• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Kitchen Knives

atct86

Reaction score
Originally Posted by foodguy
my first piece of advice is to find out whether he really wants to replace them or not. knives aren't like clothes or cars ... they don't wear out or lose style. i've got a 30-year-old wusthoff chefs knife and i wouldn't dream of replacing it. if they've been damaged over time, or something like that, that's another matter.

His chef's knife is really worn down. Its almost the size of a 6" chef knife from 20 years of sharpening.

foodguy

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
in that case, and this is just my prejudice, i'd look for a wusthoff of a similar length. i find them much preferable to henkels, but they're still German shaped, so they'll be familiar. and maybe get him some sharpening lessons as well (or an edgepro, huh, manton).

Thomas

Stylish Dinosaur
Spamminator Moderator
Reaction score
So I ordered a Masamoto VG-10, it arrived, is nice, but I now learn that the VG-10 series is now not made from the VG-10 steel. Probably was, once, - and that's likely the version that Cooks Illustrated tested in their January issue. The best info I can find indicates VG-1 steel, which is not quite VG-10. This is troubling. Used it for a moment this evening anyway. Heavier than I expected, but still sharp and nimble.

ama

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Thomas
So I ordered a Masamoto VG-10, it arrived, is nice, but I now learn that the VG-10 series is now not made from the VG-10 steel. Probably was, once, - and that's likely the version that Cooks Illustrated tested in their January issue. The best info I can find indicates VG-1 steel, which is not quite VG-10. This is troubling. Used it for a moment this evening anyway. Heavier than I expected, but still sharp and nimble.

Ohh, that sucks, I have an old one that is VG-10. Great knife, I love it. What size you get?

Thomas

Stylish Dinosaur
Spamminator Moderator
Reaction score
Originally Posted by ama
Ohh, that sucks, I have an old one that is VG-10. Great knife, I love it. What size you get?

I got the 240 mm (9-ish inches). I'll still give it a go and see how it holds up.

Philip1978

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Want to get my dad a nice knife for carving meat. What would you recommend in the 200-300 range?

Dmax

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
If you want a set with a fork the Shun Classic set looks nice ($240 on Amazon or Williamns Sonoma).
41CDHr%2B6XgL._SS400_.jpg
If you just want a knife take a look at some longer slimmer Gyuotos or Sujihikis on Japanesechefsknife.com or other sites that sell Japanese knives. The Shun Elite slicer looks very good as well (about $215). The Epicurian Edge has this nice Yoshikane Gyuto which should work as a carvier/slicer as well:

shasta

Reaction score
I recieved a set of Cutco Knives for Xmas - I'm one of those guys that is a big fan of buying "made in the USA" although I'm not a hipster.

I've been really impressed with the quality and performance of them - will definitely buy more!

Philip1978

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Dmax
If you want a set with a fork the Shun Classic set looks nice ($240 on Amazon or Williamns Sonoma).

41CDHr%2B6XgL._SS400_.jpg

If you just want a knife take a look at some longer slimmer Gyuotos or Sujihikis on Japanesechefsknife.com or other sites that sell Japanese knives.

The Shun Elite slicer looks very good as well (about $215).

The Epicurian Edge has this nice Yoshikane Gyuto which should work as a carvier/slicer as well:

Thanks for the suggestions. Just looking to get the knife.

Dragon

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
What is the ultimate western knife for carving? I would like to have a nice knife for carving holiday meals.

DNW

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

KJT

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

foodguy

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Dragon
What is the ultimate western knife for carving? I would like to have a nice knife for carving holiday meals.
depends on what you're carving. If you're doing large, uniform roasts, like leg of lamb, pork roast, standing rib roast, etc, get a long carver like this

but if you do birds -- turkey, chicken, duck ... you need a shorter, stiffer knife like this to work the joints. chef's knife actually works quite well.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 88 37.4%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 88 37.4%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 25 10.6%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 38 16.2%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 37 15.7%

Forum statistics

Threads