Dismiss Notice

STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Kitchen Knives

Discussion in 'Social Life, Food & Drink, Travel' started by Manton, Sep 15, 2007.

1. averagejoe123

averagejoe123 Active Member

First off, guys please don't flame me, I'm just throwing another brand out there. I don't know if any of you guys have heard of CUTCO, but I've actually worked with the company for over a year, and over this period I've run into many owners of Henckels and Shun who switch over. Just to give you a little more info: the knives have a special edge which stay sharp 7-10 years without sharpening, we outsell the top 3 knife manufacturers in the world combined without selling in stores making our brand significantly cheaper, and we have a Forever Guarantee basically meaning you won't have to buy another knife ever again. If you want more info feel free to PM me. [​IMG]

2. Huntsman

Huntsman Senior member

First off, guys please don't flame me, I'm just throwing another brand out there. I don't know if any of you guys have heard of CUTCO, but I've actually worked with the company for over a year, and over this period I've run into many owners of Henckels and Shun who switch over. Just to give you a little more info: the knives have a special edge which stay sharp 7-15 years without sharpening, we outsell the top 3 knife manufacturers in the world combined without selling in stores making our brand significantly cheaper, and we have a Forever Guarantee basically meaning you won't have to buy another knife ever again. If you want more info feel free to PM me. [​IMG]
    Ummm, no. You were doing good until you started saying that the knives will stay sharp for 7-15 years. This, simply, is not true. Serrations will give the illusion of sharpness longer, but it doesn't start out as sharp to begin with and still gets dull. And then you have to send them back to be sharpened. Now, I'm not saying they're not good, but merely that the marketing guys are overstepping the engineers a bit. As an engineer, this is something I'm familiar with. ~ Huntsman

3. kwilkinson

kwilkinson Having a Ball

Ummm, no. You were doing good until you started saying that the knives will stay sharp for 7-15 years. This, simply, is not true. Serrations will give the illusion of sharpness longer, but it doesn't start out as sharp to begin with and still gets dull. And then you have to send them back to be sharpened. Now, I'm not saying they're not good, but merely that the marketing guys are overstepping the engineers a bit. As an engineer, this is something I'm familiar with. ~ Huntsman

Our entire set of knives at home are Cutco. I've actually been very impressed with them, given the way they're sold, but you're absolutely right about not staying sharp for that long. That's an insane proposition to even make as a company.

I'm looking forward to orientation at CHIC when I get my brand new knife set! [​IMG]

P.S. Hunts--- I found an apartment that is literally a block down from the Violet Hour. Not sure if I'm moving there yet, but Bucktown seems like the place to be lately.

4. Dmax

Dmax Senior member

I've run into many owners of Henckels and Shun who switch over.
    I find this very hard to believe. Cutco serrated (aka "Double-D edge") knives could be compared to Henckels' less expensive "International" serrated line of knives, except that Cutco cost a lot more. Cutco regular edged knives would be comparable to Henckels International stamped knives except again Custco cost more. Cutco does not offer anything comparable to Shun or even Heckels' higher end "Twin" line of knives.
    Just to give you a little more info: the knives have a special edge which stay sharp 7-15 years without sharpening,
    It's called a serrated edge. Good for a bread knife. Not so good for a standard chef's knife. If you are looking for a serrated knife made with cheap steel and fitted with a cheap plastic handle that you can put into a dishwasher there are plenty of other brands that will accommodate you and for a lot less money.

5. averagejoe123

averagejoe123 Active Member

The double D edge isn't a serrated edge. It is composed of 3 straight edges. The points actually are there just to protect the 3 straight edges from dulling on cutting boards etc. so it cuts as rapidly as a serrated edge but as smoothly as a straight edge. Our straight edges stay about 2 to 3 times longer than the regular straight edge. The blades are made out of 440A stainless steel and the handles out of thermo resin. And we have a guarantee promising free sharpening or replacement of the product whenever it doesn't meet the owner's standards as well as a 6 month sample program where customers can actually try the product in their households. I've met people who've had the product over 40+ years who swear it's the best investment they've made with the combination of the product and the guarantee. I've only received 2 complaints since I began working. 1.the blades are too sharp and 2. they dull out quickly (usually people who just buy a trimmer and a chefs knife instead of a set and use it for EVERYTHING).

6. Thomas

Thomas Senior member

I have some experience with these knives. Our in-laws have a set and they love them. We have a set of Cutco steak knives, and they have held their edge reasonably well. Then again, we use them like once every few months, and my cooking has improved to the point where even plastic knives do the trick.

Now, my folks also have a set of Cutco knives (white handles, no points) and I was sorely disappointed in the chef's knife. Whether this was a bad factory edge or through neglect I have no idea, but it's not like they cook a lot to begin with.

7. Huntsman

Huntsman Senior member

P.S. Hunts--- I found an apartment that is literally a block down from the Violet Hour. Not sure if I'm moving there yet, but Bucktown seems like the place to be lately.
    Wow -- even as merely an opportunity that sounds so awesome. I have literally dreamt of living near my favorite bar (last time I was drifting a Ferrari around the town, though it had the V-12 from an old Lambo Miura so that was odd). "We dream our lives" or so begins my favorite poem -- the dichotomy there is that you can either be dreaming of what you want or living it. Enjoy. Damn, I used to like you, man. ~ Huntsman

8. chiral

chiral Senior member

What are peoples opinions on Henckels knives? I've been using a set of MAC knives up until now, but they're getting old and I think I'd like to move up. Since I'm moving to my new place in a few weeks, I figure now is a good time.

