• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Kindle vs Nook vs Ipad

Hayato

Reaction score
Haven't played with the Nook, but I've spent some time with an iPad and the Kindle. I think the iPad offers more in the way of better apps, eBook access, videos, etc. and in a much nicer fashion.

BP348

Reaction score
Originally Posted by whiteslashasian
Not sure how $499 vs $139 (new Kindle 3 wifi) is not "much more expensive"
confused.gif
I guess I'm just a small timer.

I haven't priced them lately so I didn't realize there was that big of a price difference. I think the last Kindle I looked at was around $300.

As far as reading goes I much prefer a real book over any ereader.

ConcernedParent

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by ramuman
Has RIM made a relevant product in the last 3 years?

Nah, nobody uses the Blackberry because it's a *************.

medtech_expat

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Brother works at Apple so I got the hook-up a few months back. Aside from some early movie watching, have since used the iPad for reading >95% of the time. Between the glare, weight and poor battery life I took the plunge and ordered the Kindle 3 over the weekend.

ibleedwhite

Reaction score
Originally Posted by whiteslashasian
I know what I'll be getting family members for Christmas this year, and it's not an iPad...

HAHA.

Kindle it is for me.

Nereis

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I bought my brother a kindle for his university courses. He's saved hundreds in textbooks and saved weight in his bag.

BP348

Reaction score
Originally Posted by Nereis
I bought my brother a kindle for his university courses. He's saved hundreds in textbooks and saved weight in his bag.

I've wonderded about using a ebook reader rather then a real text book. I don't know about everyone else but I did a bunch of highlighting and marking what I felt was important in a chapter of a text. I'm wondering how easy or hard it would be to flip back a few pages or even chapter(s) in a Kindle?

ratboycom

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Well, Kindles and Nooks have highlighting ability and if you hack the nook you can highlight and note pages. Also both have bookmarking functions out of the box.

Don Carlos

In Time Out
Timed Out
Reaction score
Any features the Kindle and/or Nook have now that the iPad does not, the iPad will eventually acquire by way of apps, or software updates, or software emulation. Resistance is futile.

Sent from my iPad

ConcernedParent

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Arrogant Bastard
Any features the Kindle and/or Nook have now that the iPad does not, the iPad will eventually acquire by way of apps, or software updates, or software emulation. Resistance is futile.

Sent from my iPad

How about your eyes not straining after a few hours of reading? Perhaps Visine will come up with an app?

ratboycom

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by ConcernedParent
How about your eyes not straining after a few hours of reading? Perhaps Visine will come up with an app?

"There's a Visine for app."

Don Carlos

In Time Out
Timed Out
Reaction score
Originally Posted by ConcernedParent

LOL, I always love hearing this critique trotted out by people who've never handled an iPad. I've read dozens of full-length books on my iPad, including several hundred pages at a time, and I've never had eye strain issues. The Kindle app on the iPad is quite good at emulating the Kindle hardware and screen resolution. iBooks, on the other hand, I'd agree with you about.

robdpittman

Reaction score
Originally Posted by ramuman
Has RIM made a relevant product in the last 3 years?

No. And the Torch is still very 2008.

But this Playbook thing looks very impressive. However, without 3G connectivity I still think the iPad is the best option all-around.

Although E-Ink is infinitely easier to read over extended periods, and the dedicated e-readers have better battery life than the iPad by a long shot.

vinouspleasure

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
kindle 3 for reading books. The nook felt flimsy to me, the kindle is nicely engineered and a pleasure to use. Take an ipad to a beach (or sunny place), try to read and report back.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 92 37.7%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 36.9%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 26 10.7%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 40 16.4%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.6%

Forum statistics

Threads