• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • We would like to welcome House of Huntington as an official Affiliate Vendor. Shop past season Drake's, Nigel Cabourn, Private White V.C. and other menswear luxury brands at exceptional prices below retail. Please visit the Houise of Huntington thread and welcome them to the forum.

• STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Kirchtag Umbrellas

logboy

Reaction score
can anyone detail the way they contacted and dealt with kirchtag. i'd like to know the options, prices.

patrickBOOTH

Stylish Dinosaur
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
I contacted them via email. Seems that pricing was all more or less the same for the different woods, at least the ones I was looking at ~7 years ago.

logboy

Reaction score
I contacted them via email. Seems that pricing was all more or less the same for the different woods, at least the ones I was looking at ~7 years ago.

can you give me an idea of the prices on their solid sticks or anything else you got a number on?

i am surprised their site is so basic, and there's not any sign of stockists anywhere - the quality in articles looks comparable to other EU makers of solid sticks, but their presence is not.

their website doesn't seem to have their email, but found it elsewhere - i've sent a quick message for prices and possible stockists too (given the stories here about buying in the past) so i can see where they're at these days.

Last edited:

patrickBOOTH

Stylish Dinosaur
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
I mean even lower-end "nice" umbrellas are like 450 euros so you're really not going to get out of that ballpark.

logboy

Reaction score
i would rather go for brigg / fox / james smith than kirchtag then. there's not enough information around to figure out what would be affecting their price that much - i'd take a guess austria is expensive, but then you've hertault in paris and they're several times the price you mention for kirchtag. at least it's clear they're using quality frames.

the more i look into one or two of these top-end makers of umbrellas, the more they struggle to be clear on what's differentiating what they make enough to justify their prices. i am chasing fox for details on sticks and frames - they were on a BBC show last week, but the report make them look quite simple and overpriced because it glossed over a lot of elements of skill and quality, showed only the canopy making - but not had an luck yet. one by one they knock themselves off the list. wondering just how corrupted the high end is from the availability of good steel frames, and how much they've turned towards china as they've been cornered on the need to keep going.

patrickBOOTH

Stylish Dinosaur
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
I bought a Fox a couple of years ago and that was 500 or 600 euros. They are all in that range. Brigg's finishing looks nicer, but they also whittle the stick narrower than the Fox, which to me at least, means not as strong. One thing is also true, the Italian makers only make pretty small umbrellas, Fox, or Brigg you can get longer sticks and wider canopies, which I value.

logboy

Reaction score
I bought a Fox a couple of years ago and that was 500 or 600 euros. They are all in that range. Brigg's finishing looks nicer, but they also whittle the stick narrower than the Fox, which to me at least, means not as strong. One thing is also true, the Italian makers only make pretty small umbrellas, Fox, or Brigg you can get longer sticks and wider canopies, which I value.

good to know. i have two maglia’s bought this year - fit-ups, one sent by mistake i got to keep, so £130 for the two - and they’re 38” walking length. as long, pretty much as most UK solid sticks, with only bespoke or one or two 39” beating this.

patrickBOOTH

Stylish Dinosaur
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
Are the canopy diameters the same though? For whatever reason I was only able to find larger canopies with the English makers. Also, are they solid sticks, or just fancy handles?

logboy

Reaction score
ye
Are the canopy diameters the same though? For whatever reason I was only able to find larger canopies with the English makers. Also, are they solid sticks, or just fancy handles?

yes. massive; i am 6’ 2”. 10 rib frames also. not measured canopy but well over 1m. fit-ups with malaca handles. their prices are currently 260 euros+ for these, and 320 euros+ for solid. i got offered one from unpaid orders and was asked what my price limit was. this included postage too, which i estimate was £60 or so to me in the UK.

circumspice

Distinguished Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I mean even lower-end "nice" umbrellas are like 450 euros so you're really not going to get out of that ballpark.

Single stick Talaricos are in the high US$300s at NMWA, which is an extremely reasonable price for Americans given that shipping is built in. Artisanal umbrella makers tend to not have enough shipping volume to bring shipping costs to anything shy of painful.

usctrojans31

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
This thread made me think three things.

1. I miss Holdfast. With Don Cologne posting this week, I felt a bit nostalgic. Wonder who else can come out of the woodwork

2. I'm glad I got my Talarico in Napoli as the price difference is significant

3. I'm glad my mother-in-law, who told me that I'm difficult to buy gifts for, was with me at Talarico. She snatched my credit card out of my hand and said "happy birthday"

circumspice

Distinguished Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Did you bring it back with you on the plane? Shipping is brutal... both of my Talaricos are from Napoli, not NMWA

logboy

Reaction score
2019 prices via email today ... from 240 euros for women, 275 euros for men. shipping to UK 30 euros. no price list, apparently, so don't know how you set a spec. no stockists anywhere, only available from their own shop. supposed you'd have to live there or be there on holiday. doesn't sound particularly workable or confidence inducing.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 55 35.5%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 60 38.7%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 17 11.0%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 27 17.4%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 28 18.1%

Forum statistics

Threads