9. DNW

DNW Senior member

What are peoples opinions on Henckels knives? I've been using a set of MAC knives up until now, but they're getting old and I think I'd like to move up. Since I'm moving to my new place in a few weeks, I figure now is a good time.
    I have a set of the Pro S line. Love them. They're hard and sharp, but not too heavy--just feel great in my hands. I have an affinity for Henckels because they're what my mom uses, so they just feel "right" to me. But if I didn't these, I would've gotten a set of comparable Wusthofs (the Classics, I believe). At this level, just get a decent brand that feels good in your hands.

10. Dmax

Dmax Senior member

It's nice to know that besides teaching the college youth of our nation how to sell overpriced knives to their relatives Vector Marketing also teaches them other useful job skills, such as copying and pasting from the sales manual, avoiding answering any questions you don't understand, and repeating the sales pitch ad nausea in response to questions not covered in training. Cutco knives have some positive points, including the warranty, ease of maintenance, ability to take abuse and being manufactured in the US. What I take umbrage with are the sleazy sales techniques and (to borrow a phrase) blatantly masturbatory, misleading and fallacious claims of being "The World's finest cutlery".
    The double D edge isn't a serrated edge. It is composed of 3 straight edges. The points actually are there just to protect the 3 straight edges from dulling on cutting boards etc. so it cuts as rapidly as a serrated edge but as smoothly as a straight edge.
    You just described a typical serrated edge. A "Double D edge"is just a marketing term. Lots of manufacturers give their serrated edges proprietary names. Spyderco calls theirs "Spyderedge" for example. The pattern of serrations may vary between the manufacturers but in my experience, all well made serrated knives perform similarly. A serrated edge will never cut as smoothly as a straight edge. That is why you don't see sushi chefs, or any pro chefs for that matter, using serrated edge knives. Moreover, a serrated edge knive will never be able to chop well, which is the basic requirement of any proper chef's knife.
    Our straight edges stay about 2 to 3 times longer than the regular straight edge.
    Really? Why would they?
    The blades are made out of 440A stainless steel and the handles out of thermo resin.
    440A is one of the cheapest and lowest performing steels used in cutlery. "Thermo resin" is another word for injection molded plastic, the cheapest handle material.
    And we have a guarantee promising free sharpening or replacement of the product whenever it doesn't meet the owner's standards as well as a 6 month sample program where customers can actually try the product in their households. I've met people who've had the product over 40+ years who swear it's the best investment they've made with the combination of the product and the guarantee. I've only received 2 complaints since I began working. 1.the blades are too sharp and
    I don't dispute the fact that you have a lot of satisfied customers. In many households the man's oldest tool is threated as an afterthought and is often tasked to serve as a screwdriver, can-opener, or a prybar. Then, it is put into a dishwasher and stored loose in a drawer with spoons and forks. For these people, Cutco knives may be a good idea and an upgrade from what they currently have.
    I've only received 2 complaints since I began working. 1.the blades are too sharp and 2. they dull out quickly (usually people who just buy a trimmer and a chefs knife instead of a set and use it for EVERYTHING).
    They dull quickly because 440A has crummy edge retention. Most people only need a trimmer/parer and a chef's knife. The whole "buy a set" mentality makes people overspend on knives they will never use instead of putting more money into their most important tool - the chef's knife.

11. bigbadbuff

bigbadbuff Senior member

12. HomerJ

HomerJ Senior member

I saw Shun Ken Onion paring knife and chef knife at TJ Maxx today for $50 and $100. They had some of the classic line too. Thought about buying a couple but it's more knife than I honestly need. Unless someone wants to talk me into it [​IMG]

13. ama

ama Senior member

Don't get the Ken Onion. Its kind of an oddity of a knife that sold terribly based on what I heard. The Shun Classic line is pretty good, especially at TJ Maxx prices. It will old an edge a while and is well made. They have ergonomic handles so check to see if its a right handed knife or a left handed one.

In my kitchen I have mostly Misono UX10s that I got at Korin in NYC. They cost more than I was planning to spend, but they are screaming sharp, hold an edge extremely well and ought to last a very long while. I loved the sharpness of the carbon steels, but I wasn't willing to put in the constant work to maintain them. VG-10 is pretty good stand in for carbon with the added bonus of being much easier to care for.

For those in NYC, I strongly suggest a trip to Korin before you make any knife purchases, its quite a learning (and spending) experience. (bonus: there is a knife sharpening course Tuesdays and Thursdays in the early afternoon I believe, its free, and very cool)

14. Thomas

Thomas Senior member

just a quick update: the Togiharo is doing quite well, have not needed to sharpen it, probably because Mrs. T won't use it at all. Also picked up a T-I Sabatier Inox a month or so ago - NOS from ebay - which has become my other kitchen mainstay.

15. robin

robin Senior member

Just spent about 30 minutes cutting stuff up for dinner with my new south paw Shun santoku. Wonderful knife, I'm probably going to go back to the store to get the chef's knife now too.