• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Kirkland Signature (Costco) Italian Ties

MadAboutPlaid

Reaction score
I received the November edition of the Costco Connection in the mail today. There is an article about their new Italian ties.

"Kirkland Signature Ties are made by the same artisans who make high-end European labels."
It goes on to say they they are hand made it Italy by a "small group of women paying attention to every detail. The craft has been passed down from generation to generation. In an Italian tie, they don't use an iron to press it. It has rolled edges, no creases."

It then states that they would normally retail for $135 to $175 but they are $19.99 and there are 24 patterns.

I know that Costco only puts their Kirkland Signature name on high-quality products. Has anyone seen them in person? I may need to make a trip to check them out.

D.B.Cooper

Reaction score
That sounds really interesting. I'm always on the lookout for their "Made in Italy" Kirkland trousers, but they've never had them at the Costco I frequent.

contactme_11

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Unless they tell us who the real maker of the "italian made" ties are, I'm going to assume they were really made in china.

MikeDT

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

Unless they tell us who the real maker of the "italian made" ties are, I'm going to assume they were really made in china.

A US retailer is passing of something as made in Italy, when in fact it isen't. Surely that would be unlawful? I'm sure the BBB would have something to say about this as well.

Grenadier

Reaction score

A US retailer is passing of something as made in Italy, when in fact it isen't. Surely that would be unlawful? I'm sure the BBB would have something to say about this as well.

Not necessarily. The legal definition of what constitutes "made in" often has almost no relationship to what most people would think "made in" means. Many luxury products are labeled made in Italy even though the great majority of the product is assembled in China; often the only part made in Italy is the label.

Besides, you can't get a tie that retails for $150 at another store for a retail price of $20. Something will be different.

Nicola

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

Besides, you can't get a tie that retails for $150 at another store for a retail price of $20. Something will be different.

From the sound of it the ties are a store brand. They aren't sold anyplace else for $150. They're just claiming that would be the MSRP

Grenadier

Reaction score

From the sound of it the ties are a store brand. They aren't sold anyplace else for $150. They're just claiming that would be the MSRP

Yes, but Costco is claiming that it is selling a $150 tie for $20. Obviously, the tie is not actually a $150 tie. No doubt Costco is selling the tie at a much lower profit margin than the store selling the $150 tie, but the difference is too big. Costco may be selling a $60 tie for $20, but I doubt it is selling a $150 tie for $20.

comrade

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
If I remember correctly, I saw them on a recent visit.
They were, IMHO not worth looking over. Full disclosure:
I have my own preferences for neckties, so half of the
I-gent approved stuff from Drakes, Marinella, etc that my
fellow-members obsess over is of no interest to me.

Pawz

Reaction score
Why would Costco go through the trouble and expense of buying/fabricating Italian neckwear merely to sell it for $20 (and really - do you believe Costco has a fashion house in Milan)? The supposed demographic cannot be label whores; why would such a person flaunt a tie that came from the same store as their dog's food?

You know the ties are garbage. All right, they are perfectly good as ties (just... don't... dry clean them... unless you like paisley tie-dye), although the idea that Costco believes their product is just as good as (say) a tie by Isiah is stupid and implies that 80% of the mark-up resides in the name stitched to the product.

Methinks Costco is trying to make the statement that luxury brands and exotic materials are overpriced (Costco products are just as good if not better!). Personally, I view this implication as condescending on the part of Costco - which must view its customers as ignorant, impoverished peasants who are desperate to save a dollar. I guess I will buy my peanut butter elseplace. :(

Last edited:

Pawz

Reaction score
Fine. *buys a Costco tie... and a box of Pop-Tarts while he's thinking about it*

JohnGalt

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
They may be "made in the same factory" but obvi costs are being cut somehow. Off hand, I would think:

- Less expensive fabric
- Large order volume
- Not as strict QC
- Less folds/finishing detail
- Less experienced workers

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 91 37.8%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 89 36.9%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 25 10.4%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 40 16.6%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.8%

Forum statistics

Threads