• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • We would like to welcome House of Huntington as an official Affiliate Vendor. Shop past season Drake's, Nigel Cabourn, Private White V.C. and other menswear luxury brands at exceptional prices below retail. Please visit the Houise of Huntington thread and welcome them to the forum.

• STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Kirchtag Umbrellas

Manton

RINO
Reaction score
Anyone know anything about these? Crazy expensive, wondering they are the ne plus ultra or something else.

Manton

RINO
Reaction score
Saw one at a shop in Manhattan today, never heard of them before.

Holdfast

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Their website is pretty decent (and has the added bonus of some amusing mistranslations should you run it through google, which I will leave you to find): http://www.kirchtag.com/home.html

An internet search also reveals a brief mention of the company & a look inside its workshop here: http://www.neverstoptraveling.com/my-secret-salzburg-tour

Those of you who dig all the individual artisanal schtick will value this quote :

Quote:
No idea if the ones sold elsewhere are made the same way, or some kind of branding deal.

Last edited:

Holdfast

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Oh, I have googled a lot of it.

I'm not usually one to go down the Freudian slip/free association psychoanalytic road, so it pains me to admit I initially read this as:
Oh, I have googled a lot of tit.
confused.gif

patrickBOOTH

Stylish Dinosaur
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
Maybe you are such a good psychatrist that you have actually become psychic! :eek:

patrickBOOTH

Stylish Dinosaur
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
Ok, so here is the story. I ordered one of these guys in February. They said it was take approximately 2 weeks to make and then they would ship. About 3-4 weeks went by and they said they shipped it on March 8 and sometimes with customs and such it can take 4-6 weeks. Six weeks later I informed them I still hadn't received it and I asked if they had a tracking number. They sent me the tracking number and it said it was at a sorting facility and had been marked unclaimed and was being sent back to Germany. WTF!?!? I called the post office, they said there is nothing they can do and they don't give phone numbers to sorting facilities so I can't even tell them to reship it. I filed an investigation on the post office website and they said there is nothing they can do and only the shipper can launch a formal investigation, but by that time it will already be back in Germany. I emailed Kirchtag to let them know, but I fear the issue will be lost in translation and they are just going to mysteriously receive this unopened umbrella package that is already paid for. I'm royally pissed at the post office and I don't know what to do.

Side story, I sold an old umbrella, which this was to replace. I shipped it about 3-4 miles away and it never got there. There are two constants here, umbrellas and the post office. This is what I get for opening them up inside before I walk out the door...

Manton

RINO
Reaction score
I bought some cloth a few months ago. For the first time ever it was stopped by customs. The additional fee was almost the price of the cloth. After much back and forth, I figured I had no choice but to pay it. When I got the invoice, it turned out that some tiny % of the bill was for duties and the rest was a massive fee to some bonded warehose for "storage," i.e., ransom.

We live in corrupt times.

patrickBOOTH

Stylish Dinosaur
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
It is ridiculous. I should have just bought the damn thing at Rain or Shine for full price. All this hassle has been worth it.

Holdfast

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
There are two constants here, umbrellas and the post office. This is what I get for opening them up inside before I walk out the door...

You thought you'd make a big splash, but in the end all your hopes just washed away.

Still, dry up and just go with the flow from now on.

I bought some cloth a few months ago. For the first time ever it was stopped by customs. The additional fee was almost the price of the cloth. After much back and forth, I figured I had no choice but to pay it. When I got the invoice, it turned out that some tiny % of the bill was for duties and the rest was a massive fee to some bonded warehose for "storage," i.e., ransom.

We live in corrupt times.

In my - admittedly limited & small-scale - experience, couriers are the worst. Royal Mail (with USPS at the other end) can sometimes be delayed by customs for a brief but unpredictable duration, but it gets through in the end. With couriers, they not only charge more for shipping, but have an annoying tendency to be more meticulous in terms of charging duties (and incorrectly), and then charging for storage. I'm sure it's a good revenue stream...

Journeyman

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

In my - admittedly limited & small-scale - experience, couriers are the worst. Royal Mail (with USPS at the other end) can sometimes be delayed by customs for a brief but unpredictable duration, but it gets through in the end. With couriers, they not only charge more for shipping, but have an annoying tendency to be more meticulous in terms of charging duties (and incorrectly), and then charging for storage. I'm sure it's a good revenue stream...

+1. I bought a watch from overseas quite a few years ago and it was shipped via FedEx (I think).

Anyway, it was over the customs limit for Australia and so I got a call from FedEx to let me know that I had a pay a customs fee.

Similar to your experience, when I finally received the watch and looked at the invoice, more than half of the additional cost - which was considerable - was taken up by a "processing fee" levied by the courier company for forwarding on my customs fee payment to the government!

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 55 35.5%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 60 38.7%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 17 11.0%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 27 17.4%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 28 18.1%

Forum statistics

Threads