• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Kindle vs Nook vs Ipad

ibleedwhite

Reaction score
granted that all 3 are different products and can be used for different things, how would you compare the 3?

I travel often for work and I run into people on planes with these products. some people say nook is better, and some say Kindle is better.

iPad ofcourse has more functions and is more intensive on the wallet.

ratboycom

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I played around with a kindle 2 after getting my nook. I like the interface and functionality of the nook better (especially if you hack it with the custom firmwares). The newer Kindle is supposed to be faster and thinner, but meh. I like my nook just fine for basic net browsing at school, and for my text books. Both the Kindle and Nook lack in PDF handling though. If the pdf is a solid image (say a scanned file) you cant resize it to make it easier to read, though if it is one with selectable text they convert to a mostly readable format. I think the iPad or another tablet would accel in that area (though the larger screen would deffinately help)

ibleedwhite

Reaction score
What's the difference between Kindle 2 and Kindle DX? Are they the same thing ?

BP348

Reaction score
I have the Sony e-book reader and honestly havent even picked it up since buying an ipad. Your basic ipad isnt all that much more expensive and it does a ton more then any e-book reader.

Save yourself the time and effort and just buy the ipad.

whiteslashasian

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by BP348
I have the Sony e-book reader and honestly havent even picked it up since buying an ipad. Your basic ipad isnt all that much more expensive and it does a ton more then any e-book reader.

Save yourself the time and effort and just buy the ipad.

Not sure how $499 vs $139 (new Kindle 3 wifi) is not "much more expensive"
confused.gif
I guess I'm just a small timer.

ibleedwhite

Reaction score
Originally Posted by whiteslashasian
Not sure how $499 vs $139 (new Kindle 3 wifi) is not "much more expensive"
confused.gif
I guess I'm just a small timer.

Well the $139 is more affordable than the $499. I see what your saying too.

ratboycom

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
The eInk display is easier to read than the LCD over a long period of time and in excessive light (it really is like reading a book). If you plan on reading more than you would watch movies or that sort of thing, I suggest one of the eReaders over the iPad. Head to your local B&N they should have Nooks on display to play with, get a feel for it and see if it is actually what you want/need.
The Kindle DX was the larger screen version. The Kindle 2 was the first revision of the device.

Reggs

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
The Sony readers have an awful display. They put a touch screen layer on it, so it doesn't have anywhere near the clarity of Nook or Kindle.

The nook is a wobbly piece of plastic. It feels like you're holding a child's toy. Publishers are flocking to Kindle already because Amazon has more muscle with publishers, and because it's selling better. The whole Nook Vs Kindle argument is now every bit as pointless as the Blockbuster Online Vs Netflix argument.

The iPad is not an eReader and makes an awful substitute for one. I would even take a Sony eReader over this.

HgaleK

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
The Kindle is ballin' out of control. The Kindle 3 has excellent contrast (apparently 50% better than last generation), lots of free and under a dollar books, and excellent support. This and my DS lite are two best electronic purchases that I've made IMO.

Flambeur

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Kindle rocks. I like the ipad, but I prefer kindle for real reading - it's not even a contest. eInk >>>> LCD for reading.

v.freeman

Reaction score
**** LCD reading. I don't understand how anyone can do it for any length of time.

Icarus

Reaction score
I like books but I also like preserving forests.

The amazon gadget looks most like a book, the ipad is more like a computer screen, which makes prolonged reading hard for me.

ibleedwhite

Reaction score
thanks for the thoughts guys. now if only that blackberry playbook was here to compare.

ramuman

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by ibleedwhite
thanks for the thoughts guys. now if only that blackberry playbook was here to compare.

Has RIM made a relevant product in the last 3 years?

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 85 37.4%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 87 38.3%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 24 10.6%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 35 15.4%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 36 15.9%

Forum statistics

Threads