked edge using just a stone & a little honing. All of my knives are paper cutting sharp & none cost more then a few bucks. Nothing fancy, but they all are very sharp & will cut through beef effortlessly.

Jr Mouse

Stylish Dinosaur
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
Custom kitchen knife I commissioned from Voight Knives. Steel is high carbon with a oxidation process added to force a slight patina. Handle is desert ironwood with brass rivets.

Saya has a custom painted Texas theme of “Lone Star & Lace” that came out very well. Full disclosure: I originally requested a basic wood saya that matched the handle, but he offered to do the custom paint job for free to add to his portfolio.

It’s been a great knife to use in the kitchen so far. I really enjoy how it feels in the hand. Blade shape is nearly perfect.

07F577DA-437A-4FFF-9ABC-36A95BF212B2.jpeg
70876513-850D-4EF2-95D8-D5D742624DF9.jpeg

HORNS

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
F4EC98DB-91F4-4DCC-B3DD-AC867EEF33F5.jpeg
I got myself a new paring knife: a 3.5 inch Kanetsugu stainless steel with 33 layers and a Micarta handle.

SkinnyGoomba

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
I sharpened some Japanese knives for a friend. Mostly for the novelty of going overboard.

img_2660.jpg

img_2661.jpg

img_2659.jpg

Jr Mouse

Stylish Dinosaur
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 55 35.3%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 61 39.1%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 17 10.9%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 27 17.3%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 28 17.9%

Forum statistics

Threads