• I'm happy to introduce the Styleforum Happy Hour, our brand new podcast featuring lively discussion about menswear and the fashion industry. In the inaugural edition, a discussion of what's going on in retail today. Please check it out on the Journal. All episodes will be also be available soon on your favorite podcast platform.

• STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

"Kippah" Search....

Lafont

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Looking for very specific style "kippah" (or, "yarmulka") which I wore for my Bar Mitzvah in 1962! I can't post any photo but it was the standard round, of white satin with silver thread embroidery. There were the stars, interspersed with the outlines of dreidels, around the circle. Probably squiggle in thread around the circumference and button or more decoration in the center. I do have a few photos that show mine but I can't easily scan them. They don't show much but enough.

This was a very common, standard style of "kippah" around the earlyl '60s for those of the "fancier" type. Condition should be decent and, obviously, a photo would be very useful though not essential if the description is accurate. I will pay royally for one and will pay royally! I'm sure there are many of these left in the U.S., Canada, or the UK anyway and elsewhere.

I searched about 20 years for a watchband like the one that came with my Elgin Sportsman in 1962 and was eventually successful!

MBreinin

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Lafont
Looking for very specific style "kippah" (or, "yarmulka") which I wore for my Bar Mitzvah in 1962! I can't post any photo but it was the standard round, of white satin with silver thread embroidery. There were the stars, interspersed with the outlines of dreidels, around the circle. Probably squiggle in thread around the circumference and button in the center. I do have a few photos that show mine but I can't easily scan them. They don't show much but enough.

This was a very common, standard style of "kippah" around the earlyl '60s for those of the "fancier" type. Condition should be decent and, obviously, a photo would be very useful though not essential if the description is accurate. I will pay royally for one and will pay royally! I'm sure there are many of these left in the U.S., Canada, or the UK anyway and elsewhere.

I searched about 20 years for a watchband like the one that came with my Elgin Sportsman in 1962 and was eventually successful!

Have you hit E-Bay?

in stitches

Kung Joo
Spamminator Moderator
Reaction score
try eichlers judaica store in ny start with calling them, here is the link with their info

http://www.eichlers.com/?gclid=CICFj...FQl_5QodhFPHoA

if you have no luck google "judaica" and call the stores till you find it, the exact style with dreidels may be gone but that general style can be found easily enough

Lafont

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by MBreinin
Have you hit E-Bay?

Sure. Almost always new and never the right pattern. It could be new, I suppose, but nobody seems to making them just like in '62.

Lafont

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by in stitches
try eichlers judaica store in ny start with calling them, here is the link with their info

http://www.eichlers.com/?gclid=CICFj...FQl_5QodhFPHoA

if you have no luck google "judaica" and call the stores till you find it, the exact style with dreidels may be gone but that general style can be found easily enough

I've done that all along. I'm really hoping someone out there has one in a collection and is willing to sell. They were common, after all. Sure the general style is currently common but I'm rather obsessive about exact replicas. Of course, I can only be as obsessive as my photos can show of the original.
I could also have one custom made but am not willing to pay a huge amount. Ideally I'd find a vintage one not in new condition. One guy at my synagogue has one that might be close though but he isn't willing to part with it.

judges76

Reaction score
Have you considered bespoke? Will Chan be in Ohio anytime soon?

in stitches

Kung Joo
Spamminator Moderator
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Lafont
I've done that all along. I'm really hoping someone out there has one in a collection and is willing to sell. They were common, after all. Sure the general style is currently common but I'm rather obsessive about exact replicas. Of course, I can only be as obsessive as my photos can show of the original.
I could also have one custom made but am not willing to pay a huge amount. Ideally I'd find a vintage one not in new condition. One guy at my synagogue has one that might be close though but he isn't willing to part with it.

scour all the old synagouges in world til you find it

good luck and good shabbos

Sazerac

Reaction score
I've got a whole drawer full of kippas from various bar/bat mitzvahs. I'll dig through there and look. If I have one like you describe you can just have it.

Lafont

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by judges76
Have you considered bespoke? Will Chan be in Ohio anytime soon?

"bespoke" = "custom," sonny.

Which Chan?

Lafont

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by in stitches
scour all the old synagouges in world til you find it

good luck and good shabbos

Have and do. Thanks.

Lafont

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Sazerac
I've got a whole drawer full of kippas from various bar/bat mitzvahs. I'll dig through there and look. If I have one like you describe you can just have it.

I'd be more than glad to supply any additional information. The whole idea for satisfaction is to get one so close it's about like it's the exact same one I wore in 1962. I did have it many years but then - poof!

Lafont

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Mr_Incognito
Try doing a Google Image Search, sometimes it is quite useful.

That's what I do all the time, but thanks.

Lafont

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I'm looking carefully at my 1962 photos.... Looks like six sections. Double wavy stitching around circumferance. Instead of dreidel shape they're sort of diamonds with rounded corners - likely interspersed with stars (five or six pointed?). Button in center; I don't know about decoration around the button. Again - this was probably quite common in 1962 so I'm sure there are some around from even then let alone all the years since. Help.

Featured Sponsor

How many pairs of shoes do you own?

• 1 - 4

Votes: 15 3.0%
  • 5 - 10

Votes: 88 17.6%
  • 11 - 20

Votes: 161 32.1%
  • 21 - 30

Votes: 81 16.2%
  • 31 - 40

Votes: 46 9.2%