1. And... we're back. You'll notice that all of your images are back as well, as are our beloved emoticons, including the infamous :foo: We have also worked with our server folks and developers to fix the issues that were slowing down the site.

There is still work to be done - the images in existing sigs are not yet linked, for example, and we are working on a way to get the images to load faster - which will improve the performance of the site, especially on the pages with a ton of images, and we will continue to work diligently on that and keep you updated.

Cheers,

Fok on behalf of the entire Styleforum team
    Dismiss Notice

Kirkland Signature (Costco) Italian Ties

Discussion in 'Classic Menswear' started by MadAboutPlaid, Oct 27, 2011.

1. prozach1576

prozach1576 Senior member

For some reason I bought one of these a while back. For $20 it is quite nice (surely better than $20 is going to get you at any other store), but it is not a nice tie in any absolute sense. The construction seems good but the silk is cheap and ugly.

2. swiego

swiego Senior member

I saw these during the my monthly Costco trip. Most of the patterns are not so good, but a few are attractive. The silk is fantastic; frankly speaking, it does not seem appreciably worse than the thicker silks in my Borelli, Kiton, Isaia, Brioni ties. Very high quality silk IMO. The construction is a bit hit-or-miss and seems typical of a "good" tie. The stitching is hard to see and quite even; the clasp is a thick silk number that's sewn on properly. The tie itself is thick: it feels a bit more "airy" or "plump" and not as stiff as the aforementioned Italian ties that I have, which feels like a negative. There's a bit of puckering on the front; it might be due to how it was rolled up in the box for who knows how long, so I re-rolled them backwards and put them back in the box for a day. :) If this plumpness and puckering is simply due to the tie being wrapped up in a box, and if it fades, then these are a startling bargain, patterns notwithstanding. If they are a property of the design of the tie, then they are just a good deal. There are no loose threads, unevenness of work or sense that they cheaped out anywhere.

I bought two. To be honest, only two patterns were attractive to me; a lighter silver with an excellent pattern, and a red repeating square thingy which appealed to me because I don't have many red ties. Having them in hand, they seem like fine winter-holiday-time ties.

Overall I would say these are a steal at $20 a piece. I personally have never seen a tie with a MSRP under $100 that is better.

Last edited: Oct 30, 2011
  3. saiyar1

saiyar1 Senior member

Just to give you an idea of the margins Costco is dealing with.... the overall average margin on products they sell is 0.7%. Yes, a fraction of a percent.

I'm sure margin is larger on certain items than others. But it is possible that they are selling them for $20.

Unfortunately, Costco will get a bad rap for selling certain goods because they are a warehouse, aren't a high end store, or offer decent things at a fraction people paid. Either way, it sometimes comes across as a little bit jealous. I love Costco and the value they offer is often muuuch better, even if they aren't absolutely top of the line.

4. contactme_11

contactme_11 Senior member

Can you back this up in any way? An article or anything? Because I don't believe this number for one second. I'm sure they make way more money.

5. inlandisland

inlandisland Senior member

The ties in that ebay link are ugly. Just buy something on sale at Land's End and it will be 50X nicer.

6. saiyar1

saiyar1 Senior member

Yes, this is simple to check... go to the SEC's site and pull up the 10-k filing.

I did a valuation on Costco about 2 years ago. Granted it was a bad economy so the margin was under 1% (net income vs revenues).

Just looked at last year... Net Income to revenues was 1.7%. If you want to look at operating margin, well that was 2.5%... it's still TINY.

Additionally, my professor at Stern did consulting work for them... he confirmed how small their margins are, but obviously couldn't get into more details because of privacy agreements. Keep in mind, the financial statements, if anything will be skewed through "smart accounting" to look better, not worse, which biases the numbers. Nonetheless, 10k will be the best you can ever get, unless you're an insider.

Last edited: Oct 30, 2011
  7. idfnl

idfnl Senior member

Having handled 100,000's of ties I can assure you there is a wide gulf in the quality of what you are talking about.

8. contactme_11

Isn't that the truth.

9. Grenadier

Grenadier Senior member

I am a firm believer in Costco and its massive bottles of booze. And I agree that the ties likely represent good value for money and are likely better than what many men wear. And maybe the ties are as high-quality as $150 ties from some fashion labels which are light on quality and high on "style." But I'll take my Drakes any day.

Besides, the patterns are atrocious and a significant part of a tie's value lies in its pattern.

10. Michael44

Michael44 New Member

I love Costco.
    I get most of my food and appliances there.
    Even my underwear.
    But I made the mistake of assuming that the beautifully written description in Costco Connection about these "Italian made" silk ties was accurate.
    I pictured that "small group of women paying attention to every detail", finishing by hand these top quality ties worth $135-$175 in other stores.
    So, I purchased a total of ten of these ties--different colors of course.

Problem--when I opened the nice boxes that they came in, and carefully unrolled them--every one had lumps/wrinkles, as if the material wasn't sewn to fit properly.
    And one of the many "lumps", an unsightly bulge right in the middle of the ties, comes from the huge, thick, Kirkland labels on the back.

Steaming, light pressing did not work.
    Lumps, bulges, wrinkles didn't disappear.
    When I brought them to my cleaners and showed the ties, they must have assumed that they need to be pressed flat.
    The bulges were reduced, lunps/wrinkles reduced (still not gone) and the ties looked like stiff boards.

They ended up looking horrible.
    Thank you local cleaners.
    (that's for another posting)

Are the ties worth $20?
    Probably, because they are silk (I think anyway) , but certainly not more.

I'm disappointed in Costco for misrepresenting the quality of these ties.

11. OinkBoink

OinkBoink Senior member

I bought several, but returned a couple because the patterns weren't completely straight. The ones that I did keep did have the wrinkled/bubbled look to them out of the box, but after an ironing, they looked fine.

Overall, I do think they're easily worth $20 and then some. Not all of the patterns are agreeable, obviously, but then again I wouldn't buy all 24 ties even if they were.

I'm wearing one right now and, for those who are curious, the label says "100% silk, made in Italy".

12. mlongano

mlongano Senior member

Check out www.samhober.com for starters.

13. xieish

xieish Member

Would you say they are better/worse/the same as TheTieBar?

14. contactme_11

Just because a tie is made of silk doesn't instantly make it worth $20. Go to any Macys and I guarantee you will find far higher quality ties in the $20-$40 range than what you are finding at costco. And yes, I actually looked at these costco ties myself this weekend and I can say this for a certainty.

15. swiego

swiego Senior member

So, I noticed Kirkland "Full-Grain Italian Leather Dress Belts" at Costco today, near the ties described in this thread.

Nice top, nice back, good stitching, clean buckle, 1.25" and looks great. $20. I liked it enough to pick up a brown one. Check it out...