1. Hi, I'm the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.

Kitchen Knives

Discussion in 'Social Life, Food & Drink, Travel' started by Manton, Sep 15, 2007.

1. venividivicibj

venividivicibj Stylish Dinosaur

Yeah, I wouldn't be able to do differing angles reliably

2. emptym

emptym Moderator Moderator

Some interesting stuff about knife sharpening skills posted by DWFII in another thread:

3. Piobaire

Piobaire Not left of center?

Well, I bought an Apex Edge Pro. Tried it on two knives so far, a cheapie and a respectable Global chef's. Wow. Way easier to use than I thought it would be and what a nice edge.

4. tropics

tropics Distinguished Member

Did you have one of the cheapo versions before or is this your first one of this type?

I have a cheapo, with good stones, works well but it’s a (mostly mental) pain to unpack it and sharpen.

Any suggestions out there for a starter freehand stone(s)? After years on the machine I think I’m ready.

5. Piobaire

Piobaire Not left of center?

This is my first of anything other than the knife sharpener on the back of an electric can opener.

6. venividivicibj

venividivicibj Stylish Dinosaur

:rotflmao:

7. tropics

tropics Distinguished Member

welcome to a new rabbit hole... you'll know you've made it when you're trying to hide a $100 fckin' stone purchase from your wife.

8. otc

otc Stylish Dinosaur

She'll just be relieved its not a rock you bought for another woman

9. kdarylle

kdarylle Member

I like using my Shun Kaji 6". Got it from williams sonoma

10. Godot

Godot Senior Member

The Japanese make some great kitchen knives & they charge you for it. If your a trained Japanese chef & your working where people can see you, sure buy some. People often confuse the artifact with the action. A very expensive knife with a pedigree is going to up your cutting game a bit, but it isn't going to make you this guy

For my money & needs, the best kitchen knife is a wooden handled old high carbon steel model that you can pick up in flea markets & second hand stores for $5 or less. Yes they need care to prevent rust & staining, but they will take a wicked edge using just a stone & a little honing. All of my knives are paper cutting sharp & none cost more then a few bucks. Nothing fancy, but they all are very sharp & will cut through beef effortlessly.

11. Jr Mouse

Jr Mouse Stylish Dinosaur Dubiously Honored

All of time and space, everything that ever was or
    Custom kitchen knife I commissioned from Voight Knives. Steel is high carbon with a oxidation process added to force a slight patina. Handle is desert ironwood with brass rivets.

Saya has a custom painted Texas theme of “Lone Star & Lace” that came out very well. Full disclosure: I originally requested a basic wood saya that matched the handle, but he offered to do the custom paint job for free to add to his portfolio.

It’s been a great knife to use in the kitchen so far. I really enjoy how it feels in the hand. Blade shape is nearly perfect.

07F577DA-437A-4FFF-9ABC-36A95BF212B2.jpeg 70876513-850D-4EF2-95D8-D5D742624DF9.jpeg

12. HORNS

HORNS Stylish Dinosaur

F4EC98DB-91F4-4DCC-B3DD-AC867EEF33F5.jpeg I got myself a new paring knife: a 3.5 inch Kanetsugu stainless steel with 33 layers and a Micarta handle.

13. SkinnyGoomba

SkinnyGoomba Stylish Dinosaur

I sharpened some Japanese knives for a friend. Mostly for the novelty of going overboard.

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]